The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cleaning Full Boat Covers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Cleaning Full Boat Covers Reply with quote

Has anyone had their Sunbrella boat cover cleaned professionally? After five years of lots of pollen, dust and who knows what else, it is pretty groady. I was thinking about either a sail loft, or checking with my local canvas folks to see what they recommend.

After cleaning, is there any treatment that should be put on the Sunbrella?

Recommendations??

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Questions. The most I have done with mine (Burgundy almost full cover) is to hose it off, and use a little brush on the bird droppings. It is still holding up pretty well and is at least 5 years old:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=SleepyC&id=IMGP6319&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=SleepyC&id=Desktop_Picture&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, it looks like we both have King boat covers, although mine has been modified to handle the radar arch. I am not sure how effective a brush, soap and water would be on mine. Structurally, it is fine, but there is some deep embedded grim (dust and pollen) that I suspect need more attention.
richnkay

City/Region: Greenville
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Annalee
Photos: Annalee
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A neighbor in my marina was telling me about cleaning his sunbrella yesterday. He said he used a soft brush and mild dish soap and when dry he sprayed it with a water repellant product (like Scotchguard) I thought he said it was a Sunbrella product but I could not find it on the Sunbrella web site, in a quick look. At any rate he said his Sunbrella is 5 years old and holding up well. Maybe a closer look at Sunbrella's web site or an e-mail to them would give you some good cleaning and treatment tips.
Rich, NY

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had cleaning instructions posted here before.

Depending on yur needs and problems, one or more of these sites will serve you well:

Cleaning Sunbrella

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richnkay wrote:
...a water repellant product (like Scotchguard) I thought he said it was a Sunbrella product...

Sunbrella recommends 303 High Tech Fabric Guard:

Quote:
Re-treating the fabric
As part of the finishing process, Sunbrella fabrics are treated with a fluorocarbon finish, which enhances water repellency. This finish is designed to last for several years, but must be replenished after a thorough cleaning. Based on test results,
Glen Raven recommends 303 High Tech Fabric Guard™ as the preferred re-treatment product for Sunbrella fabrics. Fabrics should be re-treated after thorough cleaning or after five years of use.

For more information on re-treatment products, please visit www.303products.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: