The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Dory Competitors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yankeefan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: C-Dory Competitors Reply with quote

Hi all,

Me of the many questions again.

As we consider buying a C–Dory 16' Cruiser or Angler, I'm wondering what other boats all you C–Brats considered, rejected & why on the way to becoming CD owners?

As I suspect many of you were, we are looking for an economical, trailerable long–range cruiser/weekender w/outboard power. The C–Dory looks like the one for us. But, before we make the plunge, I'd be interested in knowing how you decided the C–Dory was "it" as well as finding–out if there are any alternatives we may have overlooked.

Thanks,
Sandy CoolSmile
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Other boats Reply with quote

Alot of people who chose CD,s also looked at Arimas, I own one now (16 foot explorer) and can testify that they are great boats. Very seaworthy, and roomy. I would like to move up to the CD 22 for it's comfort, things like a heater/stove and hard tops are really nice. They are a great boat for a couple or family. I must admit in the shorter length boats I like the arimas a little better, just seem a little bigger. But they do not come in hard tops under 19 feet. They also are similar in that they are a modified v hull that gets flatter towards the stern. They also can pound a little in a chop, so you have to back off the throttle. In shorter lenghths CD's and Arimas were the only one's that appealed to me through research. Good luck.

Sark
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arimas, acb's, stabicraft are theother boats that i looked at but did not get. to tell the truth i would really love the stabicraft super cab. its a c-dory on crack. it will do everything a c-dort will just 30 mph faster. and for only 30,000 more. but there smaller boats are pretty good.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's lots of good boats out there, we wanted something we could use for fishing on a wide variety of waters, easy to tow, cheap to maintain, AND you could overnight on. When you get to looking at boats, you'd about have to get a 24 or 26 foot boat to get the same amount of cabin space as is in a 22' C-D, they're the biggest little boat on the water.....I looked and studied for some time and really found no competetor.

actually, the only reason I bought one was so I could join the pub

Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy --

What ya look at depends on where ya live. You in Seattle or the Bronx? You'll be unlikely to even see a C-Dory or Arima outside of the Northwest, I know I never have in Cleveland.

I wanted classsic styling and the trawler lines of the 22 Cruiser first attracted me. I wanted a trailerable boat. Honda outboard power is a major plus.

Amelia Anne is a 16 Cruiser and our first powerboat after generations of sail. Remains a low time use boat (we're under 50 hours in two short seasons), but gets used 10x the amount of time our last sailboat was (another Northwest boat, a San Juan 2Cool.

The only boats I'm currently "looking at" are the Armia 19HT and the C-Dory 19. From the specs I think the 19HT has the edge and should be able to run at faster speeds in Lake Erie. But with my sophomore daughter looking at private liveral arts colleges in 2-1/2 years the 16 Cruiser will get a lot more hours on her clock!

Dory hull is not a speedboat but great for pokeing into shallow inlets and up creeks as we like to do. We swim off her. We tube behind her. As long as the water is pretty flat she can run pretty fast all day long on little fuel.

-- Chuck
yankeefan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chuck,

We're right outside Ft. Lauderdale. Despite the fact that we live right here in the yachting capitol of the world there aren't many C–Dories or alternatives to be had locally.

There are probably 100,000 boats in Broward County alone. Yet, the vast majority of the powerboats here are center console sportfishers, gas guzzling inboard or i/o cruisers or megayachts. None of these fit our budget or lifestyle. That's why we've been scouring the world for something like the CD.

David has been the one doing most of the research. (NOTE: He tried registering here but when his confirmation email never arrived we tried again a few hours later w/my address & it popped–up immediately. That's how I became the designated C–Brats poster in the family.) He is dying for a Motorcat 30 which I have to admit is a fabulous, roomy cruiser & quite economical w/its twin 50 hp outboards. We 1st saw 1 @ the Miami show in 2003. However @ $125K+ fully equipped, I have to see if we really like cruising enough before I'll agree to make that kind of financial commitment.

David found to 2 other power cats w/50 hp outboards that he likes even better. I can ask him to post links if you guys are interested. Both are bigger than the MC30, both are built overseas & neither is in the C–Dory price range — but they sure look like nice, economical cruisers. He's a big cat fan, but not overly impressed w/CD's Tom Cat from what we've found on the Internet. Nevertheless, he wants me to add that, for the money, he hasn't another low hp cruising (as opposed to offshore fishing) cat to beat it, yet.

Chuck, fortunately for us, Matt's college expenses are now behind us — he's a patent attorney in D.C. Over Christmas, David asked him jokingly, "When are we going to get some Grandchildren, so I can convince your Mother we need a bigger boat?" Wink

Thanks everyone — this thread is turning–out to be quite interesting. Please keep your thoughts & alternatives coming!

Regards,
Sandy CoolSmile
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: C-Dory Competitors Reply with quote

OK, I can't answer this based on experience, when we bought, we never looked at anything else. One day while out in our then new 16 foot Smokercraft aluminum boat, Patty and I saw a C-Dory 22 Cruiser in a beautiful cove on Patos Island (San Juans), and that was it, I was hooked - the idyllic setting, the classic look, the cozy cabin, the cool factor of the twin 40s, I could see it was EXACTLY what I wanted, and from that second on, I never even considered buying anything else. Lucky for me, Patty agreed!

But it really does depend on what you want a boat for. Water skiing / posing / zooming around lakes with babes in bikinis? Probably not looking at C-Dorys for this! Read on, if you passed this first test! Fishing / shrimping / crabbing? Day cruising only or will you sleep onboard? Overnight or extended cruising? How many people? Is cockpit space or cabin space more valuable for what you do? Are creature comforts like galley, dinette and heater important or not? Where do you live? Do you use the boat all year long or do you put it up for the winter? Does it have to be trailerable? Are you willing to spend hundreds of thousands or do you need to keep it in the tens of thousands? Answering these questions will considerably narrow the field.

We are a family (now) of three plus dog. We live and boat close to Puget Sound and the San Juans. We crab and shrimp, and I want to fish a bit. We day cruise, overnight cruise, and have done a couple of 4 day cruises. We are looking forward to 1 - 2 week cruises (Desolation Sound, here we come!) We need to be able to cook and wash dishes onboard. We boat all year round, like to be dry, warm and comfortable, and have a little space to kick back, have a sundowner, and read a book or watch a movie on the laptop. Budget (payment on the aluminum boat) dictated the maximum amount we could spend.

Our answers to my questions above would have led us to a C-Dory 22 Cruiser anyway...could some other boat fit the bill? Of course, minus the cool factor. But sometimes you just know, its love at first sight. After two years, we KNOW we made the right choice for us! This is a quality boat, and best of all, you get a quality community - C-Brat folks here are simply the best!

yankeefan wrote:
As we consider buying a C–Dory 16' Cruiser or Angler, I'm wondering what other boats all you C–Brats considered, rejected & why on the way to becoming CD owners?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only C-Dory even close would be the yet un-shipped 25 foot Cat with the trawler cabin.

The Motor Cat 30 looks incredible on their website. 25 knots on a pair of Honda 50s. About what we get with a single 50 on our 16 Cruiser!

I've bookmarked their website for 2011 Rolling Eyes Wink

-- Chuck
yankeefan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck,

If you like the Motorcat 30, here some other cruising cats to drool over. All cost considerably more than any C–Dory & none are trailerable — but they are comfortable, roomy cruisers w/LOW operating costs. Plus, being cats, they won't roll in heavy seas or on the hook like a conventional trawler.

Swimm Cat built in France. Having spent our 1st year in FL living next door to a French yacht broker, Sandy & I can tell you that, while the French may not know how to fight wars, they do know how to make great wine & seaworthy boats!

Thai version of the Schionning Design Prowler 9000 the builders of these boats are in Phuket, so we can only pray that they survived the tsunami.

Aussie version of the Schionning Design Prowler 9000

Schionning Design website the licensor for the 2 Prowler Cats shown above, included for the benefit of my fellow boat design aficionados.

PDQ 34 Powercat This is the updated model of what was formally called the 34 Passagemaker w/new interior. It's not an outboard, but, IMHO it's the best & clearly most popular cruiser to come out of Ontario in at least a generation.

All these boats prove what you can do w/a little horsepower & an efficient hull design.

What they don't offer are wonderful tightknit owners communities like C–Brats & C–DOG. True, there are a few in the formative stages — at least for MC30 & PDQ 34 owners. Nonetheless, I started searching over 3 years ago & found C–Dory's site on the 1st day. Since then, I've found some fancier boats, but none to compare on price. Plus, it's great folks sharing tips, supporting each other & taking great adventures — like El & Bill on Halcyon Days — that have kept bringing us back time & again to lurk on & finally join C–Dory forums.

Sandy, & especially I, would dear love to own an MC30 or any of the other boats I've listed above. Right now we are boatless. However, I can't help but wonder, if we buy a C–Dory 1st — which it looks like we will — if we won't stick either w/the brand forever or someday look back & wish we had. So there, for what it's worth, the musings of a wannabe C–Dorian! Wink

Cheers,
David aka Mr. YankeeFan Smile

P.S.– Like many of you, I'm looking forward to learning more about the new CD 25' Cat.
shogimac

City/Region: Klawock
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SISU
Photos: Tonie O
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: C Dory competitors Reply with quote

Of course I'm biased, however, three boats that I thought were in the ballpark are:

Seasports - These boats even look like ours. Popular in the northwest and still trailerable.

Farallons - More of a deep V, but spartan fishing machines with full cabins.

Davis - Radon Hull designs that are great downhill boats. Very popular here in Santa Cruz with the recreational fishing crowd. Custom bulit in Pasa Robles, these have all the amenities if you want them.

I really like the economics of our boats. A solid package of performance, relaiblity, and resale. We've taken ours up the Inside Passage to Southeast AK three years (http://members.aol.com/tonieogi/). I pull mine with a six cylinder T-100.

Shawn
of the Tonie O
yankeefan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

David & I are enjoying looking at & in many cases revisiting the CD alternatives you have suggested so far. Not surprisingly, many are primarily fishing boats which also make fine cruisers. Since our personal interest is strictly in cruising, I thought you might be interested in a few more of the outboard–powered trailerables which David's on & off research over the past few years has turned–up:

Landau 20 Cruiser a relatively new, award winning British–built coastal cruiser w/an innovative hull design. Now being imported to the U.S. in very limited #s.

Rosborough RF–246 a true trailerable trawler built in Nova Scotia w/a solid reputation & loyal following.

Nimble Nomad a very seaworthy & well reviewed mini–tug style trawler. The last we'd checked, The Nimble Boat Co. was unfortunately no longer in business here in FL due to the fairly recent, sudden death of the founder/owner who had designed & produced a wide variety of highly–regarded small power & sailboats over a long career.

Enjoy,
Sandy CoolSmile
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David and Sandy - I have certainly enjoyed looking at the boats on the web sites you have listed - that Nimble Nomad looks intriguing! You initially mentioned interest in the C-Dory 16, and then all the boats you are looking at elsewhere are considerably larger. I especially wonder if the C-Dory 16, whether Cruiser or Angler, could provide you the amenities you would really want for cruising. If the power cats are unattainable, it sure seems like the boat you are looking for is the C-Dory 22 Cruiser. Now, whether that is dual 40s/50s or a single 90, that is a WHOLE 'nother discussion!

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yankeefan wrote:
Hi all,

David & I are enjoying looking at & in many cases revisiting the CD alternatives you have suggested so far. Not surprisingly, many are primarily fishing boats which also make fine cruisers. Since our personal interest is strictly in cruising, I thought you might be interested in a few more of the outboard–powered trailerables which David's on & off research over the past few years has turned–up:
<clipped - 3 boats followed>

My interests are primarily in a fishing boat that makes a good cruiser - so the other boats we looked at were:Sea Sports, Arima, Bayliner Trophy and Osprey.
Our constraints were - I wanted a boat <5000lbs wet on the trailer so I didn't have to get another tow vehicle (we two with an Isuzu Trooper)
<$60k overall (including electronics etc).
Limited maintenance needed - I work 60+ hrs/week - I don't want to spend any hours treating teak (even though I love the way wood in a boat looks)
Enclose cabin with heat and usability as a family cruiser.
Reasonably sized cockpit for fishing.

The Bayline Trophy was easily eliminated based on re-sale value and quality of construction.
All boats 22' were essentially eliminate due to towing weights. Most 24' boats come in at 7000#+ on the trailer. Even the SeaSport 22' is 4500# dry without the trailer. The Osprey 22 is a bit spartan for any family cruising and I like the C-dory look better than the Arima.

I took a look at the boats you linked to in your most recent post. The nicest looking one (in my opinion) is the Nimble (which isn't being made anymore). However, all the boats had a lot of wood which I see as a lot of work.

Roger on the SeaDNA

yankeefan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat–

Good points! Perhaps, I should have given everyone the background which led to our search for a trailerable cruiser & here to C–Brats in the 1st place.

We live outside Ft. Lauderdale, but David's family has owned the end of Colchester Point on the Vermont side of Lake Champlain for over 200 years. Our favorite Summer was spent in a cottage right under the "p" in "copyright" — one of the 3 his family has up there.

Recently, we've also fallen in love w/Tennessee & the Kentucky Lake region of the TN River. Currently, we're looking for another seasonal place up there. David 1st suggested it because it's part of the Great Loop. I'll get to that part in a moment. However, he knew I would probably like it. See, my Dad was a banker specializing in trade financing. So, ever since he used to take me down to the Manhattan docks is a little girl, I've been fascinated by commercial shipping. Years ago David & I took a driving trip through OH & WV along the Ohio River in his Miata. We loved the barge traffic as much as that little sports car. 15 years later, that trip remains 1 of our fondest memories & most romantic times together.

Therefore, strange as it may seem, I actually find the TN River barge traffic exciting & even a bit romantic. I was instantly hooked not only by the rough beauty & power of the TN river, but by the wonderful friends we made so easily on our 1st trip up there.

Back in 2001, this FL–VT (& maybe now TN, too) connection led to David's goal of someday cruising The Great Loop, which in turn launched his search for a suitably seaworthy cruiser which we could also trailer back & forth. If it were up to David alone, we'd immediately go for a CD 22 Cruiser or even a 25. However, being the less adventuresome of the 2 of us, I've convinced him that we should 1st try–out cruising in something smaller & less expensive.

In our younger years, David had 2 hobbies in which I was only an anxious wife & spectator — motorcycling & offshore powerboat racing. Having recently turned 50, David seems to have finally outgrown his need to speed & now looks forward to enjoying the water @ a somewhat slower pace. We both share a love of the water, but I have to admit that his desire to be out on it as much as possible is far stronger than mine. If it were up to David, we'd full–time liveaboards. Last week, we looked @ a floating home in Key Largo. You can guess whose idea it was. But, I have to admit I liked it much more than I expected. It had a 3rd story roof–top deck & I could get used to that 360° 6 mile mostly water view pretty easily.

Therefore, when he proposed that we take–up inland & coastal cruising as something adventuresome to do together on weekends & perhaps for extended periods in the Summer, I had some strong opinions. Here's how we worked it out.

Over the years, regardless of which 1 of us found it 1st, I've always picked every house we've ever lived–in & David has decorated it. I know this sounds backwards from the way most couples do it. But, it works for us. We've always been happy & felt uniquely @ home. Maybe, it's because we do most things together, yet with each collaboration 1 of us tends to naturally take the lead. So, in approaching our cruiser purchase, David has taken the lead, but left the final choice to me.

So, now you know why much of what we've looked at is bigger than the CD 16' we are currently eyeing — I've been scaling–back David's ambitions. Also, in David's research, the CD 16' stands–out as unique. Sure, it's pretty basic & sparse — but it's hard to find anything else in its size & price range that matches it's utility & seaworthiness.

There is 1 last reason for the 16' CD. About 3 years ago I suffered what's called a Mild TBI (traumatic brain injury). For the better part of 2 years I suffered memory & depth perception problems. While I am mostly recovered, my driving is still somewhat restricted. Therefore, I am leary of having a boat that requires too big a tow vehicle. Since we operate a home based business & no longer have any other need for more than 1 vehicle, it seems silly to go back to 2, just to have a dedicated tow vehicle. So, David & I have agreed that, at least for now, we'll limit ourselves to a boat that can be safely pulled behind a Ford Escape w/its 3,500 lbs towing limit.

Happy cruising,
Sandy CoolSmile
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if I didn't have Patty scaling back my ambitions, we probably would have a 34' American Tug (and no house)!

I am sure there are more than a few happy C-Dory 16 owners here who would agree with your assessment. For your purposes, it sounds like a 16 Cruiser would be an excellent choice. Options to seriously consider would be a Wallas cooktop/heater (is that even an option on the 16 Cruiser?) and a camperback - these two items can considerably enhance your comfort level. It would be a shame to be turned off by cruising because you went too Spartan...

yankeefan wrote:

So, now you know why much of what we've looked at is bigger than the CD 16' we are currently eyeing — I've been scaling–back David's ambitions. Also, in David's research, the CD 16' stands–out as unique. Sure, it's pretty basic & sparse — but it's hard to find anything else in its size & price range that matches it's utility & seaworthiness.

Happy cruising,
Sandy CoolSmile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: