The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

TC 25 Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick (& Jeff) - we are SO there for the TC255 unveiling cerermony! Alert the press! Snoqualmie Summer Beer will be in full production..we'll just hide it from the Reynolds family in the bushes again!

Byrdman wrote:
Got a quick/short email from Jeff @ C-Dory end of last week. He is indicating both trailer and 1st powered up "TC255"....yep, 255...not TC25 as we have been using.... will be ready in the Jul05 timeframe. I would almost bet that with the sales from the 05 boat show season....it was a no brainer as to where to point the resources for a few months....

At the same time, I recommended to Jeff an "Unveiling Ceremony" of some type...which would make for another great opportunity for all of us to GATHER again. With the factory giving us that feast of a meal in Jan05, I have offered bringing some nice pulled smoke pork and possibly some ribs from our Nashville plant for this event....if they choose to do it. Sure would be nice to get back out there, see the new boat, see some old friends... and possibly sample some more of Pat & Davids goods....and see their new boats too. We could make this a big pot-luck gathering.. All I need from Jeff is dates...me and BBQ will show up...

Thoughts/input or other local knowledge on this topic????

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pat !! Well, we have BBQ & beer.... I guess that is all that is really needed. I can not make it in the 1st part of Jul05...but could after 11Jul05. I have the privalige of having been asked by a soldier to deliver his bride to their wedding in Hilton Head, SC via the water/dock. Should be a very nice gig, and a fun time for sure. I will let other C-Dory owners in the SC area know once details have been worked out. Would be a trip to have a line of C-Dorys drop off the entire wedding party...
I have a slip at Shelter Cove, slip E15 reserved for 1-14Jul05. Now....is the pressure on me to put AC on this TomCat....(hate to cut that hole in the roof)... or wait for ride-out of the new TC255. Might try to find a good used "hatch-mount" AC that I can use for one summer...then re-sale...or use as a fishing reef if I do not like it...and that would save a hole in the roof of Hull#51.... just in case some of those NW boaters would like to buy it.
Byrdman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got another email from Jeff last night...indicating the ready date for TC255 hull #1 would be in Jun....and is going to Greenville, NC to East Carolina University. He did not say who was going to power it...but did say twin 135s... I tossed the idea of an unveiling gig his way every early (east coast side time) this morning and being Sunday, I do not look to get a response until Monday/Tuesday timeframe. Not sure if they work on Mondays or not...?? I really would like to get on one of these for some poking about with the power in the water. What I have is a great boat...but there is something new.....is that not always the way it is with boats... Byrdman
Bob Cat

City/Region: Santa Monica
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Dive Cat
Photos: Dive Cat
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BYRDMAN

We're heading up for a factory visit about the time TC255#1 is coming out of the mold. Purpose is to see fit up and a real view of internals. We need to have a plan in place for installation of the scuba compressor before they start my #2. Maybe Jeff will issue an official press release at that time.

Nonetheless, #2 will go to EQ for electronics and other stuff before being towed to SoCal. I would expect to put her in the water up there for a shakedown (Oh, let's face it. FOR FUN!) so maybe you can come up for a test drive. That would give you a chance to practice carrying BBQ, too! If you can't do that, maybe LA would be better for you (or any other owner/interested party)

I've been looking to the Honda 150's for power but continue to have an open mind as new technology becomes available. It's pretty hard to make some decisions without a TC255 actually in the water. The careful process on the part of C-Dory has at times seemed a little slow, but in the end it has given time to refine planning and prep of my own.

Best to all,
SCALEY
Byrdman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scaley! Thanks for the invite... yes, quality does take time...and I am not sure if they are going to completly finish #1 prior to starting #2, but if they do... I would for sure get on #1 as powererd with the 135s prior to making the MAJOR purchase of two motors in that size catagory... Today, I would toss a coin between the Honda and the Yamaha.. ... but, thankfully for me, today I do not have to make that call. Yep, a trip to LA may also work too. We have some friends who have just moved from Santa Barbara down to San Diego...and we have not been out to see their new home....and Sherryl and I have just upgraded our snokeling gear to AquaLung equipment.... Man, it was nice in the French Polinisian Islands... and the reefs off Bora Bora were simply out of this world and very easy to snorkle around....for hours... Can't get her to dive...too much loss of control for her I think, but the guys at our local dive shop told me I could have all the pool time I wanted and would even hook me up with a female instructor for her for an hour or two if I thought that would help. So, I have not given up...just got her on hold for a spell. We have two very similar links going on this site now about the TC255..... I think I might ask to have them merged into one...and call it TC255.... what ya think?
Bob Cat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BYRDMAN,

Yes, on consolidation of threads . . .

I think they're assembling the hull, deck, and cabin pieces fresh out of the molds in early May first to check for fit, finish and overall appearance. I suppose they'll do a float test with sandbags to simulate weight distribution of typical final form. It may then take about 6 weeks to finish out #1 completely with a new team, new patterns, etc. That's how the late June date came to be. If they don't start #2 until late June, it won't be ready until mid-late August.

I'm thinking (and hoping) that if everything looks good at the early May assembly/production evaluation threshold, they'll make any adjustments and proceed slowly with #2 right away, building on the experience of #1. That's why the 10 May visit.

June and July are nice out here with the water warming up to the mid 60's or so. Bring your stuff and we'll try Catalina. Maybe this calls for some kind of get-together/open house/test drive weekend at Marina del Rey.

Much will be learned in May and a lot of speculation will evaporate.

Best to all,
Scaley
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scaley-

Your post about the "experimental" developments in store as the first TC25 is assembled remind me of our 33 sailboat racing years. In One-Design classes, builders were constantly developing new improved versions to get a speed edge.

The real question became when to buy the new model. The first ones out of the mold were usually imperfect, and basicallyinvolved a learning process as far as the lay up and structural reinforcement details were concerned. They were also usually heavy, which in dinghy sailboats, equals SLOW.

So the trick then was to order hull number 4-7 or so, after the experimenting process and learning curves had produced a fast new boat that was ahead of the competition.

Fortunately, a powerboat like the TC25 is not as weight sensitive as a dinghy sailboat, and the tendency to cut corners to save weight would be less. In fact, most of the layup techniques and structural tie-ins are probably fairly straight-forward and similar to those used on the TC24 and other boats already in production.

Still, looking at the issues they had in deciding how to engineer and enclose all the workings inside the floor on the CD-25, I'd be sure to pay close attention to mine if it were one of the early ones or if I had special needs in this area, etc. Fun watching the project develop! Joe.[/i]

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Bob Cat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf

You're right, and I'd be more concerned if this wasn't a modification of an existing design. The big hull changes will be the 18" addition to length and the squaring off of the transom. Seems pretty straight forward and, with a marine architect reviewing and given the conservative, thorough nature of the company I'm betting the hull will be good out of the mold first time.

The deck and cabin pieces are more of a "fit without stress" issue. How they all go together is in the hands of the fabrication team and that will determine the true strength of the boat and its longivity. Based on how well everyone likes what has been coming out of C-Dory all these years I can only assume there will be no compromise in the new Tomcat. That's what brought me to C-Dory to begin with and I'm really enjoying the participation part of the whole thing It's a fascinating project.

More in May.

Scaley
akalejandro

City/Region: Sitka
State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: The Elephant in the Room Reply with quote

What is it going to cost, and what kind of fuel consumption can we expect relative to the 24? Gotta say I'm a little bummed they ended the 24 - twin 90's and 12 mpg at 30kts had me sold. Bigger engines, does that mean more fuel to operate and a way bigger upfront cost? I'm not sold - someone - please sell me Disgust !
AKAlejandro

Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the link below Les at E Q Marine says $85,000 to $90,000.

Can an owner let us know about the MPG? 12 MPG seems like a lot.

http://www.eqmarine.com/C-Dory%20Boats/cdory_tom_cat_25.htm

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
akalejandro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Sorry Reply with quote

Sorry, I was looking at the performance tables for the TC24 at the CD site. I think it was actually 12 gph at 30, not 12mpg.
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brats:
We have a 2003 TC24 and have been diving,cruising,fishing locally and all over south Florida and the Bahamas and it doesn't matter if we're just out for a sunset cruise or loaded for a dive cruise we get 1.85 nautical miles per gallon consistently regardless. That is much less than our old 22' cruiser but than again it's almost 3 times the boat in size,weight and fuel load. The TC255 looks like it will be a great boat but in all honesty it's just out of our price range and I wouldn't want the extra cost in maintenance and operating cost. We're very comfortable on this boat and though the new one is designed more to our liking (not sweeped back) we have bonded to this boat and it's so unique that the urge to trade faded. It is going to be a great boat though for those who can afford it! The 24 has 110 gallons of fuel, anyone have an info on the fuel load of the new 25?

Salty Dog

City/Region: Traverse City
State or Province: MI
Photos: Salty Dog
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the new TC 255 will hold 130 gallons of fuel. Minimum horsepower is 230 and maximum is 300 HP. Hull weight is estimated at 4200#, so add about another 1,000 pounds in motors and about another 1,000 in fuel and she will be tipping the scale around 6,500# wet.
akalejandro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Molly Brown! Reply with quote

So - if everyone's "movin' up", there should be a few 24's for sale. What'll they run - what'll people be asking?
I looked at the Molly Brown pictures, and totally fell in love! Great custom arch, canvas and graphics!
Ciao,
AKAlejandro
jswygal

City/Region: Miami, FL
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Miami Tomcat? Reply with quote

Hi. Does anyone know if there is a TomCat in the Miami area? I am hoping to have a CD some day soon and the Florida dealer turned turtle. I have been out on a TC25 but, at 6'5" I like the cat's big fore berth and the idea of not pounding on the ICW. I was at Mobile Marine in Alliance, NC earlier this month but they did not have a TomCat. I spent two days on a Rosborough RF246 one the Neuse River at New Bern and it's just not a C-Dory (can't tell my bro-in-law that). Steve in Miami. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: