The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Marine Tex Epoxy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Marine Tex Epoxy Reply with quote

This has probably been asked before ..but..how solid does Marine Tex get when cured. I tested one of the small screw holes that i filled with Marine Tex epoxy about 3-4 days ago with a small drill bit and it is about as hard as a piece of chalk. ..NOT GOOD..Not rock hard as advertised...i do not think temperature is the problem because i filled another hole with West System epoxy and it cured fine.Should i leave the other screw holes that i filled with Marine Tex to hopefully cure farther or dig them out and fill with West System epoxy. Thanks Tug
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite solid in my experience, every time over many years - never had that problem. Sure you got the mixing proportions right?
Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tug-

Marine-Tex cures as hard as any epoxy resin that's filled with glass fibers, as hard as your hull, and actually harder than your gel coat.

The only commonly available filler that's as strong and/or stronger and harder is JB Weld, in my experience.

If it's soft, you probably mixed it outside of the recommended proportions.

Marine-Tex filler is mixed on a 5 to 1 ratio with the hardener, not 1:1 like many other fillers, so it's a little harder to estimate and get right in small quantities for small jobs.

Mixed 1:1, it's very soft, as all the hardener, which is a second, but lesser, part of the finished epoxy resin is not used in the setting up/or polymerization.

Specific information here on mixing: MARINE-TEX

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Joe (of course)---you either had the area too cold, or improper mix. I do it by eye, but have been using marine tex for longer than I can remember. Never had it "soft". However, it will discolor with the UV light over time. Also difficult to put gel coat over it. I tend to use epoxy mixed with fillers for screw holes, in that I think I get a slightly better bond.

I would drill out the marine Tex and remix, fill a second time.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Tug

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Marine Tex i mixed 5:1 ratio...i think the problem was partly my fault..when it said cures hard as a rock i expected to have trouble drilling in it..the hole was only 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch deep...1/4 to 3/8 inch diameter. The Marine Tex was hard but there was a void ( air bubble in it ) and i used too big a drill bit. The Marine Tex more or less shattered if thats the correct term. Had me worried that i messed things up again..lol. I drilled another hole filled with Marine Tex..( for those small wooden strips that secure the gas tanks from sliding forward on my boat ) using a smaller diameter drill bit and it was something like drilling through King Starboard with spirals of plastic coming out. ...***Is that still too soft or is that hard enough ***....Hard but not hard as a rock...All the other screw holes i filled with Marine Tex are all smooth and hard to the touch and seem good. Does anyone know how thick the floor is on the older Classics..i bedded 4 screws about 1/2 inch into the floor to secure those wooden strips of wood....Thanks Tug....and Happy Easter
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tug wrote:
The Marine Tex i mixed 5:1 ratio...i think the problem was partly my fault..when it said cures hard as a rock i expected to have trouble drilling in it..the hole was only 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch deep...1/4 to 3/8 inch diameter. The Marine Tex was hard but there was a void ( air bubble in it ) and i used too big a drill bit. The Marine Tex more or less shattered if thats the correct term. Had me worried that i messed things up again..lol. I drilled another hole filled with Marine Tex..( for those small wooden strips that secure the gas tanks from sliding forward on my boat ) using a smaller diameter drill bit and it was something like drilling through King Starboard with spirals of plastic coming out. ...***Is that still too soft or is that hard enough ***....Hard but not hard as a rock...All the other screw holes i filled with Marine Tex are all smooth and hard to the touch and seem good. Does anyone know how thick the floor is on the older Classics..i bedded 4 screws about 1/2 inch into the floor to secure those wooden strips of wood....Thanks Tug....and Happy Easter

That's just right, with the spirals cut by a sharp drill bit!

About 1-1/2 to 2", or so. There's a sheet of approx 1" marine plywood encapsulated there with fiberglass cloth and roving on both sides of it and gel coat on the outside layer of the hull.

Quite a sandwich, and still no pickles or pastrami, huh? Laughing

Hope all's well!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Tug

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..Thanks for that bit of information...figured it was somewhere in that ball-park..i will sleep better tonite knowing that.lol Tug
Tug

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do i need to epoxy this repair....buy a Preval Spray Gun..some epoxy ( tinted white ) and do it myself...or have a shop do it. I was going to place a piece of King Starboard over the repair to attach my new transducer. Do you need alot of experience in spraying gelcoat to do a good job.Thanks Tug
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning!!! DO NOT SPRAY EPOXY!!!

Spraying epoxy is a serious health hazard. The small particles of catalyzed epoxy go everywhere and if inhaled will cure in your lungs and cause serious health problems. They also will settle and cure on all nearby surfaces including your body. If that surface is your skin or eyes, you can get a serious reaction. Epoxy is not paint, and will not cure while the particles are airborne, but only with time.

Be sure to read all instructions and follow them. The most dangerous component is the hardener.

A good finish can be achieved by adding pigment to liquid epoxy and brushing the epoxy on the part. Liquid epoxy is somewhat self leveling. However, the epoxy will still degrade in sunlight.

The best way to finish a part may be to coat the part with liquid epoxy and after curing and sanding, paint to match the hull or deck color.

For more info check out www.westsystem.com or www.systemthree.com

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: