Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 8 Y/O original Lewmar 600 died last week so today I completed the removal and reinstall of a new 700V. Went pretty straight forward using the original toggle two way switch and original 35 Amp breaker which were factory installed. Only had to do a little additional cutting of the deck hole and drill on 3/8" mounting hole. I think I may have a cover made to snap over the windlass to protect it from the elements for the 95% of the time it isn't used.

The instructions indicated that there were two small wires that came from a built in magnetic detector that I was really hoping to use as I had added an outside reed switch to the old unit. No wires to be found. Bummer. Have to go back to the exposed switch and magnet on the gypsy.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I called the factory they were unaware that the wires/magnetice counter were no longer being installed in the unit They have sent me one of the shelf that I can "pop" in to the recess slot at the bottom of the gypsy on the underside.
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a question about installing a Windlass on a 22.

Where is the chain and rode stored? Does it cut into headroom and space in the birth? Where does the water drain when you pull anchor?

Sorry for so many questions, I looked for photos of others installs but they just show the Windlass from the outside.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a triangular space at the bow end of the vee berth. The rode goes there, windlass or no windlass. There is a small drain, usually on the port side with a clamshell cover over it on the outside. It is the drain for the rode space. Occasionally people have commented that the drain is too high to allow complete drainage. There have been some issues with minor water intrusion into the hull if the drain was just drilled with no sealing. Some people have sealed the inside of the drain hole, others have put a tube into the hole and sealed that. The space for the rode, "anchor locker" is a normal feature of 22's so adding a windlass shouldn't change the space in the "locker". We have a Lewmar V700 windlass, 35ft of 1/4 chain and 300 ft of 1/2" 3 strand that fits into the space but it is tight. Were I to do it again I would probably go with a horizontal windlass instead of the vertical version.
billtwymank

City/Region: Pinehurst - New Bern, NC
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lady KC
Photos: Lady KC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Lewmar Windlass Thermal Circuit Breaker---Loose Connections Reply with quote

Just a heads up.........

Our Windlass stopped working after 6 years.........
checked for 12Volts..........

***found out that both bolts that connect the red wires to the thermal circuit breaker were loose!
I am not sure if they were ever fully tight......
as it is nearly impossible to tighten.........
because they are located under the sink.........
in a small space
between the side of the sink and the bulkhead
behind the helm seat on our TomCat.

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Captains Cat"]I have had endless problems with my V700. Sometimes it will run fine for awhile (2 minutes - 10 minutes (while running on a new rode and chain) and then it will just quit. If I come back sometime later (2 hours - 10 hours), it will do the same thing again.

I have replaced the main ckt breaker, cleaned all the contacts on the up/down switch, verified all the connections good and voltage is present. I can't measure it under load (if it won't run, I don't have a load). Have searched the manual and cannot see any internal trip type motor protection. Can't call Lewmar today. I want to use the boat this weekend.

I just took off the old rode/chain, it ran fine when running it out. In winding the new one on, it quit after about 15' last night. This morning, I replaced the main breaker, checked all the connections (again) and then it ran fine until it got about 185' of the rode wound in, still have 15' of rope and 25' of chain to go and it's "dead" again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Charlie (BSEE, MSEE, E.Engr) :roll:[/quote]

maybe you need bigger wire between battery & switch?

:wink:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: