The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

pre 2000 lazerette lid protection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: pre 2000 lazerette lid protection Reply with quote

About in 2000 the factory decided to change the lazerette arrangement, viz., the lids, which was molded to completely cover the opening of the storage area, were changed.

It made access more difficult and the chintzy lids leaked badly. Now a cottage industry is supplying post 1999 CD 22' owners with a lid that works, of course at additonal cost.

My first CD 22', a 1996 model, of had the old style lid covers. I found through experience that the lids tops became scratched over time as I set gear on them whether at the dock or on the trailer, regardless how careful I was and others weren't as they dragged stuff across the lids.

So I decided to make a cover for the lids and quit worrying about scratches and marring. Now I am setting ugly things like batteries on the lid temporarily and not worrying about scratches. If it happens, a little bit of spar varnish fixes it.

Go to my boat pictures to see what I did. I chose to use Okume 3/16 plywood for the material. It has some grain and can be stained to a teak color which matches the teak hand holds on my boat. Stain of course before any sealant is used. I have found brushing on dark walnut first followed by cloth removal of excess stain immediately followed by brushing on red oak stain and rubbed with an old cloth to an even finish works well. It approximates a teak finish.

If you attempt this project, measure both the port and starboard covers
individually because the holes cut to latch the lids are not in the same position. Also, the very top of the factory lids differ. In otherwords, the molds for the lids are not mirror images of one another.

I used spar varnish on both sides - a couple of coats - followed by velcro
attachment. The protective lids will not blow off when trailering. Nor slide when something is placed on them. John

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John- I'll post the photos here (if you don't mind), to make it easier for folks to view them:

Okume 3/16 ply stained teak covers to protect lids.

Plywood covers attached by Velcro.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe - Thanks for posting those pictures. Jody Kidd walked me through
getting them into an abum last night. John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: