hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When adding fuel I always add my fuel additives (Stabil and Startron) first, then pump in the gas. so carefully measured the Stabil, poured it into the hole, crossed the cockpit and started to do the same on the starboard side. As I glanced over my shoulder at a "funny smell", I notice this pink stuff running down the gutter under the gunnel. Some idiot poured the Stabil into the flush mount rod holder instead of the fuel fill port. Embarassed

Sure glad it was the Stabil and not the gas hose I put in there. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy. You did what???? My wife and My ex are not allowed in the same state let alone the same boat. I hate hiding bodys Rolling Eyes
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, Harvey, it sounds like you need to get a better nights sleep, maybe you should see somebody about that
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan to go to launch boat and moor in marina for big, exciting fishing derby next day. Wife comes to help, great! We plan to have nice, romantic dinner on boat after securing in slip.
Launch boat, tie to dock. See other fishing-obsessed C-Brat come in from fishing trip. Ask important, fishing related questions:
Any fish? Lost how many? Caught that many? Where? How deep? What lure did you use? What time?
Meanwhile, wife looks into boat and suggests I come over to boat. Yeah, sure, be there in a minute.
Wife implores me to get my a** over to the boat, now! Ok, guess I better get over and see what the big emergency is. Say goodbye to the other fish obsessed C-Brat.
Walk over to boat, OK, what's so important? Oh Sh**! Cockpit floor is flooded and water has crested and pouring into cabin. Wife's purse is sitting in the water. Uh Oh, gosh darn it. Wife asks, "Didn't you put the plug in?" Me says, "I guess not." All the while thinking I could amuse her while impersonating comedian Bill Engvall and say,"I sure 'nuff did, but I guess water is mysteriously coming through another hole down there, oh wait. there isn't another one down there....Here's your sign" or some other witty response. Instead take less volatile road.
Better fix this, I guess. Casually put plug in and turn on bilge pump.
Proceed to drive slowly out and get bow up and let pump do its thing. Wife plays captain while I open plug at bottom of cabin/cockpit threshhold to drain cabin floor and get on hands and knees with towel to dry floor.
With deck drying, moor in marina and enjoy dinner with wife and remark what a "special" time this is. Enjoying boating the C-Brat way!
Smile Smile Smile Smile Confused Shocked

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
Harvey, Harvey, it sounds like you need to get a better nights sleep, maybe you should see somebody about that

I Do Ken.. Check in with Sandman every day at work.......

10-12 hours each day. Wink Arrow Clock

Someday I'll get over it Rainbow

BTW, I've only pulled that one once.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Blue Rose

City/Region: Montgomery
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Blue Rose
Photos: Blue Rose
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While snorkeling in Maui, I didn't understand why I was the only one hearing the humpback whales calling to each other under the water until my wife pointed out that I forgot to take off my hearing aids. Apparently me and the whales were on the same frequency until the aids shorted out.

I'll know the rest of the story when I get the repair bill.

anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: oops Reply with quote

Backed down the steep driveway with both outdrives down. No problem until the props and fins dug into the pavement. I'll never do that again.

Once, as a teenager, I forgot to strap the back end of dad's john boat down to the trailer. I realized my mistake as I crossed a rough railroad embankment and had the boat pass me to port.

Never pass under a bridge that has less clearance than your boat, including the lenghts of the brand new VHS and (then) Loran antennas, that had been installed only days before.

Never make a 90 degree turn in your dinghy unless you have personally checked to see if your teenager really tightened the transom clamps. It would have been nice if he had hooked the OB safety lanyard to the transom eye bolt.

westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignoring local advice: Water in the bay at our community dock is flat as a mill pond, my boat is secured to the dock, and I'm tired. Plus I know it all. Old timer tells me I'd better get her out on a buoy for the night. Brush him off and saunter off to the cabin...wind kicks up late that night. Next morning I find my boat with a grapefruit-size hole in the fiberglass from beating against the dock. Fenders had twisted on their whips and moved out of place. Mike. Embarassed
joefish

City/Region: Great Falls
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: My Girl
Photos: My Girl
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinghy w/motor tied to dock (not very well). Dinghy w/motor drifts under dock. Tide comes in with dinghy/motor under dock. Dinghy/motor found underwater at end of mooring line.

There's more...

Dinghy put on simpathetic next-door-neighbor's boat lift (not very well). Come down to dock with kids next morning. Step in dinghy, toward the stern. Dinghy suddenly flips over with me landing in the water under dinghy. Come up for air -- kids hysterically laughing.

redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are some funny stories. It should be mandatory to post ones experience in order to be on the forum.
Tom on Icarus

City/Region: Campbell River, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Tranquil~C
Photos: Tranquil~C
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is on behalf of my then sixteen year old son.......not saying I haven't had any bloopers. I have but......
I am going out of town to a boat show. My sixteen year old son, with his new drivers license and freedom asks if he can take the 12' lake boat and motor and my truck to a lake to go fishing with some friends for the first time on his own.
Sure, I said......he's been around boats and motors all his life.
Well, as the story goes, one guy put the outboard on the transom but thought another guy tightened the clamps.
Needless to say they wern't trolling when the outboard parted company with the boat and rests today at the bottom of the lake.
My son, the poor soul, worried for hours about how I would react when I got home.
I knew he beat himself up hard over this and definately learned a valuable boater's lesson so I couldn't be upset about it.
I am sure that in his boating future he will always check and recheck to make sure the motor is secure to the boat.

Cheers, Beer
Tom

hardee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't do it but I saw it.

A guy backs down the ramp, his 12 foot Whaler on the trailer, OB in place. Stopped, went back to push it off, didn't go so he jumps into the dingy, starts the OB and puts it into reverse, gets back into the truck and backs farther down the ramp. When the boat launched, he was in the truck, backing towards the deeper water.

The dingy backed out about 30 - 40 feet, and went into a circle, round and round. He cought it jumping form a dock, landed short, but was able to bring it under control. Think his phone got wet though.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL love this thread. I come to you guys for experience and wisdom to help keep myself from making silly mistakes, and I find exactly where the experience and wisdom came from!

We (brother and I) backed Dad's lund into Lake WA on an midnight bass trip one year without the plug, learned good lesson there... pulled the boat and drained the water, took a long time to get the water out. I've since forgotten the plug on the smaller boat a few times... but so far so good on the CD.

Watched dad pull the boat out without raising the OB one year. one new prop later, mildly inexpensive lesson learned.

Watched my buddy take one of my DR balls and toss it into the puget sound thinking it was attached to the DR line. ball goes splash, line stays loose. "hey" he asks, "why isn't the line tight?". That had me rolling on the ground laughing because he spent the prior week telling me we didn't need downriggers to fish for salmon. so I told him, lucky for him, he doesn't need a downrigger fishing for salmon today! lol

First night we ever slept on any boat at all (our new C-Dory), it rained and a little water in the cock pit scared me, made me think our new boat was taking on water, so I set my alarm for every 20 minutes to check throughout the entire night.... (only trace amounts of water that I later realized rolled forward a bit when I put my weight in the birth to sleep).

we have been really fortunate so far, nothing serious, but 2014 is just starting Twisted Evil

pflash

City/Region: Cape Coral
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CERIUM(IV)
Photos: CERIUM(IV)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of a story I got from my friend who worked in statistics at the Naval Postgraduate School. Two Navy Lts at the school checked out a sailboat. Off they went in to the bay only to sink at an inconvenient distance from the shore due to lack of a plug. I wonder if they ever got promoted?

Pflash

1639 Beach Pkwy #202, Cape Coral, FL 33904 (Oct-May)
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I raised fish (seahorses) I remember people said in the aquarium world "only bad things happen fast".

I used to watch people try to rush their boats in and out of the launch and make mistakes along the way. I think 1/2 the reason my dad sold his boat is because the boat launch stressed him out too much. people are jerks and tend to try to rush you out of their way. I decided a few years back I was going to take my time, walk circles around my boat before it goes into the water and I will get in and out of there at a speed which is appropriate to be safely and adequately prepared. I wont rush others and I wont let others rush me. I dont mean to be a jerk about it, but my boat is my most expensive toy and I won't risk damaging it. (and I won't ask anyone else to risk theirs!)

last year the folks at a popular launch asked me if I could pull my boat up to a different area to finish my tie down process and I said no. I told them I'd not dilly dally, I'll get out of their hair as soon as I can, but I would rather not rush myself and forget anything. They were very very respectful and said they understood 100%, take my time and be safe they said.

with that said, I'll keep a log of my 2014 mistakes (lessons) and the cost of said education/tuition for tax purposes. lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: