View previous topic :: View next topic  
hansonby

City/Region: olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SENIOR MOMENT
Photos: SENIOR MOMENT
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: dinghy's again Reply with quote

We are new to boating, have a 22' Cruiser, and after a first trip this weekend to the San Juans we think we need a dinghy. I have reviewed previous posts and ask now if there are any recent/new dinghy recommendations. We want a lightweight dinghy chiefly to row from harbor moorage to shore in order to use facilities, e.g. - at Sucia Is. marine park.

West Marine has an ~8' inflatable model coming up on sale for $299. The oars and oar locks do not look too good. I don't mind paying more for sturdiness, lightness, ease of rowing, and ease of storage. I want to avoid buying a cheap dinghy and then immediately feeling a need to upgrade.

Right now I'm thinking no motor, to avoid the motor/gasoline storage problem.

Ideas/comments?

Thanks,

Byron
C spot swim

City/Region: Juneau
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: George C. Williams
Photos: George C. Williams
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi hansonby

We too are looking for the right dinghy and I can tell you I have looked at just about 20 different models with prices ranging from $300 to $3000! I really like the Portland Pudgy design but it's too large/heavy for us and it's expensive.

I need a light use dinghy and am leaning toward the Mercury line. As much as Zodiaks are proven and popular in our area, I need a dinghy that is under not longer than 8', preferably ~7'.

When anchoring out, we will continue to grumble/laugh and use our $40.00 coleman raft Laughing for ferrying to the beach campsites we make until we find exactly what we want.

Good luck!

Mike

matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Dinghy Reply with quote

I'm curious what dinghy WM will be offering for $300?!? My only concern would be just as you mentioned; be careful about the high end 'toy' type over a heavy duty PVC dinghy. I once bought a high end toy type and there is a huge difference between those and a brand-name PVC for example. Hypalon is probably the best but those are very expensive.

I use a Mercury Roll-up 200. It fits perfectly on the roof of Napoleon between my radar and all-around light.

If you are new to boating, I submit that once you buy a little dinghy engine you would wonder why you ever rowed! Particularly in wind or current of any kind you will LOVE having a little engine. Also, if you don't already have a kicker, the dinghy engine can serve that purpose too.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you are new to boating, I submit that once you buy a little dinghy engine you would wonder why you ever rowed! Particularly in wind or current of any kind you will LOVE having a little engine.

Ditto to what Capt. Matt said; we ran into a slight on-shore wind/current once and I had a very difficult time getting back to the boat with just the two of us on the dinghy. It was exhausting. Once we got the 2.5 horse Suzuki we questioned why we didn't buy it sooner. It holds about 1/2 gallon IIRC and we just carry a very small gas can with another gallon or so for re-fills. I keep it dry in the cockpit and put it on the roof @ anchor.

matt_unique

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Row row row your boat Reply with quote

Hi Mark,
Earlier this season I mentioned the wind flipped my dinghy while tied to the mooring. It was a few weeks of rowing while I reconditioned my motor that had been sitting upside down underwater for a few hours Angry

My mooring is right at the mouth of a river. With the tidal shift we get about 3 knots current and that can be a tough row in an inflatable!

If you must row, you need something like a kayak or a solid dinghy. Of course, this presents other challenges including weight, whether you can carry it solo, etc.
Nan-C

City/Region: Oakland
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Nan-C
Photos: Nan-C
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We recently purchased an 8' Gig Harbor hard dinghy. We have not had a chance to use it yet, but by all reports it is a great rower. While it is our intention to row it -- my wife is adamant -- this thread adds to my suspicion that the small Honda is in our future. The interesting thing about this boat is its weight. Kevlar, 62 lbs.

Regards to all,
Greg
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed more interest in the Portland Pudgy Dinghy. It is a weighty boat for roof hauling and I am now on the second version of our roof loading system but I can say it does tow great and is self bailing with the plug pulled and up to 30 lbs of gear in the storage compartments. It tows very nice up to 18 knots with my boat and length of tow rope and it would likely go faster if you experimented. I have towed it quite a few times now and purposely hit big wakes at all angles and it just slides right through. The deep keel and significant weight and standard towing bridal are really key features. If your speeds are kept inside the normal cruise speeds for our boats, you could just tow it all the time. If towing into a marina, we just pull the line up short and clip to out canvas rail overhead so the Pudgy is following about 3 ft behind the motors and it works great even while backing.
Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i'll take exception to capt. mattie. with strong wind and heavy current i was able to row our zodiac 380 deluxe for approximately 5 miles at 15 knots. the only thing that slowed me down was the fire that occurred where the oar meets the pvc.
check out www.boatstogo.com in the past they have offered some very good deals.
best regards
pat
matt_unique

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Row Reply with quote

patrick and linda wrote:
ok, i'll take exception to capt. mattie. with strong wind and heavy current i was able to row our zodiac 380 deluxe for approximately 5 miles at 15 knots. the only thing that slowed me down was the fire that occurred where the oar meets the pvc.
best regards
pat

Ha ha - you would be the exception then! Did you run out of spinach cans before you reached your destination?
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, just last week, i was visiting with a friend who had just received his dinghy from boatstogo. it was 14', 20" tubes, huge, i know, but looked to be well constructed. he purchased it on ebay including a 2 cycle 40hp outboard. sweet deal.
pat
localboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Row Reply with quote

matt_unique wrote:
patrick and linda wrote:
best regards
pat

Ha ha - you would be the exception then! Did you run out of spinach cans before you reached your destination?

Key word; "WITH"...not against. Wink
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last 28 years, I've owned 3 dinghys: 2 Avons and 1 Achilles. They're made of hypalon, aren't cheap, but are tough. That WM dinghy is polyester, and probably not the best. I had several Sevleyour dinghys like that, and a summer is all you get.

The Achilles, now 5 years old, is still in great condition. It's ideal for a C-Dory, since it has an inflatable floor. This allows it to be deflated and rolled up for a small package. It's a little big (11 ') actually too big, but it did haul 4 people around Yellowstone lake. I would assume that an 8-9 ft would be better for a 22. We tow the dinghy behind the boat, and when we're going a long distance either on the ocean or towing the boat, it's rolled up and stored in the cockpit.

I also bought an electric inflator/deflator. One of the best investments I've ever made. I can turn inflating the boat to the grandkids, since it has an automatic shut-off.

Initially I had a 3 HP outboard, but a 6 HP allows the dinghy to be planed, even with a couple of people. Though not at Yellowstone (8000' altitude.)
You can always slow down with a bigger motor, but a smaller has it's limits.

Boris
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the West Marine Solstice a couple weeks ago that byron mentioned. $299. I found the same one at Outdoor Wholesale for $279 regular price. I am actually pretty surprised by it. Oarlocks and oars might not be top of the line but for a light use dinghy they are more than adequate. The construction seems to be good. Really couldn't find much wrong with it for a PVC dinghy. Super light for its' size. I rowed it around a small lake and fished out of it with two people and it was fine. Drug it across some rocks without a problem. I would prefer to use my Avon but weight is an issue. They are about the same size but while looking at it the other day I found that it weighed like 89 pounds. No going up on the roof for that thing.
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what your price range is, but I went with a Mercury 270 PVC Air Floor. ($999) The Hypalon was about $300 more, but I'm not going to store it in the elements, so the money I saved went towards a 6hp Nissan.

You can get a Mercury roll up for about $650.

I got it at Buster's Marine www.bustersmarine.com and was treated fairly (others on this site don't like Busters).

Mercurys are high quality boats with a great warranty.

Don't know if its what you're looking for, but at least take a look.

John
Swee Pea
localboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-5-BALTIK-INFLATABLE-FISHING-SCUBA-DINGHY-DINGY-BOAT-/200488447199?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eae0aecdf
7.5', inflatable floor, free freight...w/ everthing needed except an engine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: