HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Lewmar 1000 Pro on a 22
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Lewmar 1000 Pro on a 22 Reply with quote

Is anyone out there using a Lewmar 1000 Pro Horizontal Windlass on their CD-22? I've found a really good deal on a NIB 1000 pro and am wondering if it's too much windlass for the 22. I also thought it was bigger than the 700 pro but it turns out they're the same size with the same footprint according to the Lewmar website. Does that sound right?

Your thoughts.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a recent Lewmar Pro 1000 and it looks just like my Pro 700 as far as the case, etc. I believe it usually comes with a 5/16" gipsy (vs. a 1/4" one) and it may require slightly heavier cabling (draws more).

I would think you could buy another gipsy (if you already have 1/4" chain) but check that out, as when I bought one for my Lofrans Royal it was surprisingly expensive. Might be cheaper/better to buy new chain (or maybe you don't have any chain now anyway).
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The down side is that you may be locked into the 5/16 HT chain. This means more weight in the bow--and a heavier chain than you need. Basically the same as the 700--but the gypsy/chain wheel.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sunbeam and Dr. Bob. That's what I suspected. I might have to pass on the deal. We don't anchor much anyway and then I would have to drill that big hole in the bow deck, get a new bow roller, new rope and chain. It adds up $$$$.

If anyone else on the site is interested, the seller has been trying to sell a NIB Lewmar 1000 Pro series for $550. That's a great price! Check it out on Bloodydecks.com.

Peter
letitride

City/Region: San Jose
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: No Limits
Photos: Letitride
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Lewmar Pro fish 1000 on my CD-22 worked great with 180ft of chain and 200ft of rode......

As other have stated you'll want to ensure the gypsy is the correct one for your chain type that is sold with the unit, you might have to order a different model gypsy and that could affect the overall cost of the purchase.
Blake

City/Region: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: C-Fury
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Lewmar Pro-1000 Reply with quote

Hi Peter
I just bought a Pro-fish 1000 and I plan to install the windlass, switch and breaker myself. Then Ill get a pro to install the relay and wiring. I was told by a reliable source that this is a good fit for the 22 even though there are more compact models. Nothing wrong with a more robust unit. The dealer changed the gypsy to 1/4" at no extra charge, unit here was $1000 CDN
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Lewmar Pro-1000 Reply with quote

Blake wrote:
Hi Peter
I just bought a Pro-fish 1000 and I plan to install the windlass, switch and breaker myself. Then Ill get a pro to install the relay and wiring. I was told by a reliable source that this is a good fit for the 22 even though there are more compact models. Nothing wrong with a more robust unit. The dealer changed the gypsy to 1/4" at no extra charge, unit here was $1000 CDN

Thanks Blake. Now that sounds like a good option. The fact of the matter is, we keep saying we're going to anchor out more but usually don't so I guess I'll save my money for now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Peter
Blake

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Pro-1000 5/16" & 1/4" chain Reply with quote

My dealer switched the 5/16 gypsy for a 1/4 at no extra charge when I bought the unit so I think it's pretty easy to change it over.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You keep saying you are going to anchor more but you don't because its a pain to anchor and pull anchor with out a windlass. If you have one anchoring is such a none event that you will anchor at the drop of a hat. We anchor just to take a break or have lunch, wait on crab pots but don't want to drift, take the dog for a potty break. if you have it you will use it. At that price I would get one.

Oh on the chain. Change the drum or get the right size chain. if you get the bigger chain you dont have to use as many ft for the same weight.

Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
You keep saying you are going to anchor more but you don't because its a pain to anchor and pull anchor with out a windlass. If you have one anchoring is such a none event that you will anchor at the drop of a hat. We anchor just to take a break or have lunch, wait on crab pots but don't want to drift, take the dog for a potty break. if you have it you will use it. At that price I would get one.

Oh on the chain. Change the drum or get the right size chain. if you get the bigger chain you dont have to use as many ft for the same weight.

No Tom, i don't mind pulling an anchor by hand. I've still got the strength and back to do it. It's just that all of our trips this year have been to gatherings with docks. FH, Pender Harbour, PLI, Victoria. When we truly commit ourselves to spending our vacations in remote anchorages, then I will invest in an anchor.
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzmanic wrote:
starcrafttom wrote:

No Tom, i don't mind pulling an anchor by hand. I've still got the strength and back to do it. It's just that all of our trips this year have been to gatherings with docks. FH, Pender Harbour, PLI, Victoria. When we truly commit ourselves to spending our vacations in remote anchorages, then I will invest in an anchor.

Oops that should be windlass, not anchor.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want a Lewmar 1000 instead of a 700 or 500? Either of the above should handle all the anchoring you'll ever need with a 22. Not only are both of those cheaper, they accommodate the 1/4" chain and 1/2 line typically used on a 22, or even a 25, such as Journey On

Is there some reason about which you can tell us?

Boris
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris,

The only reason I even considered the 1000 was because a guy is selling a new in the box 1000 for $550 on a fishing site I frequent. That's the only reason since I consider that price a steal. However my first choice is the 700. I think I'll wait for now.
Blake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: lewmar 1000 Pro-Fish on my 22 cruiser Reply with quote

All the wiring and switching is in place. Just ready to mount the windlass this weekend. Going to use an epoxy sealer at the deck penetrations. Looks good and everything seems to fit. 50' of chain w/ 250' of three strand rode as per Lewmar guidelines. Not sure at this point if the hawse will be sufficient. Thanks for the encouragement to do my own wiring. Probably better than most shops would do as soldering rather than crimp connectors will last much longer.
Blake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Pro-Fish Windlass now on my 22' cruiser Reply with quote

Just completed installing my windlass today. Thanks to those who encouraged me to do it all myself. Fact is, I paid more attention to detail than any hourly installer could have. All the connections are soldered and bedding the unit through the deck has extra coatings of epoxy and fiberglass. Looks great too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: