View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweet pea

City/Region: Gulfport
State or Province: MS
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sweet Pea (SOLD 10/2012)
Photos: Sweet Pea
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: 1998 16' Cruiser Prop Reply with quote

I just picked up our first C-Dory. A 1998 16' Cruiser. Not my first boat over the years (probably my 12th) but it is our first C-Dory. The 1998 50HP four stroke Honda hanging off the transom does not have any markings on the prop. Just wanted to know if anyone knew the correct (best overall) prop set-up for this motor on this vessel.

Thanks in advance! Teeth

Capt. Charles
C-dore

City/Region: Marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-dore'
Photos: C-dore
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 10 1/4x 10" prop, that at wot reached 5200 rpm boat would not get out of its own way with 3 people on board. I put on a 11 5/8x 11 and it went up to 5600rpm. it made a big difference. I believe that for every higher number of pitch change you will gain 200 rpm. So if your boat goes to 5000 rpm and the manual reads 5400 rpm max then go to a higher pitch prop. Hope I didn't mess you up to bad

Steve
sweet pea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I always though it was lower pitch = higher rpm's. As well as, increasing the wheel size (prop) alone will decrease your rpm's. I use to run/set-up a highend bass boat and a flats boat. Most of that information came from:

http://www.kencook.net/Setupart.html

I was wondering if anyone had a know specific set-up for this exact motor on the 16 Classic. I am looking for 6000 rpm at full useable trim (pre-cavitation with excellent water from telltail) It would save a lot of time (and money) if I could start my prop purchase within the ball park before I pay for more fine tuning. I know there isn't much wiggle room in prop set-up on 16' C Dory, but I sure know me well enough to know I am going to try!

Already installed a SE Sport 300 Hydrofoil (100% better performance so far), and after the Prop Fix (solution) I may install a Hydrolic Jack Plate to give me a greater depth adjustment for when it get unexpectedly rough. Jack plates are wonderful things when you find yourself in skinny water (unusually low tide) or you need more bite when it gets unavoidably rough.
jer2

City/Region: Burke
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: R&R
Photos: R&R
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Honda 50 HP Factory Prop Reply with quote

07/17/10 Swet Pea-

FYI... I just rebuilt my Honda Factory (Stock) Prop (Spec: 11.1"X13" Pitch; 3 blade Alum; Right (Clockwise) Turn; 13 Spline).

See web site for Henry H. Smith, Propeller Reconditioning, 1880 Fruit Rd. Algonac, Mich 48001 (1-800-338-8900) for excellent info on prop size, chacteristics, and performance. West Marine outsources prop rebuilds to this excellent firm.

Also, I have a spare Solas Amita Alum Prop (same approx. size: 11.13"X13") bought from www.iboats.com (Product # 3311-111-13). Got some minor vibration at very low end RPMs docking.

I believe all Honda O/B props (since 1995) haven't changed.

John Roark
R&R
2008 CD 16' Cruiser w/2007 Honda 50 HP Four Stroke (Carbs)
Upper Potomac River (VA) Flotilla
sweet pea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I will research the resources you posted. Looks like this may be my starting point in the 3 blade world. Now I will just need to find a 4 blade equivalent. Then I will have enough information to cause me to mentally debate that issue for a few weeks. 4 blade-3 blade, 3 blade-4 blade. That debate will never end. (I probably will end up with on of each). Teeth
seabeagle

City/Region: Farmington Hills
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Sea Beagle II - Sold 4-19-12
Photos: Sea Beagle II
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came with the 11.1x13 prop. I had a lot of cavitation, and got a new one. Can't remember the size. I have the boat over at my work's warehouse right now. My rpm's run about 5500 with 24 mph max on a heavy 16. My buddy lives right down the road from Henry H Smith and was just telling me that I need to still change my prop.

http://www.youtube.com/SeaBeagleII
sweet pea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should be able to reach max rpm without cavitation. I really think I am going to look into a 4 blade prop. Living here on the MS Gulf Coast a stainless steel wheel is a must. I hope I will be able to try some of the experienced (used) props at a local prop shop before I decide on a final purchase.

Thanks for the information!
I love the Sea Beagle icon you have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: