City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
Hit the same rock in a rented 12 fter while watching a girl skiing. twice.

Tom, what is wrong with that? It certainly doesn't seem to qualify as a "Foolish Mistakes 101" to me.... Smile .

C-Brat #16
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about, after helping several C-Brats shove off from the dock at Stuart Is. I climb in my own boat to catch up with the group. We get half way to Poet's cove before I realize Chloe, our 12 lb. terrier, is not on the boat. A quick 180 and back to the dock. There she was at the end of the dock. If dogs could talk, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to print what she was thinking. Boy did I feel stupid. Embarrased
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveS wrote:
starcrafttom wrote:
Hit the same rock in a rented 12 fter while watching a girl skiing. twice.

Tom, what is wrong with that? It certainly doesn't seem to qualify as a "Foolish Mistakes 101" to me.... Smile .

Depends on whether Susan was in the 12' boat with him! Shocked

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
arniehuff

City/Region: Red Bluff
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Loose Nut
Photos: Loose Nut
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up early - loaded boat - To harbor and launched - said "Good Morning" to Game Warden. Under Weigh to fishing grounds. Recieved call from spouse - Fishing License at home!!!
DoryLvr

City/Region: Cape Charles
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Litl' Tug
Photos: Litl' Tug
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgetting to put the hitch lock in the down position, luckily there were safety chains.

Forgetting to unhook the safety chains after unhitching and parking the boat along the side of the house...and then pulling away and wondering why the boat is still following you.

Forgetting bait.

Tying the dock lines tight during a high tide and then coming out to a boat hanging on the pier.

Loosening the dock lines to release your hanging boat, and then coming out at high tide to see your boat caught under the pier.

"The art of seamanship is never allowing yourself to get in a situation where you have to know anything about the subject."
POSSUMGAS

City/Region: virginia beach
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: HUNKEY DORY
Photos: HUNKEY DORY
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: The right type of trailer jack Reply with quote

When I was growing up. My dad had a 1964 16 ft Texas Maid. The trailer got a flat. The only jack we had was a ratchet car jack. That was tooooo long. put gouges in the side. He never did fix them. Also if you see needle bearings flying out the hub ,Stop. Also DONOT LOSE THE HUB NUT. As a family. we had a lot of fun with that boat. 1964 TEXAS MAID 16 ft with a 1964 75 hp V4 EVENRUDE. Very Happy DONOT EVER FORGET to make sure the trailer is secured to the hitch ball. Shocked
cemiii

City/Region: Alamo
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: The Last One........ III
Photos: The Last One, III
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left the motor cover off an I/O I had advertised for sale. Big storm came in that very night and blew the boat cover off in just the perfect "V" funnel formation (up against the flame arrester) to fill the entire engine right up to the choke plate. Did not realize it and wondered why it wouldn't turn over.

Had a prospective buyer coming over in a half hour. Too embarrassed to tell him the story and not knowing the extent of any permanent damage, I just told him "sorry the boat had been sold". As I recall, he offered to increase the price if I canceled the other thransaction. Even a white lie doesn't seem to let you off easy.

Perfect case of Murphy's law.

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry I did the same thing with my brother at the store. I just got my license and begged to to to the store for my mother, anything to drive. She made me take pat with me. When I got home I was unloading the car and mom ask" weres pat?" Oh Hell.. I ran back to the store and he was at the curb reading a magazine.

your just luck a eagle did not get that dog of yours, well not enough for a full meal.

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I see this small sailboat show up anchored in Henderson bay in front of our house.

Strange time of year to see that.

This bay is also very popular with windsurfers and kiteboarders and you know what that means.

The wind picks up a bit and I can tell the boat is dragging anchor at least a little.

More wind comes overnight as it does very regularly and I figure the boat dragged for sure.

The view that morning and still this morning.

As I reread my anchoring book I am reminded that even the best gear (like I just bought for the 19) won't make up for a lack of poor judgement.

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun thread that I had not seen before. I can add one: Problem caused by distraction (to top it off, the distraction was caused by anticipation of a problem that never even occurred).

Place was Lake Powell. This was my first real trip with the 22, and docking it is not easy for me as it's (for me) an "odd" combination of things that were different for me on other boats, that, put together, are tricky for me. For example:

Tiller steered outboard? Grew up with one and it feels like an extension of my arm.
Wheel? No problem, been driving cars for years.
Levers for throttle and transmission? Fine, had them on bigger, single-screw boats... but I'm used to them being separate levers (so when I want to speed up in reverse I push the lever forward like I'm used to...)

Putting the above all together in the same boat is proving to be a challenge for the old motor memory (and the mental visualization/understanding what I need to do as well, which for me is actually the main thing). Anyway, on this day a sub-group of the Powell CBGT gang was heading into Dangling Rope marina for re-supply. I'd been in there a few times before, so knew in general what to expect. There is a breakwater of sorts that you round (between it and shore) on the way in to the docking area. Was I focused on the task at hand? NooOOOooo. I was worrying in advance about docking the boat with an "audience" of experienced C-Brats. Bad move!

There is an unmarked ledge to starboard as you head around the breakwater. Well, there IS an orange ball there, but it marks the termination of a rope/anchor and not the ledge which is nearby but not under the ball. Not that that's much of an excuse. Naturally (and preoccupied), I swung a bit wide and ran right up on the ledge Embarassed I felt like a total idiot as it was clearly visible in the sunlight, and plus I knew it was there from before. Jeeze! Luckily I was only going about 1-2 knots, and was easily able to back off (later I checked and it only put a whisper of a mark into the gelcoat... whew). To top it off, I actually glided *perfectly* into the slip (once I got there), but... no-one was watching anyway Rolling Eyes

I thus named it "Bonehead Ledge." I have managed to keep away from it on several subsequent visits, and now it serves as a reminder to focus on the task at hand, not possible future vanity/embarrassment. But..... stupid!
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:

As I reread my anchoring book I am reminded that even the best gear (like I just bought for the 19) won't make up for a lack of poor judgement.

Wait a second, isn't a lack of poor judgement a good thing?
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:

Jim and Anne

City/Region: Cape Cod
State or Province: MA
Vessel Name: CompanionShip
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about forgetting to turn the fuel on when leaving the mooring. I can confirm that there is just enough fuel in the lines to get into the middle of the mooring field before the motor sputters to silence. Of course it happened with guest on board. And yes, the smart sailor should use a checklist.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnr wrote:
Aurelia wrote:

Yeah I reveresed that on accident but didn't notice in time.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topping off the diesel fuel tank with the potable water hose.

Leaving my significant other aboard alone with my "X" while I went snorkeling with the kids.

Aaarrggg!

Aye.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: