The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

TomCat's Battery Charger
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike...

State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: Accelerando
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: TomCat's Battery Charger Reply with quote

Hello.

The TomCat came with a Guest 2621 to charge its three batteries.

What does the group think of this charger?
---
mike
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Charge Reply with quote

Works...slowly...but works.
Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Mike...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, is there a preferred model?
---
mike
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Charge Reply with quote

Some C-Brat's with high DC power demands have opted for models that can charge more/faster. I think Dr. Bob and perhaps Warren? installed a higher capacity charger.

The stock charger has offered plenty for my needs though. For example, last weekend the wife and I cruised 110nm. The first leg was 2 hours running the refer and electronics the whole trip down. Once at a slip, I switched the refer to shore power and switched on the bat charger. Within a few hours she was all charged up.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The provided charger is "inadequate" for us. It puts out 5 amps for each starting battery and 10 amps for the house battery. We put in a Prosine 40 amp charger. I might have considered the 50 or 60 amp multi battery unit "TruCharge 2". Also MasterVolt master charge, is a high output unit with a good reputation. BUT, you have to have the battery banks for these bigger chargers. I have replaced the original batteries with Group31's and then added a second bank of group 31's. I left the original charger on the house and engine start--and then the 40 amp on the two additional batteries. These "extra" batteries are used to run the refer or inverter. Now if you wanted to put in 4 golf carts, and a big inverter, I would recommend the Magum MS 2012U orMS 2812U. These have either 100 or 125 amp charger, plus a good monitering system.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Mike...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Again. Smile

thataway wrote:
I have replaced the original batteries with Group31's and then added a second bank of group 31's.

Group 31s are deep cycle, yes?

thataway wrote:
We put in a Prosine 40 amp charger.

Oooo. That's a charger/inverter. Neat.

thataway wrote:
I left the original charger on the house and engine start--and then the 40 amp on the two additional batteries. These "extra" batteries are used to run the refer or inverter.

Where did you put the two additional batteries?

thataway wrote:
Now if you wanted to put in 4 golf carts, and a big inverter, I would recommend the Magum MS 2012U orMS 2812U.

Why golf cart batteries instead of Group 31s? Smaller and lighter weight? Oh, I bet golf cart batteries are sealed, which would definitely be better in the pilothouse.

And lastly, I have a crazy question regarding dealing with big loads (like the air conditioner we are discussing in the other thread). Could I not use the Yamaha EF2000iS generator to power nothing but the battery charger and use an inverter to power the air conditioner?

I know it sounds a bit crazy (and inefficient), but if the inverter were big enough, I could use the batteries to provide that big short term boost needed to start the air conditioner. This would allow me to use the lighter 2000 watt generator and still get the starting current required for that Carrier 13.5KBTU unit. Maybe even the 15KBTU unit.

Think that would work? Or am I totally nuts?

Work or not, I realize the answer to that last question is likely 'yes'. Smile
---
mike
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, the question is not as crazy as it sounds. I have a friend who is finishing a 57 foot power cat which runs only on DC power. As I recollect, he has a 200 amp 24 volt DC alternator, running off a small diesel. He has 24 volt battery system (somewhere in the 2000 amp range)--each 2 volt cell is about 300 lbs.-12 of them to make the 24 volt bank. He runs two 3 KW 240 volt AC inverters to power AC, water maker etc. It is a very complex system--and expensive.

But to use a Honda EU 2000i there will be too much loss to do this. You will have loss between the AC generator, and the battery charger, the battery charager and battery and battery and inverter etc.

There is a 2400 and 2800 watt Yahama genset which puts out a bit more power than the Honda EU2000i. It may be enough to start some of the 11,000 or 13,500 BTU AC units.

Although you can buy AGM golf carts--that is not the reason to use them. Golf carts generally are good deep cycle batteries, with heavy plates. Yes, a single golf cart is about 70 lbs, vs 130 lbs for a quality 8 D battery.--and two golf carts are close to the power of a 8D. The Group 31's I use are high quality AGM's (I use the AGM because they are inside of the pilot house.). But not specifically deep cycle. They are mounted on end outboard of the aft dinette seat. One of the beauties of AGM batteries is that they can be mounted any way but upside down, and in the cabin. The charger is in the inboard part of that seat and the inverter is in the upper part of the hanging locker.

The prosine Tru charge is only a charger, not a combination. I have a separate inverter.

I think that a 15,000 BTU RV AC unit would be more than necessary for the C Dory Tom Cat or 25. I had a 15,000 BTU unit which cooled a 30 x 8.5 foot RV very well.

But again--probably best to size the generator which will run an AC on its own, and you can run this all night on the 6 gallon remote tank. Again I have not used the Yamaha 2400 or 2800.
Mike...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
But again--probably best to size the generator which will run an AC on its own, and you can run this all night on the 6 gallon remote tank. Again I have not used the Yamaha 2400 or 2800.

Yes, that does seem the best course, all things considered. Unfortunately, there is a 35 lb difference between the 2000 and the 2400. Sad

EDIT: Actually this size of the genset would be less of an issue if I could permanently mount it somewhere on the TomCat. Any ideas?

The 2400 might just fit under the aft seat. Unfortunately, the TomCat is still out for service, so I can't measure it. If it did, I'd have to figure out the exhaust and venting issues, and of course where to put the starting batteries. So, maybe this is just too much of a project....
---
mike
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, recently (within the past 6 mos or so) there was a picture of a TC255 with a genset under the rear cockpit seat. I think it was an RV model and a pretty tight fit. Plenty big tho and required relocation of the batteries.

Anyone remember where it was? Not sure if it was a boat for sale or not. Just looked for it but haven't got the time for a thorough search.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Ashley Lynn

City/Region: Panhandle
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ashley Lynn
Photos: Ashley Lynn
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

The Tomcat you were thinking of is the "Lazy Susan".

Here is their photo album http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Lazy-Susan&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Boating, where its ok to play with your dinghy!
Mike...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley Lynn wrote:
The Tomcat you were thinking of is the "Lazy Susan".

And here is the generator. Look how small that thing is! And yet it is 165 lbs? Shouldn't I be concerned about adding that much weight to the stern?

It's water cooled, and I didn't want to put any holes int he hull. However, right near there is the seacock for the raw water wash-down.

But I would have to move the starting batteries in the house, which is no small task (and no small wire!).

hmm....
---
mike
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Bob/thataway, I'm going to update some of your battery weights.

I'll let you have 130 lbs for the 8D, since I've never lifted one, but I'm going to update your weight for the golph cart battery. I just pulled a pair out of the aft lazerette of Journey On and got an updated practical weight for those batteries. I'd say about 200 lbs. ea.

I know I put them in when I was younger, but using Judy, a couple of wooden levers, a retaining rope and straight muscle (the least of the latter,) to get them out, I can guarantee 200 lbs. within a couple of ounces.

We're going to use them for a summer trip in a trailer, but rest assured new ones will be going back in. No more levering those things around.

Boris
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tomcat has an option for a livewell, which goes under the aft seat. With that option, the batteries are relocated to the port and starboard lockers in the trsansom on shelves. It would be tight, but two battereis on each side are possible.

The 6 volt golf cart battereis have tremendous storage capacity in a reasonable small package. They don't work well as starting batteries, but for low amp, long term drain (house battery or inverter use) they are more comnpact with about the same power as an 8D.

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning thru hulls-

There are an awful lof of boats out there with inboard power, marine AC units, Gen sets, washdowns and multiple head installations that have multiple thru hulls for the water needs, and they stay afloat with zero problems. Adding another thru hull, if properly installed, is not that big a deal, and may solve some issues for you.

The factory was talking about a marine AC option, ducted through the boat, with the main unit installed in the forward part of one of the hulls under the Berth. I have had these units on boats I have owned, and like them very much.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris,
I told you not to get those L 16 Golf carts at 168 lbs each--and 440 amps! (actually they are used in large floor scrubbers).... You need to put in one of those davits to lift the batteries out...

As for the 3 KW Westerbeke--listen to one in a boat before you buy! They are much noiserier than the Honda. Now you have an inboard engine, and have to use all of the safety precautions that go with an inboard =--and risk of fire and explosion. Getting away from the beauty of the outboard powered simple boat.

Also for maintance you will have to cut out the front of the aft seat, to get to the oil filter, lift pump, heat exchanger etc. It all can be done--as shown in that Tom Cat--but I sure would not do it.

Perment mounting? The Glacier Bay's 2690 had a fiberglass box for the Honda EU2000i as a factory option. If you can find a used GB 2690 and measure the box, you might make one. It would go on the center of the engine bracket--but then you would have to get over it, if you left the boat over the stern. We often board the boat from the stern; in the water, from the dinghy etc.

Why not lift it out of a box in the cockpit-when you don't need it, you leave it at home. I use the Garhauer davit to lift the Honda out of a locked box in the cockpit--and put it on the crate on the engine bracket.
Even though I life in a very safe area, I still take that Honda out of the boat if I am going to be gone a length of time, and when not using the Honda, it is locked up. They are very easy to steal.

As far as a larger generator-I have not used one--but there is the option of two EU 2000i, which weigh less than the Eu3000i.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: