The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Ancor Double Crimp Tool 702017

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardAK

City/Region: Fairbanks
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Spirit
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Ancor Double Crimp Tool 702017 Reply with quote

After reading all the good comments from others recently I purchased an Ancor Double Crimp Ratchet Tool. Looks like a quality product. The instructions with the tool are somewhat lacking in detail as exactly how to make a proper crimp. Some time ago one of the members posted a link to a site which gave lots of good photos and info on wiring, proper crimping of terminals and splices and other good info on marine wiring. I've searched thru old posts but was unable to locate the link. Would greatly appreciate any help in finding this site. Thanks in advance.
Richard in Fairbanks

AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, I think this might be the one: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/wire_termination

I used one of those Ancors to wire my Bartender. Good tool. A quality heat gun was also useful for activating the adhesive on the heat-shrink connectors.

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some items from this site and looked at this crimper
http://www.sailorssolutions.com/index.asp?page=ProductDetails&Item=WP042
Anyone compared it to the Ancor?

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used the one at sailor solutions--but it is only a single crimp--I use a double crimp Ancor--I do have another Chinese double crimp--and it is in my "traveling box"--so far it seems as good, It has hardened dies, and is adjustable. Probably not quite the overall quality however. The double crimp makes the second crimp on the vinly covering, which acts as a strain relief. If you use adhesive heat shrink, then the double crimp may not be necessary. I only use the adhesive heat shrink where there will be the possiblity of moisture--the interior, I just use regular fittings, and often put heat shrink over them.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I begruded the expense of the Ancor unit until I had done about 20 crimps, and then it seemed like a very wise expenditure. Makes killer connections. As thataway says, it is a double crimper, and very worthwhile. I would really hate to have to trace an electrical fault through the four or five crimps leading to the battery plus terminal or the grounding system distribution panel ... the bucks spent on good crimps are money well spent.
RichardAK

City/Region: Fairbanks
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Spirit
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Ancor Double Crimp Tool 702017 Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Astoria Dave. That's the one. Also thanks to all for the good info.
Sandra06

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEX fittings are usually designed with materials of brass, although some dealers prefer to use copper, bronze or artificially designed plastic fittings for PEX plumbing. The ridges on the internal view of an installation to another. The hills, the copper ring set with PEX pipes themselves - all work to create a mutually sealing high pressure.

crimping tool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: