The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

CD's design category?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yankeefan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: CD's design category? Reply with quote

How are CDs categorized according to the EU's RCD or Recreational Craft Directive?

In checking the C–Brat membership roster, I couldn't find any European members, so maybe this isn't a relevant regulatory question. Nonetheless, I'm curious from a technical standpoint.

Cheers,
David aka Mr.YankeeFan Smile
yankeefan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly 2 weeks & no responses? This can't be the question that stumps the C–Brats forum — can it? Embarassed Sad

Surely not,
Sandy Smile
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with category C--Inshore.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'd vote for the category W-hocares?? Question

It's like trying to measure furlongs per fortnight.....

Sorry to sound flippant but I am... especially this late...

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
popeye

City/Region: Bluto's Wharf
Vessel Name: The Olive
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa Mateys Question

Manners, manners! Wat' happened ta' "no rules, just be nice!"

What's da' matter boys, can't ya' be standin' no challenge from a lady?

No need ta' go bullyin' no fair maiden, like Bluto wif' me sweet Olive Exclamation

Maybe nex' time yous' can be refrainin', from showin' your Moon 's in public.

Sorry Maam, I's may be new heer...'an jez' a mere swabby ats that...buts' I epologizes fer meself 'an me crewmates. Too many Beer Beer Beer at da' Pub, me guesses Exclamation

Toot, Toot Sad

Jon - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Popeye, I think you should cut back on the spinach Laughing
popeye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon - CLou wrote:
Hey Popeye, I think you should cut back on the spinach Laughing

You trying getting into character & composing this stuff w/o a green leafy substance Exclamation Wink
KenMcC

State or Province: NM
C-Dory Year: 1999
Photos: Vivien C
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogon dory and Captains Choice hit the nail on the head.

Those of you who are planning on taking your C-Dorys across the Pond to cruise the waters of Europe might want to concern yourselves with the standards of the European Union.

The rest of us pretty much don't care.

Ken
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3400 miles or so from coast to coast (NY to LND), 4.5 MPG,...... 770 gallons of fuel or so. Wind, currents, lack of auto pilot; better have another 100 on standby. I'll need an additional 154 five gallon plastic fuel tanks. (I did win the larger 25 gal. fuel tanks, they will help on the trip) Sounds good to me, can we get a sign up?
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

popeye wrote:

Sorry Maam, I's may be new heer...'an jez' a mere swabby ats that...buts' I epologizes fer meself 'an me crewmates. Too many Beer Beer Beer at da' Pub, me guesses Exclamation

Too many beers? Ahh...that explains the the transformation from David/Mr. Yankeefan to Popeye. Nobody could type that stuff up sober...

Either that, or some damn hippy done swapped out your spinach for some other green goodie from his garden...

Hey Brock! You been messin' with David's stash?

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

popeye

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:

Hey Brock! You been messin' with David's stash?

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Hey Dude, you mean that giant sucking sound is me inhaling? I thought it was NAFDA! Smile

Toke,Toke Teeth

P.S.– In all seriousness, I think it's a valid question since it's a measure of seaworthiness. Frankly, I have no idea, but I'd be a bit disappointed, considering their well earned reputation for seaworthy construction, if C–Dories couldn't qualify for a "B." Since Private Messages are private, I won't reveal who. But, there is at least 1 C–Brat who told me they bought a C–Dory instead of Motorcat, at least partially, in the belief that the C–Dory was more seaworthy (& I should probably stress that this wasn't the only comparative advantage they gave to the C–Dory). Since the Motorcat is built in Poland, it is subject to the RCD & it is rated as a Category B. Do I have to buy a round just for wondering about the answer to a trivia question? If so, I'm guilty. So put 'em on me tab, Mateys Beer Beer Beer
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luna C wrote:
3400 miles or so from coast to coast (NY to LND), 4.5 MPG,...... 770 gallons of fuel or so. Wind, currents, lack of auto pilot; better have another 100 on standby. I'll need an additional 154 five gallon plastic fuel tanks. (I did win the larger 25 gal. fuel tanks, they will help on the trip) Sounds good to me, can we get a sign up?

Luna C, you got it all wrong... it's really not so bad. First we trailer to Blanc-Sablon in Quebec and take the ferry across to St. Barbe in New Foundland. From there we trailer down to St, John’s on the east coast of NewFoundland.

From St. John's we launch and motor to Nanortilik Greenland - 920 statute miles. I figure about 330 gals of gas will give us plenty in reserve.
From there the rest is EASY!
We cruise from Nanortilik Greenland to Tasiilak Greenland ONLY 470 statute miles - we can get by comfortably with only 200 gals.

From Tasiilak Greenland we make a quick run over to Reykajvik Iceland - only 450 statute miles, again 200 gals is plenty.

Then its only about 130 miles to Vik, Iceland. NO PROBLEM!
From there you go to Hofn, Iceland on a roughly 150 mile leg.
From Hofn, Iceland, its only about 537 miles to Scapa in the Orkney Islands. - OK, OK - so we need maybe 250 gals for this leg to be comfortable but after we work out how to load up for the leg to Greenland, this should be simple.

From there life is VERY simple with three150 mile hops to Aberdeen, Edinburgh and then Middlesbrough.

From Middlesbrough, its only a few hops (about 400 miles total) to London (up the Thames) at which point we’ll need to register the boat and DEFINITELY need to know the Recreational Craft Design Category….

So as you can see, the only tough part is that first leg of roughly 920 miles, the rest is all down hill. With your two 25 gal tanks, you really only need about 56
5 gal tanks. We can probably get about 10 on the bow, 20 in the cockpit and maybe 26 on the roof. With the roof rack that Capt. D has made for the Hunky Dory, the tanks up top shouldn't be a problem. We could extend the transom rack of Red Fox for a few tanks back there. I'm not so sure about the tanks in the cockpit - we may have to tow them in a dinghy behind. Overall though, the trip's doable....
Who’s up for this cruise? Should I ask for a sign up sheet?
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Roger on the SeaDNA!

PS - we may be able to shorten down the first leg if we leave out of the Hudson Bay but my maps of Northern Canada and Greenland are not so good. We could start some questions on the Chips thread to see if anyone has those regions... Razz

popeye

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might I be suggestin' a diesel convereshain prior ta' ye' voyage, Mateys? Fer' safety don'cha yous know? An' 'Cordin' ta' this heer' article Traylerebotin' Ta' Paris, Fraannce has done been did. Alldough 'dat 30' Cutter is mite larger 'dan 'de average C-Dory. Idea Hmmmm, how about 'dat C-Dory Cutter I be eyeballin' in 'da pics round heer?

LOL, havin' no C–Dory 'o me own yit', I be volunteeerin' as Vice Assoc. Dep. Assist. Provisional Jr. Swabby Trainee Understudy, 3rd Grade & offerin' ta' buy all da' fuel iffin' any 'o yous' Mateys is up fer it!

Toot, Toot Laughing
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I've come down a bit from having been "mooned" by a cartoon character, apparently we're going to beat this RCD issue to death.

To hasten that just a little bit, have done some research (despite my "who cares" comment). This is mired fully in British Bureaucracy (no slight intended) which may or may not be eclipsed by our own governments bureaucracy.

The document that must be filled out to gain "certification" is found here

http://www.dti.gov.uk/strd/rcd_doc.pdf

which includes references to "harmonised standards" ( I love the way the Brits talk Laughing ) and ISO standards, etc. If any of you have ever dealt with ISO standards, any of them, not just the 9000 or 14000 series, your eyes should start to glaze over just about now. Disgust . Can you imagine the C-Dory factory trying to gain ISO compliance? Their boats are just as good or better without that added burden (IMHO). If they did it, our boats wouldn't cost $30K any more (for a 22), they'd be more on the order of $50K, again IMHO. And wouldn't be any better.....ISO is a documentation process, it just documents what you do and whether you follow you own instructions.

Anyway, an overview of the whole thing can be found at

http://www.ceproof.com/recreational_craft_directive_RCD.htm

Anyway, my point is (and was) that the C-Dory will never gain this compliance, no reason they should. We can conjecture all we want as to which category they fit into, I love the boat, as do most of us or we wouldn't have one. Whether it's an A, B or C or D or whatever in RCD compliance terminology, it's an A+ as far as this sailor is concerned.
Thumbs Up
Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: