The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cruising the Trent/Severn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom&Marge

City/Region: Paducah
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: PELICAN
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Cruising the Trent/Severn Reply with quote

Good morning,
We are thinking of doing the Trent/Severn this summer or fall. Can anyone tell us if there will be a lot of idle speed travel? I am concerned that this will damage our almost new Yamaha engine.
Also, what about rules for the porta-potty and such things?
Thanks!
Tom & Marge
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Mucho Slow going... Reply with quote

Hi,

Sandy and I are also planning to spend a fair amount of time up there this summer. (We don't really have a specific route layed-out yet.) From what I read there is a lot of area where slow-cruising (but faster than idling) is appropriate.

For us, that equates to hull speed (6mph/2000rpm), slow, b ut the fuel mileage will be pretty good!

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed limit in the canal portions of the waterway is a whopping 10kmh, or 6.2mph! At these speeds it may be most economical to run a small kicker outboard rather than the main engine(s).

Start here at Trenton and go "upstream" from there to the Kirkfield lift lock, after which you have to go "downstream" to Port Severn on Georgian Bay. Or start from Port Severn.

Total distance is 240 miles. Lots of locks!

There are lots of well documented pages you may want to save or at least save the links.

-- Chuck
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom and Marge -
We also may be up that way this summer. Looking to be at the April 2-3 Nashville Gathering at Old Hickory. Will you be there? From there, maybe stay on the water all the way up to the Trent/Severn. Wanna come along?
Yes, there are slow speeds, but in that beautiful country who wants to go fast. There are places, on the lakes, where you can open up that new engine of yours.
Hope you will be on Old Hickory and looking forward to another visit with you good folks. Missed you on the Arkansas. El and Bill on Halcyon

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom and Marge: Great to see ya'll and the Pelican are still kicking..!! Enjoyed my time with ya'll, Bill & El on Lake Martin a couple years back. My how time goes bye. I have a TomCat now. Got that look from Sherryl last night Angry Embarrased Angry ..about me starting some of the travels while she still has to work a while until her retirement (AUG07).. I am telling her this is all good training for me and the TomCat so I will have things correct when we start our travels together.. Not sure what Yamaha you bought Tom, but if it is a 4 stroke,,, you can idle along all day with no harm... I have idled along for at least 6 hours, but did feel comfortable "blowing the carbs out" for a quick run at the end of the day prior to shut down. Hope you can join us in Nashville... 8 boats signed up already. Launch day looks to be 2Apr05 for the most of us. Yep, I could make this cruise too...if I could slip out for a spell, but I have to watch out for Auburn Football schedule... Just a couple of years left on those fine "employee" tickets with Sherryl working there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: