City/Region: Salt Spring Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Gaiasika
Photos: Gaiasika
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
I assume you talked to Dave a bit about the design. One thing he did mention to me about the saddle tanks was that the baffle design was key. With the long tanks and a fill or vent at one end it's fairly easy to get the other end of the tank above the vent on a steep slope. This can lead to spillage when climbing or parking on hills with full tanks. With yours sitting on the floor, it looks like the fill/vent is quite a bit above the tank so this shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, the vent is about 16" above the top of the tank, so I don't think I'll have any problem with spillage. Also, the Perko integrated vent spills back into the tank fill, so it would probably be alright anyway. The tanks had to be less than 12" tall to clear the underside of the splashwell. As it was, working space was really tight for making all the connections.
Zricky

City/Region: Costa Mesa
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Spunky
Photos: Spunky
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you ground your tanks?
marco422

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zricky wrote:
How did you ground your tanks?

I intend to ground them through the sending unit spade terminal to the negative battery terminal. I interpret the ABYC standards to specify a #8 conductor, but that seems extreme. I am just using a #16 wire.

Quote:
"Grounder liquid level gauge transmitters mounted on metallic fuel tanks or tank plates shall have the transmitter negative return conductor connected directly to the engine negative terminal or its bus. This conductor shall serve as the tank bonding or static ground conductor. Where this conductor is employed as the grounding conductor, it shall be not less than 8 AWG, and no other device shall be connected to the conductor."
marco422

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On further reading, I gather that #8 wire is specified for tank grounding to provide some lightning protection. But I think this would only be effective if it was led to a grounding plate in the keel exposed to seawater.
marco422

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my fuel gauge installed. Ordered a Teleflex fuel gauge which uses 2-1/8" hole (standard door size) and installed in upper left of instrument panel. Ran a #16 common ground from the sending units to the negative on the distribution panel. I will redo my electrical in the fall and install a negative ground bus under the splash well and hook up a beefier #8 wire from the senders.

Ran a positive from each sender to two sides of an SPDT switch which I installed in the dash switch panel by removing one of the circuit breakers and using the 1/2" hole. The switch allows one gauge to monitor both tanks. SPDT common terminal to the gauge, positive feed to gauge from the Honda wiring harness along with illumination circuit (Honda provides feeds for tilt meter and fuel gauge in their harness) and I'm done for now.

Everything checks out; just have to add fuel!

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1428&id=IMG_0008&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: