The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

charts ? droid vs computer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: charts ? droid vs computer Reply with quote

I have a droid with nuticharts they seem to work as small backup . I used to use a netbook with MTW charts they used to work fine but computer crashed now reloading seems impossible also a new computer window 7 would not let me view the charts they are downloaded but just cant get them to view?? BTW I can get the read me files to open I follow instructions to no avail .

I was reading set up and I need some sort of navagation program ? If buying a new chart sevice what do c-brats recomend for a plug and play( easy ) program that one does not need a computer engineer course to install .

Brent and Marc has said just put into dvd and download to hardrive which I have done still no cigar ?? I appreciate all the help but I just don't get it ? I thought it was the new computer had that fixed and it plays movies and downloads other programs so i know the computer works .

please tell me if im the only one not getting this are there other brats out there having trouble with computer programs

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, the MTW chart DVDs are the way to go on a computer - I even put Win7 on my Mac just so I could run Coastal Explorer! And that is the key - the charts are not self-displaying. I assume you can get the charts on the DVDs copied to your computer, I copied them to a folder called Charts in the Documents library. Then you need some kind of a program to open the charts to view them, and better yet, plan routes. The MTW DVDs have a folder with some trial versions of commercial programs and one free program. Look at the folders on the DVD, you should see it, and install one or more of the programs, run it, install or open the charts, and you should be in business. Most or all of them can also recognize an external USB GPS puck (should come with driver to install, or you can usually download from the internet), and then you can see where your boat is on the chart and a whole lot more.

Having said that, though, I really believe that an iPad or Android tablet (iPads start at about $500, and I hear there are going to be some great Android tablets coming out starting around $250) running Navionics US & Canada (i use the $15 iPhone version of Navionics on my iPad, and it works GREAT) is the way to. The charts are exactly the same ones that they sell for hundreds for my Raymarine C80. An iPad in a RAM mount is so much more convenient that trying to juggle a computer on a small boat like a C-Dory or Venture. The Navionics charts are actually better than the NOAA / USACE charts on the MTW DVDs (which are a great value for the price, for sure).

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat- I just put the Navionics app on my IPhone. We have an iPod in the mail. Are you saying the $15 iPhone app works good on the iPad, instead of the $50 app?

Sorry we missed the tap room get-to-gether. Sounds like it was a good time.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennharriet wrote:
Pat- I just put the Navionics app on my IPhone. We have an iPod in the mail. Are you saying the $15 iPhone app works good on the iPad, instead of the $50 app?

There are some differences in the iPhone and iPad apps, but the iPhone app WILL run on the iPad (not quite full screen, and a slight difference in chart resolution, but absolutely very functional), but the iPad version will NOT run on the iPhone.

No doubt that demand is driving the price from Navionics.

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: mtw charts Reply with quote

Thanks Guys for all the help I guess I didnt realize I had to have another program to open it up I installed coastal explorer trial version now to download again to uncompressed folder into documents and then hopefully it will work . Nick from valkerie is coming tomorrow to check out boat slips for part of his great loop expedition we will play with it tomorrow stay tuned thanks again Jim

Pat I wish I could have been out in Seattle maybe next year hope everything is going good for all the c-brats at the gathering .
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: charts ? droid vs computer Reply with quote

Jim,
We use a laptop along with Coastal Explorer, The laptop sits on our dinette table turned toward me. My wife keeps a local paper chart out just for backup.. Coastal Explorer is simple to use, charts and chart are updated for free which is included in the $400 price. We just use Coastal Explorer on the laptop to run our routes (waypoints) along with our Garmin 4208 on a three way split screen radar,sonar and a chart . The software allows you to either plan a trip or cruise with it using it for navigation and is simple to use. The support is very good with a phone number and people the are from this country. Coastal Explorer has Active Captain included along with a simple blog, ship log that can be public or private. You can load on pictures on your blog and as many as you want. Routes or trips are saved like regular windows documents. We use a USB plug in GPS puck velcroed to the dash which puts you boat on the screen. We just started using the blog feature for our upcoming Florida trip. People can view your blog in my case by going to www.coastalexplorer.net/users/willc We have an Ipad with a nav program but I think Coastal Explorer is the bomb. They now are offering AIS intagration, radar, engine data and a fishfinders all which can be intergrated with Coastal Explorer software. For us it has been a good platform. It allows us a nice affordable big screen GPS that runs completely separate from the rest of our electronics. For me the full keypad of the laptop and to be able to point clip drag via mouse is
what I'm used to using. Plus I already had the laptop. You can run the Coastal Explorer software on up to three of your own computers.
D.D.
D.D.

c-ness

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-weetness
Photos: C-weetness
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has their own preference but I'm in agreement with Pat that an IPad or a Droid with Navionics is a great way to go. We have the set by the helm with a ram mount. I hardly ever use our raymarine screen for anything other than radar. We did buy the IPad version of Navionics and it is totally nice.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Navionics apps on the iphone and Garmin Homeport on the netbook
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Jim said - the $15 iPhone version (US & Canada, $10 for just US) will run on the iPad, and because Navionic charts are vector charts, which are basically infinitely scalable, they render pretty darn well. The $50 iPad version designed for the iPad of course is higher resolution all around.

kennharriet wrote:

c-ness

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-weetness
Photos: C-weetness
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when the day is over you can play a movie on your iPad. Not to mention all of the other great apps that are available.
Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
C-Dory Year: 2004
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the point the last poster made: the nice thing about an iPad is you can run other relevant apps. Not just music but topo map apps (for the scenery) , various nav and compass apps and the like. See Topo Maps, Starwalk, and Spyglass as examples - 3 apps I use in addition to navionics on my raymarine c80.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco,
What is the best topo map app in your opinion? Also what "maps" are available in SpyGlass? (Looks like a great app for hiking etc) In the topo map apps there are not really outstanding reviews.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
C-Dory Year: 2004
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The app is "Topo Maps for iPad". Its excellent and worth the $. Spyglass is a compass, rangefinder, sextant, GPS etc -all heads up displayed using the iPads camera.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your experienced advice. We are looking forward to some virtual planning on the iPad untill the weather permits a real trip again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: