View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Stung on eBay deal...(Garmin 2006C) Reply with quote

I knew it was possible to get stung, but had a few very successful purchases on eBay, so when I noticed the ad for a "new" Garmin 2006C for $950 I waded-right-in.

...that was December 12th.

Three weeks later nothing had arrived and I was beginning to get pretty steamed. Began to check-it-out, and the more I checked, the smellier (is that a word?) it got. Happily, I'd paid via creditcard and PayPal, so I'm still hopeful for a refund. (I can hear some of you chuckling ... but I'm still a bit of an optimist.)

After the refund issues are resolved, I will be checking into the possibility of a criminal complaint for fraud with the seller in Cave City, KY. Several other folks got burned by the same seller, so there may be a line at the Sheriff's Office!

This is the first time I've gone through the PayPal refund process - interesting. Supposedly they automatically cover deal up to $1K, but we'll see. Stay tuned.

'Caveat emptor...
Casey

If anyone wants to check the details, see if you can pull-up eBay item #5737649333. It's a completed sale so you may or may not be able to see it.
C-Dory Naknek
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that this seller has a lot of good feedback and a few other higher priced items sold and delivered. Everything looked great untill just recently.
Perhaps there has been an unfortunate event i.e. death or a virus on his computer or something?.

In any case I hope this works out for you. Keep us posted and good luck...

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bummer... Yep, after a refund, you will just be out of a little time... American Express has ALWAYS been good to refund when good deals go bad. When Sherryl and I have traveled, we have paid for the goods and for them to be shipped home...and about 98% of the time things go 100% as planned. But, every now and then, things do not show and a quick phone call to AE has corrected it 100% of the time...other than not receiving the goods, but getting the dollars back. Sorry you have had a problem.
Byrdman
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta add something we all know -- but I was a marine elctronics dealer for quite a spell and am familiar with some of the economics involved.

There are many well-known and respected marine electronics delears on the web that you can trust. Their prices are generally the same as a dealer must pay wholesale, and in many cases even less. These guys make their money on the float... huge dollars.

If an eBayer offers a piece of gear for less than one of the big guys there's gotta be a reason. Pick one... but I'd be wary of anything offered for less than wholesale!

Additionally, some manufacturers will not honor a warranty unless purchased from an authorized dealer...

My major addiction, other than C-Dory, is vintage cameras, so I spend much time on eBay. I'm involved with scam artists at least 1/3 of the time -- and not by choice! Streets and alleys are full of them. It doesn't mean you can't get a good deal on eBay, but just be very careful!!

Sure sorry Casey got stung, but the credit card company will probably take care of it.

Dusty
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Good News (Mastercard Refund)... Reply with quote

Just checked the Mastercard and found they refunded 100%, yesterday. Oh, THANK YOU MASTERCARD! Have already sent an appreciative email to them!)

With the supportive comments from so may C-Brats I sort of feel like I'm in the midst of a group hug or something. ...not particularly accustomed to that, but it feels good. Thanks!

Now maybe I can focus on doing something for (or to...) the seller ... heh, heh, heh. The suggestion that there might be a "reasonable" excuse for the sellers action was nice, but I have developed additional information (that I can't really share); and this was simply a fraud, from beginning to end. I'm confident the seller will see the error of her ways.

Anyway, thanks, Friends.

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
(...the one without the Garmin 2006C!!!) Dang.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey, glad you got your $ back. Like you, I've had many good transactions on e-bay, some for large (3K) bucks.

Had one for a radar from Europe where the guy wanted me to send $ to a western union in Prague, couldn't send me a serial number or anything on the unit. I strung him along for awhile and then sent him a copy of an e-mail I sent to the FBI internet fraud unit. Needless to say, never heard from him again.

Kinda like the nobelman from Nigeria that wants to put money into your account if you'll only give him the number and your PIN. Yeah, right!!! Crook Disgust Smile

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to Daddy, boys: If the deal seems too good to be true it probably is.
-- Chuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: