The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Brass T-Drain Plug
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Brass T-Drain Plug Reply with quote

Is there a better quality Brass T- Drain Plug than the ones you buy from Sea D-g. I have already stripped two of these tightening them in the drain tube.Yesterday i was checking the drain plugs and one was kinda lose..i had to re-tighten it almost one complete turn. I do not know how it had became lose.. The new T-Drain Plugs that they sell are really inferior to the ones that they used to make even 10 years ago. Does anyone know who makes a better quality drain plug. ....If need be is it possibe to take out the old drain plug and replace with a new one while the boat is in the water. Thanks Tug
tomherrick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If need be is it possibe to take out the old drain plug and replace with a new one while the boat is in the water.

Only if you're real name is Jack B. Nimble...
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tug,
Everything I buy lately seems very cheaply made and unlikely to work as advertised. However if you have someone to drive the boat for a few minutes while on plane you can pull the old plug and install a new one without any water getting in. Of course this requires that you install the plug from the inside. This of course calls for days of discussion concerning the pros and cons of installing the plug from the inside versus from the outside.

cemiii

City/Region: Alamo
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: The Last One........ III
Photos: The Last One, III
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I have not tried this, I would think if you had a friend in shallow water you would easily be able to switch from an innie to an outie or vice versa slowly and carefully. For that matter a friend on the other side with a fat thumb, or a little dutch boy, should allow you to change a plug as well.

I've had good luck with the kind that has a lever you push sideways to expand it but I always have another tied next to it.

Jeff & Mimi

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Kristen Rose
Photos: Kristen Rose
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Brass T-Drain Plug Reply with quote

Tug wrote:
Is there a better quality Brass T- Drain Plug than the ones you buy from Sea D-g. I have already stripped two of these tightening them in the drain tube.Yesterday i was checking the drain plugs and one was kinda lose..i had to re-tighten it almost one complete turn. I do not know how it had became lose.. The new T-Drain Plugs that they sell are really inferior to the ones that they used to make even 10 years ago. Does anyone know who makes a better quality drain plug. ....If need be is it possibe to take out the old drain plug and replace with a new one while the boat is in the water. Thanks Tug

Custom Rubber Products makes the automatic drain plug system. I think they were made by tempo Marine products years ago. That is what C-Dory used in 1987 when our boat was built and has sure done the trick for us over the years. You can do a Bing web search and get Custom Rubber Products web site.

rjmcnabb

City/Region: Pender Island (Southern Gulf Islands)
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Luna
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm prepping Luna and thinking about getting a new garboard plug — I never trust them more than one season because they tend to get hard, and re-use does not seem prudent. Putting them in from the inside will be difficult, since the tube is smack-behind the bilge pump, so I have always installed a T-handled plug from outside, where at least I can see it. I worry about the vulnerability, but I keep a lanyard on it in case it does come out.
This situation requires me to snug up the plug several times over a while until it stops weeping.
Short of putting in a threaded pipe (several refs to Custom Rubber Products from several sources have not panned out,) I wonder about bonding the plug in place with a light adhesive. I have used a little Teflon tape, but worry about improving the ease with which the plug can pop out rather than stopping leaks.
Has anyone tried bonding in the plug, or other ways to secure the whole enterprise? Thanks.
Rod

Rod & Jane; Victoria 18 sloop (Vickie) - gone; Islander 26 Bahama sloop (Callisto) - gone; WW Potter 19 sloop (Spring) - gone; Com-Pac 16 sloop (Bummer II) - gone; Nimble 24 yawl (Chatelaine) - gone; Nimble Vagabond cruiser (Loligo) - gone; C-Dory 22 Cruiser (NoddyBleu) - gone; Com-Pac 19 sloop ('Winkle) - gone; San Juan 24 sloop (Loligo^2) - gone; C-Dory 16 cruiser (Luna); Catalina Capri 18 sloop (Later)
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Brass T-Drain Plug Reply with quote

Jeff & Mimi wrote:
Tug wrote:

Custom Rubber Products makes the automatic drain plug system. I think they were made by tempo Marine products years ago. That is what C-Dory used in 1987 when our boat was built and has sure done the trick for us over the years. You can do a Bing web search and get Custom Rubber Products web site.

Jeff-

Is this your plug?

Click on image to view description.

One came with my 1987 CD-22 Cruiser, but I've never used it, using a screw drive T-plug, instead, like so:

Click on image for details.

The latter seems fundamentally simpler and more secure, to me, at least, and especially when combined with a bilge pump or two. YMMV!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

When looking closely at your picture of the screw-in plug there appears some word on it that looks a lot like "C_H_I_N_A stamped into the metal disk. I don't know about you but that would make me nervous.

I also had one jerked out on my 22' CD when a large branch went under the boat and pulled the plug out while anchored up 10 miles offshore. I stuck my finger in the hole while the wife found the spare plug. My finger swelled up when it was in the hole so removing it was a real chore.
Have a good summer.
Jack

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack in Alaska wrote:
Joe,

When looking closely at your picture of the screw-in plug there appears some word on it that looks a lot like "C_H_I_N_A stamped into the metal disk. I don't know about you but that would make me nervous.

I also had one jerked out on my 22' CD when a large branch went under the boat and pulled the plug out while anchored up 10 miles offshore. I stuck my finger in the hole while the wife found the spare plug. My finger swelled up when it was in the hole so removing it was a real chore.
Have a good summer.
Jack

Jack-

The photo and listing are from a supplier, and are not my plugs. I just used them for reference/visual illustration. Mine (I have three to choose from) are as old as my boat, and none made in China, as far as I can tell from their markings. All still work, A-OK!

Yes, we share a marked dislike for products from China, especially when we think or know they may be inferior.

What would happen if the current or some future C-Dory manufacturer decided to have the boats build under contract by a Chinese outfit? Angry

(Would make a good April Fool's Day post!) Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two comments:
It is not that difficult to replace any thru hull, in the water, including putting in a new one. (Austin's method has been in use for over 30 years, and involves 1/8" bit, a hand drill, and a short plumber's friend). Many of the speed logs are paddle wheels, on a thru hull, which is easily removable to be cleaned when fouled with kelp or grass. These can be as big as 2" diameter. There are some quick movements involved, and a little clean up with a bilge pump and sponge after.

I have my reservations about fittings made in China, as much as the next guy. But consider that many high end boats, such as Grand Banks, Nordhavn, Symbol, Ocean Alexander, Cheoy Lee, SunSeeker, Azimut,Merdian, Nova, Marine Trader, Hampton, Marlow, Norseman, and some really high end one off mega yachts.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
(Some deletions)

I have my reservations about fittings made in China, as much as the next guy. But consider that many high end boats, such as Grand Banks, Nordhavn, Symbol, Ocean Alexander, Cheoy Lee, SunSeeker, Azimut,Merdian, Nova, Marine Trader, Hampton, Marlow, Norseman, and some really high end one off mega yachts.

Thanks, Bob. I knew that, just tried to make a (somewhat shallow) humorous comment juxtaposing some different attitudes and beliefs.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: paddle wheel Reply with quote

Hey Bob, remember the first time you pulled that paddle wheel to clean it. I had rags, a tapered plug, and a hammer handy. I didn't know if I would be fighting a fire hydrant, Old Faithful, or ???. I had no idea how I would force the cleaned gizmo back into the hole. Anticlimactic! No problem.
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked my two drain plugs, which I use interchangeably as I store them next to each other under the gunwale and just grab one without looking.
So I checked and one is made in USA and twice the weight of the imported model. I have never had any trouble with either one. Both many years old.
The USA model is made by Moeller Industries and they still make them. They have a website, but other stores also sell them. Just FYI.
Regards,
Mark

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that Moeller has shifted production overseas. Just bought an outboard ear muff and they were from China. An expandable plug is also a low cost item.

However, Moeller has a good reputation, so that's probably the best of the lot.

Boris
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been 7-8 years since my last post on this subject and I am still using the four T-Handle Drain plugs that came with the boat. I have tried others but they all stripe when I turn the T-Handle and never get tight enough to stay in place and feel good about it. I just returned two threaded drain plugs , they didn't fit in my 1985 Angler. My drain plus are getting real old , I 'm not sure what to try next, any suggestions ??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: