View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Twin Bridges Marina Reply with quote

I'm considering storing Bess-C at Twin Bridges Marina in Anacortes. When I looked at our usage last year it was all on the west side, either in Puget Sound or in Canada. We generally can't tow the boat over the pass from November until March so she's stored here for 4-5 months with no usage. Our dealer is in the Anacortes area, the stainless guys are in that area, the canvas guys are in that area.

Two day weekends on Puget Sound don't really work for us when we tow from Yakima. By the time we've incurred the stress of towing 200 miles each way, launched and retrieved and found a waste pumpout that works we're more tired than when we left. I like the concept of having the boat at the dock ready to go when we get there, and not having to put her away in the dark after a long weekend.

As you can see, I've almost rationalized the extra storage cost. I know there are some of you on here who keep your boats at Twin Bridges Marina. Would you please give me the benefit of your experience? How has it worked out for you? Am I missing anything? Are there any downsides other than the cost?
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
dan365

City/Region: Port Orchard
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lyle,

It sounds like your pretty well set on the Anacortes area - but before you make the decision you might want to consider other Puget Sound locations; I'm in a covered 28' slip at Port Orchard which is probably closer to you than Anacortes. They have power, phone and water to each slip and have fuel. I pay about $145 per month.

It is quite far from the San Juans if that is your primary destination but very close to Poulsbo, Seattle, Gig Harbor, Blake Island, etc...

Cheers,

Dan
C-Puffin

City/Region: Issaquah
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Puffin
Photos: C-Puffin
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been keeping C-Puffin at Twin Bridges since last July. You really can't beat the convenience of having the boat in the water ready to go when you arrive. Having the pump-out right there on the dock is great too (although it was out of service for a bit this summer). They have sprayers that rinse the boat off as it's lifted out of the water, but we usually have it put on a rack to do a more thorough rinsing or cleaning before the boat is put away.

Really the only downside I can think of is the cost. We typically boat during the week, but a few weekends we've been there the space on the docks get pretty tight and it can be a little chaotic. The parking gets pretty full on the weekends also. Your storage fee includes unlimited launches, pump-outs, and ice. Their hours vary throughout the year, but in the summer they are open until 7:00, so if you come in later than that your boat won't be put away until the next morning. Likewise if you are going to arrive before 9:00 am, you would need to have the boat put in the water the night before. When we go up after work, sometimes we will just stay on the boat at the dock and then head out early the next morning. There is no extra charge for overnight stays or electricity. If you do want to trailer your boat somewhere else, there is a launch site nearby, or they will sling it onto the trailer for you, but I think the fee for that is $30.

They are starting construction soon on boathouses, so I'm not sure how that will affect the dock area. We are also wondering if there will be a rate increase when we renew our lease this year. I know the rates went up last year after the boat show. Our boat measured out at 29 feet so be prepared for that extra per foot charge which can add up pretty quickly.

Overall we have been happy with the service there. Let us know if you have any other questions. It will be great to have another C-dory there.

Laurie on C-Puffin
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyle, I echo Scott's setiments. The one thing you must remember is make a list of everything you need because it is a long way back to Yakima. I ruined one fishing trip by leaving my license at home and it is only 65 miles for me not 200. I also miss the nights when I could go out to the driveway and sit at the helm making engine noises while I plotted waypoints to the Safeway.

Fred
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses Dan, Laurie and Fred. Dan, I agree that there are some other great areas to boat in the Puget Sound area. Since at best I won't be able to check on the boat more than once a month, I like the idea of the heated dry stack storage. I also like the Anacortes area because of the proximity to the San Juans, La Conner, and the Canadian Gulf Islands.

Laurie and Fred, I assume that you store as much as possible on the boat so that you don't have to transport it back and forth. I do wonder about the trailer. It would be easier to leave it there, but I'm not sure about space and cost for that. I understand that you can wash your boat off there, but how about waxing and other general maintenance. Do they have room for you to have the boat on a rack for an extended (up to a day) period of time? Do you have access to power when doing maintenance?
Lyle
C-Puffin

City/Region: Issaquah
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Puffin
Photos: C-Puffin
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you could have your boat on a rack there for as long as you needed. We've never had an issue with space, and once your boat is on the rack it's pretty much yours until you are done. We've never needed power there but I'm pretty sure that it's available.

Scott and Laurie
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyle there is power and water available at the racks. It has been my experience that as long as your not doing major work on your boat that they will let you keep the boat on the rack till your finished with what you are doing. Also located at Twin Bridges is a Honda dealer that will do engine maintenance if needed. They will also put it on the rack for the engine work.

Fred
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: