The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

TomCat Custom Trailer Update
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: TomCat Custom Trailer Update Reply with quote

To all that I have been taking part on the trailer issues, nothing but positive feedback came out of my trip to the C-Dory Factory Gathering and visit to the Seattle Boat Show. I talked with both Scott and Jeff of C-Dory and to Tim Egan of EZ-Loader at the show. Later this week the folks from both organizations are again getting together in the attempt to put together a truly custom trailer for the TomCat(s). Several of us have been in contact about the need for a truly custom trailer. For the good of all of us…the total sold of the TC24 combined with the new TC25 which have just started production, has driven much interest and several contracts already. The positive in this for all of us “Cat” owners will result in a truly custom trailer that allows for quality launching, retrieval, and hauling. EZ-Loader is “already on board” at Glacier Bay just down the road from C-Dory for their boats to the point that custom photo’s are on Glacier Bays web site with a direct link to the photos. It is sort of a “2 stage” trailer, with a “receiving end” to accept/align the boat during launch and retrieval, and the “holding platform” that the boat rest on once fully on the trailer to support the boat. I look for the meeting on Wednesday of this week between the two companies to evolve into a great working relationship, and quality products complimenting each other for the enjoyment and betterment of boating! A great group of people working together to improve a very good product. Regards.. Byrdman in Bama on FreeByrd
katkt

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Katie Kat
Photos: Katie Kat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Byrdman,
Thanks for the information.
I'll be interested in seeing the trailer you
speak of. Trying to load our tomcat with
any kind of a cross wind can prove to be
quite interesting to say the least. Disgust
The trailer we have is a magic tilt. I've added
5'up right guide on's, at the rear raised the hull
guides in the tunnel about 6" to were they just
clear, and still because of the angle of the launch
ramp it's possible to gouge the keel on the
trailer in front of the bunks. I've mounted some
recycled plastic 2x4 material on the trailer cross brace
to prevent further damage.
If the new design is a good one, I'd be interested in
purchasing one w/ disc brakes instead of fighting with
the one we have when it comes time to change
out the brakes.
Thanks for the report. Smile

Gordon
Byrdman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon: Sorry,, I guess for convenance, I could have just inserted the link.... http://www.glacierbaycats.com/home_2004.htm

It looks good on the site... but like you say...take it to the ramps and several other variables come into play. I have almost thought of a hydraulic lift with rollers that let the boat roll on/off, then, once forward, hit a button and let it settle straight down onto a "bed" for transport.

I think they are actually getting together today as a matter of fact.. Watch for post of updates from C-Dory.
katkt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't mean I needed to see it right now. Very Happy
Thanks for the follow up with the link.
Our routine at the ramp now is to only back the trailer
in far enough to get the boat centered on the bunks with
enough weight on the trailer to keep the boat in place,
my wife slowly backs down the ramp while I power the
boat up to the stops.
We tried getting the trailer far enough into the water to
power on, but it seemed that you either came in to hot,
or were 4' from the stops.
The tall guide poles at the back have helped the most.

Gordon
Byrdman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received an Email from Jeff this morning and he sent positive news that C-Dory and EZ-Loader will be working together on a TRULY CUSTOM trailer for the TomCats. Of course with the SBS still in full swing... no dates are firm, but at least we have a joint commitment from 2 great companies to help us put together a total quality package. I have offered my hull to Tim Egan of EZ-Loader as the genie pig, and have also sent him an email asking for estimated time lines. I also met him personally at the show and have worked with him in the past. This is the 4th EZ-Loader trailer I have owned. I'll keep all posted as the world turns.
wayne

City/Region: hilton head island
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Gno-C'm
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay this may sound bizzare but I have just inherited a boat, a nice boat, a tomcat 24. There is however no trailer. Wondering about where to find one.

Wayne
katkt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Inherited" as in, I just realized that dispite the bad stuff that is often associated with inheritance, that you know own one?
They put a Magic Tilt under mine when I purchased it. I'm not impressed.
The Tomcat requires some special trailer attention because it is a cat, and the trailer needs to have the bunks completely submerged or near so in order to load the boat properly.
I spoke with a local trailer builder and he said that cats are typicaly tough to load and can be hard on trailers.

DON"T SKIMP ON THE TRAILER.

Some things that you should look for:
Disc Brakes(kodiak?)
Bunk Slicks(plastic glides that cover the bunk and reduce friction when loading and unloading the boat)
Guide on post(helps center the boat on the trailer)trailer will(should) also have padded tunnel guides
Plenty of load capacity(TC's are going to be over 5000#s by the time you add up hull weight, motors, fuel, lots of stuff, fresh water, yucky water, etc.), if the trailer will carry 7500# you should be fine.
Spare tire.

The factory has been putting EZ Loaders under the Tomcats they sell locally I believe, that would probably be a good place to start. I'm sure that if you google them you'll be able to locate a dealer near you Thumbs Up

This site and the C-Dory owners site will have by far the largest amount of info regarding the TC. If you want to branch out a bit you could try here also.http://thehulltruth.com/category-view.asp you may be able to find more local info regarding trailer manu. in your area. Plus a lot more local info in general.

Good Luck!
Gordon
Byrdman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see another cat owner. I have hull #51 of the TC24. Basically, the "custom"...which it is not, trailer that came new with my boat is a EZ-Loader built for a large pontoon boat, and they have simply slide the bunks around a bit. The long and short is right now I would make a personal call to Jeff at C-Dory. He is very much in the loop of all past issues, and at the front with getting a TRULY CUSTOM trailer set up for the TomCats. The "newer.." soon to hit the water TC255 being a pocket cruiser and those of us who have the current TC24 ...most really tow our boats, ... So, hull #1 of the TC255 should be about finished, and that is what C-Dory and EZ-Loader and "made an agreement" to build a truly custom trailer. But, it is true that you basically float the boat straight up off the bunks, and on retreval, float it back down onto the bunks. It is not a drive up the bunks boat...and DO NOT TRY IT... you will get big scratches on the inside and outside on the front of the sponsons on boths side of the boat. Go ahead and get one of those "trailer-tounge" extensions... I think I am going to buy a 6' one to allow me to get the boat in the water and keep the back of my tow vehicle out of the water... waves and salt water do not do kind things to the back of an Excursion.

Tim Egan at EZ-Loader was the factory rep that I know of and is on top of the C-Dory/EZ-Loader set up. He and I have shared many emails...as I have with Jeff at C-Dory and other owners. Good news, if that they are going to build a custom trailer...for THESE Catamarans. They are differant, but each time on and off the trailer is easier....and take the anchor off the bow and throw it in the hatch when putting on and off the trailer. Makes a large noise when it hangs going either way.... but stays very good when resting on the bunk during ramp times.

Byrdman on FreeByrd
TC24, Hull #51
Montgomery, AL
Byrdman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne: Sorry for the goose hunt. Just got returned email message from Jeff @ C-Dory and he is out of the office for the rest of the month. But, I feel sure you could call the plant and they can put you in touch with who ever is working the trailer issue/set up with EZ-Loader.
wayne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: trailer query Reply with quote

My many thanks for the information on the tomcat trailer saga. Fortunately the boat is resting happily in the water at my dock, but at some point in the future other waters will call. Hopefully by then the "custom" trailer will have been designed and marketed and I intend to have one.

Many thanks,

wayne
Bob Cat

City/Region: Santa Monica
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Dive Cat
Photos: Dive Cat
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne and Byrdman,

Scott M advises me the EZ-Loader engineers will be at the coming out of TC255 Hull #1 to take measurements and make final adjustments. I will be up there at that moment for a viewing on 6/29 or 30. They had a slight delay due to materials but are moving forward.

I will take many pictures and post here if someone can give me guidance on posting procedures.

Best to all,
Scaley Waterman
Bob Cat

City/Region: Santa Monica
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Dive Cat
Photos: Dive Cat
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne,

To clarify, the new EZ-Loader trailer will be designed specifically for the TC255, which will have twin 30" engine brackets mounted on the transom. The 18" hull extension and 30" brackets together will make it 4' longer than your TC24, so whatever comes out of this event on 6/29 will probably not apply to the existing TC24 design.

I will take as many pictures as possible and gather as much info as I can to submit a complete report to all those interested right here.

Best regards,
Scaley
wayne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: depressed but not too deeply Reply with quote

I must have misunderstood the postings as it appeared the trailer would be for the tc-24. Oh well, I suppose I will have to simply do some therapy time this weekend on the waters I live near. Maybe something will develop further on the "custom" front, or I will simply get a trailer like the ones I see in the photo albums with tomcats sitting on top of them rolling on down the highway.

One of the other reasons I would like to get a trailer is because I am from the state of Tennessee, grew up on the river, and at some point I would like to revisit some of those old stomping grounds with the kids.

Wayne
TWO-DAWGS

City/Region: Kingston
C-Dory Year: 1997
Vessel Name: TWO-DAWGS
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello: I have a 1997 TomCat 24. I'm told it is not the first built, but is the first sold. I have an EZ Loader trailer that is just an elongated pontoon-type bunk trailer that came from C-Dory. I have made three modifications that have helped somewhat. I have added a longer tongue, moving the boat 4 more feet back. I have added the plastic bunk covers to allow the boat to slide easier (this doesn't do great things for the anti-fouling paint). And I have added a second winch on the winch stand and run a line to a good quality sailboat type pulley at the back of the trailer and back up to the front. This allows me to easily winch the boat off the trailer if the launch site is not deep enough to float it off. That part works great. The boat seems to rest on the trailer ok and the boat with trailer pulls easily enough. I have been reading the talk of a custom trailer hoping to pick up some additional modifcation tips. It sound now like it will not be of much help. I have successfully launched and recovered my boat at dozens of locations, but it could be easier that's for sure. Hope you get back to Tennessee. TWO-DAWGS.
wayne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: THANKS Reply with quote

Yes, I have now printed out your suggestions and I think I will take them to heart when I purchase the trailer. I especially like the tongue extension. Several years ago I had a trimaran sailboat and the trailer had an extension of 8 feet or so and it was a very nice addition. Thanks for your information.

Wayne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: