The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Anchor Locker Drain Tube
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Anchor Locker Drain Tube Reply with quote

I'm going to drill and install a drain tube...installed a hawsp pipe today.. ....what size hole and clam shell will i need...Do i put the drill ...left side/bottom of the locker and about a 1/2 inch off the bottom...than drill at about a 45 degree angle straight thru the hull and hope for the best....Thanks Tug
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: drill from as low as possible Reply with quote

Quote:
"Do i put the drill ...left side/bottom of the locker and about a 1/2 inch off the bottom...than drill at about a 45 degree angle straight thru the hull...."
Question Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

That sounds like what wasw done for my anchor locker drain, but I'll be switched if I can figure why "1/2 inch off the bottom". Makes for a bit of a wet, soggy, and maybe stinky fix. I am trying to figure out how to fill the bottom of my locker up to where that hole is so that ANY water in there will drain out NOW.

If I were starting from scratch I would drill from as low as possible, then place a tube through the hole and seal it off around both ends to insure that the water ONLY goes out THROUGH the tubing.

WM had 2 sizes of clam shell caps. I had to replace mine. It took the larger size.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Tug

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey...was looking at WM and they seem to have lots of clam shell sizes ...do you remember what the dimensions were.....and what size hole did you drill thru the hull for the drain tube..Thanks Tug
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: launch where there is enough water to float Reply with quote

Tug,

Sorry, our WM only had 2, and I got the larger one, which apparently from their catalog is the middle size, Perko, Chromed Brass, WM#199820 and Perko #0315DP2CHR It is 2" across the opening from hole to hole, and I think, but don't remember for sure 2" from each hole to the other (think equilateral triangle).

I don't think it is too scientific an issue as to which one you use. The one I used fit the holes from the previous clam shell that was deformed at some point in a launching incident Embarassed (I am learning to only launch where there is enough water to float my boat Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
captainrick

City/Region: East China
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Bucket List
Photos: Bucket List
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Anchor Locker Drain Plug Reply with quote

Mornin',

I am in the middle of installing drain tube (3M should be dry by noon). My drain was leaking into the area under the bow cabin flooring and weeping up through the plug below the Porta-Potty. I used a BIC pen body for a drain tube. If you decide to do the same...size the drill accordingly. Good Luck, Rick
Tug

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick..good luck with your installation....if you could post any pictures of the drain tube project i am sure lots of people ..including myself would be interested in seeing them. I can not find any pictures ...of the drain hole location in the locker itself and pictures of the drain hole tube ..( location/position on the bow )..so i can get an idea where the holes are suppose to be......Thanks Tug
Tug

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the Perko..# 0315DP2CHR from West Marine...that should work. Has anyone ever thought of useing one of those ....splash-well plastic drain tubes, the ones with the two tubes that slide inside each other and lock when you squeeze them together...they are flared at both ends. I not sure how thick the hull is at the bow but these tubes are about 2 1/2 long and have a one inch diameter or is that too big for an locker drain tube. Tug
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The diameter is too big and the length too long, to use the stern drain tubes.

I probaly would build up the floor of the anchor locker, to prevent the problem with water going into the area under the bunk. I would use mat and roving or cor mat, to get the thickness--this is one place where polyester resin is as good; maybe better than epoxy.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this would work or what to use actually, but I have thought about using something that could be poured in and would self level, and then lowering the bow and tilting the boat starboard side down. This would make that side high when everything is back on the level, and the water would drain out the port side (low side of the locker) as it should.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, I like your idea. I'm ruminating over the same issue for my '22. I would think you could just use epoxy resin, 2 or 3 layers consecutively.

Is there a reason why you want the drain on the port side? Just wondering because it seems to me that either side would work equally well.

Also, you could drill the drain hole (oversize) prior to applying your last layer of epoxy, cover the drain with tape on the outside of the hull, and just let the epoxy fill the drain hole too. Then after everything was cured drill out the drain hole and you'd have a nice epoxy seal all the way through.

jd
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hull is not cored where the drain goes. Thus the epoxy seal is not necessary. Although epoxy can be poured, you don't want to make it too thick--it heats up too much, and there is a loss of strength. I much perfer to use a cloth material with epoxy. You can slope it any way you want. With Polyester, then matt cloth and roving as necessary.
mpmccoy

City/Region: La Habra Heights
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Sea Queen
Photos: Sea Queen
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: picture of tube Reply with quote

Go to this album for a pict (021) of the tube I installed. There's not much prospective. I should have dropped a penny in the picture.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=anchor-locker-drain&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

As I remember I did this in a Pensacola ship yard without many resources. The hole was already there and I think I used the tube off of a Great Stuff can. It fit just right. I coated the thing with 3m 5200 and cut it to length after installation. It sits about 1/2 inch off the bottom of the locker. I think it drains fine because the attitude of the boat causes gravity to pull the water down to the lowest part of the locker...or maybe its because I'm going 20kts and the difference in air pressure pushes the water out (sorry I'm I'm a physics nerd). Anyway it cured the problematic leak.

Mike[/url]

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike- Here's your photo for all to see a little easier:

And this photo makes you the Honorary Captain of the C-Dory Leak & Damage Control Squadron!

Joe. Laughing Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
mpmccoy

City/Region: La Habra Heights
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Sea Queen
Photos: Sea Queen
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: caption: The *&#$ leak is in here somewhere! Reply with quote

Cool!
How did you get those picts so big. Every time I try to place my picts in a post using Img they're the size of a postage stamp.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mpm, bring the photo up full size, not in the album but full size. Click on properties and paste that into the IMG thingy. Then it will be full sized.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: