View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Rope/Chain Splice Reply with quote

Have my rope/chain spliced but do not known what type of thread i need to sew the rope strands together. I did a version of Sea Wolf's two strands down the chain and one strand back up the rope. **** Dumb Question....Could you use ...Spider fishing line....it is strong and water-proof or marine canvas thread.......Tug
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a different splice (tight eye splice) with one vs two strands thru the link of chain. To serve any splice I use waxed dacron thread. Sorry I don't have the exact number here, but it is a bit heavier than V 138. I have several bobbins I have accumulated thru the years, but the weight is about the same as used for the "Speedy Stitcher awl". Another good option is to serve a splice with self amalgamating tape. (Rigging tape). You can also find the self amalgamating tape in places like the electrical dept of Lowes.

When I use thread, I also sew thru the throat of the splice or the standing part of the line, when serving down by the tails of the splice. This gives a more secure finish to the serving.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site has various weights of thread for sailmaking.

http://search.sailrite.com/category/sail-repair-canvas-dacron-ripstop-repair-tapes-tear-aid

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
thataway

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Larry,
The Sewing Awl thread #150 is what I use.
Cheap, strong and UV resistant.
Bob
Tug

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Rode/Chain Splice Reply with quote

Took my boat out today to try the Windlass. Had a hard time (retrieving).passing the rode/chain splice thru the Windlass..had to retry it 3-4 times. Should i re-splice or is the clutch too tight. Also my self launching BRM-4 anchor roller doesn't live up to its name,had to coach it off the roller. I assume these are easy fixes but would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks Tug
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also tried the 2 strands up the chain and 1 spliced back onto the rope, had very poor results getting it to bite through the windlass. It looked great too. So after 2 years of battling with it (coming up, not down), I cut it off and went back to a conventional 3 strand splice back on the rope. It looks good also, and has worked perfectly on the two times I've used it so far.

So maybe your gypsy or windlass design has the same problem mine did with that particular splice.

As far as self-launching, I have a Delta anchor and I needed to add a roller at the end of the stem to keep it horizontal when in the stowed position. This allows it to self-launch. Maybe that's your problem also, don't know.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
thataway

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the tight eye splice method since 1980--with thousands of nights at anchor, up to 90 knots of wind and boats in excess of 65,000 lbs.. Never had a problem with splice failure or the windlass. You do need to taper the end of the splice (put 2 to 3 full strands, and then cut half of the strands after each additional tuck. Be sure and seal the cuts with a hot knife or at least a cig. lighter.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tug- The extra roller at the back of your anchor roller to tip the back up and move the center of gravity down a bit to initiate self-launch is a great solution that will probably work.

If the two forward/1 backward splice won't work, maybe the three backward/tapered will.

The problem is that every combination of anchor, anchor roller, and windlass is a unique combination of weight, center of gravity, roller geometry, and windlass gypsy and Fleming (pressure finger).

What works for one, may or may not work for another, and that can be frustrating (!) Some experimentation is always in order, as it a little hope for good luck!

We're rooting for ya'!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Tug

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today i cut the old splice off and tried the tight eye splice, i will let you know how it works on the water..but i tried retrieving the rode using the Windlass crank and there was still resistance.i will tackle the roller/anchor problem... tomorrow. Too hot and humid today..30 C plus.... to do much of anything. Tug
Tug

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today i cut the old splice off and tried the tight eye splice, i will let you know how it works on the water..but i tried retrieving the rode using the Windlass crank and there was still resistance.i will tackle the roller/anchor problem... tomorrow. Too hot and humid today..30 C plus.... to do much of anything. Tug
thataway

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing the taper on the tiight eye splice I find is important. If you have any questions about it, please ask.

There are two different ways of tapering. One is to take three strands to 3 tucks, then 2 strands to the 4th tuck and last strand to the 5th tuck.

I prefer, to take 2 or 3 tucks, then cut off half of each strand. Take another tuck and then cut off half of those, do that once more--and that is the end--seal each cut with the hot knife.

Also rolling the splice is very important. First roll it between you two hands. Then put it on the floor and roll hard with your foot to firm the splcie up, and assure a good taper, so it will work thru the chain/rope gypsy.
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to replace the rode.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfDyDYC5g1E
Will be splicing new rode to my existing chain.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is similar to the technique which I use--the tight eye splice/back splice. I keep my strands much tighter than he does (do not let them unravel. I mark the strands so that I don't have a possibility of passing back under itself the first time. He goes two one way and one the other--this is proper. I agree with the whipping. After 3 full tucks, I taper each strand by either 30% or 50% depending on how long I want the taper. Then each taper is cut by half--for 3 tucks. At the end I burn the remaining. I don't work with as long strands as he does (he has a bit more waste). I roll the splice under my foot--you can get much better compaction than under the palm. I sieze the splice similarly to what he does.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: chain only Reply with quote

I might switch back to 50ft-100ft of chain and 100ft of rope that way most of the time I would just use chain most anchoring is in less then 15 ft of water
How does one clean the chain putting it in a bucket of pb blaster or similar or buy new ? I have about 150 ft of older chain that was made for the windlass i have.what methods to clean it pressure clean ? solvent , ???
also the extra weight up front would be good

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: chain only Reply with quote

jennykatz wrote:
I might switch back to 50ft-100ft of chain and 100ft of rope that way most of the time I would just use chain most anchoring is in less then 15 ft of water
How does one clean the chain putting it in a bucket of pb blaster or similar or buy new ? I have about 150 ft of older chain that was made for the windlass i have.what methods to clean it pressure clean ? solvent , ???
also the extra weight up front would be good

Jim-

What needs to be cleaned about the chain? Dirt? Rust? Discoloration?

How you clean it may depend a lot of what's on it.

A good pressure washer usually blasts most stuff off, unless you have special needs requiring special cleaners.

If it's G4 High Test, or BBB, or even Proof Coil, all of which are designated for marine use, it should be galvanized with zinc (hot dipped)., and shouldn't rust.

You'll like the weight forward of having a lot of chain. It really helps with the ride in chop.

Chain never slips in the gypsy of the windlass like rope can and lays down nicely at anchor.

If you expect a real blow, let out enough rode to get some nylon rope out too in order to get some elasticity and shock absorbing capacity.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: