The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

RADAR: Section 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: RADAR: Section 2 Reply with quote

Part II

SAFE SPEED AND SKIPPER'S DUTIES

So you bought a C-Dory, eh? Wise choice, dear C-Brat, because, in addition to all of its other great attributes, you have an unusually effective small boat radar platform. Rule 6 states that vessels should proceed at a safe speed, a speed that allows a vessel to take action in time to prevent a collision. A safe speed, as defined in the rules, gives considerable latitude to vessels depending on personnel, equipment, and maneuvering capability, so that a vessel could be making 30+ knots in low visibility and be at a safe speed. It applies equally to our C-Dory, while operating in limited visibility, where a safe speed is dictated by our personal skills in the use of our radar, the maneuverability of our C-Dory, etc. Our C-Dory's ability to be on a very steady, easy plane at 10 knots, and still have excellent steering response, is far superior to the deep-V hulls I've used in the past - where a speed of 19 or 20 knots is required to get up on plane to have a stable platform.

In low visibility, while on radar, the duties of the skipper are multiplied many times. You must now watch the radar for other vessels while evaluating each for risk-of-collision potential, make appropriate fog signals (rule 35), steer a steady heading so that other vessels know your intentions, watch for debris and other vessels which may appear out of the rain or fog (rule 5), and navigate. Now, because you are at a slow speed and could easily be overtaken by faster vessels, your visual lookout scan must be 360 degrees instead of just watching ahead. Most of the small radars we have are used in a "heading" mode with the lubber-line of your radar aligned with your vessel's centerline, so when your heading moves the picture on the radar shifts, making it virtually impossible to evaluate the various radar contacts, therefore a steady helm is a must.

Jon, of C-Lou fame, brought up an excellent point during our discussion on PART I.

Jon says to train and use all of your boating companions, and I agree. Your co-pilot, or companion, should know how to use every piece of equipment on board - and most importantly, to steer a steady course by compass or GPS-generated heading. It is NOT easy and requires practice. Because I boat alone most of the time I use an autopilot - but having a long-haired autopilot along would be a lot more fun. Hate to say this, but I've trained many couples in small boat handling, and the ladies in almost all cases, can steer a better compass course than the guys. Bet Cynthia can. You are very much safer out there if there is another qualified skipper aboard. Stuff happens.

Hey, guys and gals, this is pleasure boating at its best, and I'm not trying to frighten anyone away - the more knowledge you have the safer you are - and the more fun you will have. In low visibility, radar is a great safety device if you know how to use it. I'm accused by an email of showing "worst-case" situations and I plead guilty. Boating near any major seaport, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Vancouver BC, for example, requires totally different skills than in a remote fishing area with few boats around. Where I boat, every trip I make crosses major shipping lanes loaded with heavy traffic - plus dozens of commercial vessels - headed in all directions - in addition to all the little guys. Many of the little guys run around in the fog, wandering in zigzag patterns or circles, with no possible way of determining their intended actions. Having radar aboard lets me avoid them all - and makes my trip a pleasure. Without radar I wouldn't go.

The Radar installation questions I'll pass on to Les, who knows the answers. I don't!

This little pub pre-school isn't meant to take the place of study. When I refer to a rule I recommend that you read it. You should have a copy of the rules available for reference as we fumble along -- they are tough to study on your own, and after this radar stuff gets put away we can do a pre-school on the rules if you want it. We really haven't gotten into the real meat of the radar thing yet, but I'm dragging my feet because I'd like to get y'all comfortable and relaxed before I zap you with it. Next session I'll probably get into risk-of-collision determination and the pitfalls involved. It is a VERY important part of radar safety and we'll probably do quite a bit of discussion.

I can again log on to our site (couldn't for the past few days) so I can respond quickly to questions. Hesitate to call this short note PART II, but want to keep the school rolling along and this is all I have time for now.

Dusty

Dusty,

Your discussions on radar usage, cautions and experience are soooooo timely for me you just can't believe it. I've never owned a radar before, but have been on a boat with another skipper who had very little idea how to run the thing, let alone how to interpret it. THAT was a dangerous combination. Out here in the SW, we don't get 1/4 mi visibility very often, but when it does happen, I generally just turn around at the shipping lanes or wait it out--can really spoil a well-planned, rare weekend outing with the family. So now I have one for my CD25--still in the box (3 wks). Having trouble motivating myself to put it on the top of the install list due to unfamiliarity--and to be honest, a little apprehensive--like diving into a PC for the first time in your life.

I've read every single word you've written and everybody else's for that matter. I want to learn it right. Thanks so very much for providing this information, it is invaluable. And please....keep those comments coming!

Steve
CD25, Dora~Jean

Steve,

Thanks, and congratulations on you 25 ft. jewel. Les will have the EQ 25 up here very soon and I can really drool. The cat should do okay, and I look forward to getting her in the water, but I definitely fell in love with the 25 when I first saw it at the factory. You boat in an ideal area for learning to use radar -- visibility is usually good, and the radar screen is not covered with a couple of dozen targets. In shipping lanes with less traffic it is often easy to avoid any possible risk of collision - best way to go. In fact, that's the way I boat here, using the radar to just avoid unpleasant situations.

Install your radar, Steve. The sooner you get it on, the sooner you can become familiar with its operation. I recommend long hours of radar operation in good visibility before you consider boating in low visibility, and you should have lots of time to read the book thoroughly, and play with all the buttons.

Dusty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: