journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had the original V600 winch take a dive and replaced it with a V700. $642, with shipping. A couple of ocmments.

First the V700 isn't just a drop in replacement for the V600. Lewmar redisigned it, made it a bit bigger and has it made in Thailand. The unit has a different bolt pattern for one bolt and the case is slightly bigger. I just had to drill one new hole and enlarge the opening. Nothing shows. The unit came with a up down switch, a breaker AND a bi-polar relay. Since I'm out cruising, I'll install that relay this winter. The old switch works fine and I'll continue using it.

A more serious comment is that the V700 doesn't take the 1/2" rope that's part of the existing rode. It does feed the chain and chain splice, but the rope is too big and stiff, so that it releases from the gypsy instead of going down to the anchor locker. I have some Samson 6 strand plaited rope that fits the gypsy and I'm going to splice it onto the chain this week. Untill then I'll pull the line down as it leaves the gypsy.

Boris
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Lewmar V700 windlass installation Reply with quote

a 1/2 inch drive socket ratchet would seem like a good thing to have along for boats with Lewmar windlasses.
D.D.

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Lewmar V700 windlass installation Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
a 1/2 inch drive socket ratchet would seem like a good thing to have along for boats with Lewmar windlasses.
D.D.

I think my 600 came with one and I have it somewhere, unless I sent it to Starcraft Tom when I sent him the windlass for parts. Don't think the new 700 I installed did, as I recall it was yellow and I haven't seen it around. Just a handle with a splined fitting on it, no ratcheting but able to clutch/unclutch the gypsy head.

Had the same experience as Boris in installation of the 700 in place of the 600 except I didn't get the relay in the box, only the switch/breaker and windlass. Have ordered the breaker to be installed on Captain's Cat when it comes in.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spline wrench is closer to 3/4 inch but not close enough to work. I have a hex headed 1/2 inch bolt that is pretty close and I will be bringing that and the 3/4 square head bolt down to the boat with a grinder tonight.
Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a V700 a few years ago and it has been trouble-free. (Drilling the hole in the deck was scary but using the template made the work pretty easy.) It accepts a 1/2 inch ratchet and I carry one aboard. It also accepts the 1/2 inch 3 strand line that was part of the original rode. I spliced an additional 100 ft of three strand to it last year giving me 300 ft of line and 35 ft of 1/4 bbb short link chain. I do take all the rode out of the locker once or twice each year, hang it out in the sun and spray it with fresh water and simple green to get the accumulated crud off and keep it relatively soft. Works so far. The windlass feeds the rope/chain splice and long splice (where I added more line) but occasionally binds and I have to let a few feet out and try again to get everything in the anchor locker. Never had such a problem I couldn't get it all aboard. The biggest problem is that with as much line/chain we have aboard the drop from the deck to the locker is too short sometimes and my wife, (or I if she's running the windlass), has to go up in the Vee berth and move the pile around. The windlass will bind if the pile of chain or line gets too close to the bottom of the windlass.
Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you are all talking about the current model with the off-center cap like this.

http://www.tyboat.com/administrer/upload/V700.jpg

Mine looks more like this and the spline hole is larger. I need to confirm the model I have but the manual is for a 700. Maybe an older 700.

http://homeshopsite.com/img_goods/boating/sprint-600-windlass-f-boa.jpg
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any chance that there is confusion between the various Lewmar 700 series windlass? There is the V, the H, and the Profish. My experience is that the horizontal will allow the line to fall better into the chain lockers. The down side is that the motor is on the deck (may not be a bad thing, since there is high humidity in the chain lockers)--and the windlass has a larger profile.

The current windlass on Thataway uses the 1/2" socket--which is handy, since a standard tool socket with a ratchet works well. Some of the new windlass use a standard winch handle socket--which has been the standard on sailboat windlass (as well as mid size power boats windlasses for many years. This is either square or 8 sided, and used in primary and secondary winches on sailboats.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is the current model as shown in Aurelia's link.
Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a sailor but after realizing the similarity to winch handle fittings, I just picked up an aluminum one that looks like the right size to try out tonight!
Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aluminum Lewmar winch handle broke it free perfectly and I cleaned and lubed the above deck parts without a hitch. Saved me lots of tool making time. At it is a sprint 600 model with a larger star socket about 3/4in.
JGrider

City/Region: Laplace
State or Province: LA
Vessel Name: Jeannie's VOO DOO
Photos: Jeannie’s VOO DOO
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Lewmar V700 windlass installation Reply with quote

Hello, I ordered some premade wire for my windlass install and I wanted tell everyone that what I received was just great. I ordered and recevied four days later. I think this very reasonable at about half of what it would cost for the material alone at West Marine. Please let me know if this was a bargain or not. Wire vendor

GREG'S MARINE WIRE SUPPLY
PO BOX 264
GREENVILLE PA 16125-0264

Wire 56 x 0.79 = 44.24
Lugs 10 x 0.79 = 7.90
Labor 10 x 1.00 = 7.00
Shipping = 7.95

Total = 67.09

2 ft Red AWG #8 marine tinned W 3/8 x 5/16 Lugs and shrink wrap

16 ft Red AWG #8 marine tinned W 5/16 x 5/16 Lugs and shrink wrap

11 ft Red AWG #8 marine tinned W 5/16 x 5/16 Lugs and shrink wrap

16 ft Black AWG #8 marine tinned W 5/16 x 5/16 Lugs and shrink wrap

11 ft Black AWG #8 marine tinned W 5/16 x 5/16 Lugs and shrink wrap

Home port: LaPlace, Louisiana
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg's Website Looks great. If my windlass wasn't already wired mostly up, I'd buy some too. I just have to add the relay. Will keep them in mind for future orders though. Pricing looks very reasonable!! As long as your tape measure was accurate!! Shocked

Charlie
JGrider

City/Region: Laplace
State or Province: LA
Vessel Name: Jeannie's VOO DOO
Photos: Jeannie’s VOO DOO
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Lewmar V700 windlass installation Reply with quote

I bought the dash switch and a foot switch from Ebay. Same guy has a relay the might be what you are looking for.
He offered it to me for $25.00 but I have already spent more than the boss has given me permission to spend for a while. Last week it did not sell but he has it listed for $35 which is still about half price. if you trust Ebay?

Item number: 220831421584
SIMPSON LAWRENCE WINDLASS CONTROL SOL.

THIS IS A CONTROL THAT IS SUITABILITY FOR THE MODELS HORIZON EXPRESS ,HORIZON 1500.SPRINT 900, SPRINT 1500, ANCHORMAN POWER 700, ANCHORMAN 1000
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about the installing the windlass control box that Les and Joe describe.

Is it better to locate the solenoid near the batteries (under the aft dinette seat in my case) or near the windlass? Or does it matter either way?

jd
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimrod wrote:
I'm thinking about the installing the windlass control box that Les and Joe describe.

Is it better to locate the solenoid near the batteries (under the aft dinette seat in my case) or near the windlass? Or does it matter either way?

jd

I'd put it where it's most likely to both stay out of the moisture and be easiest to install and work on, and that would be the back of the helm station, IMHO.

Both the under seat location and forward by the windlass are harder to work on locations, and are more likely to have moisture condensation around them, I'd think. Plus the extra wiring and relay itself would look more at home behind the helm.

Also, if you want to make a hand-held wired remote to stick up through the forward hatch to be able to remotely work the windlass from the front deck when you're experiencing a fouled rode or need to help wash down / brush off the anchor and / or rode, it will be easier to wire it into this location than the other two.

Just my two cents worth! Have fun!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: