The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

25ft Cruiser Scupper Design / Pictures Explaination

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
letitride

City/Region: San Jose
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: No Limits
Photos: Letitride
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: 25ft Cruiser Scupper Design / Pictures Explaination Reply with quote

25ft Cruiser Scupper Design / Pictures Explaination

Can some one please explain:
1. How the Cockpit scupper connects from the Cockpit to the outside of the Hull design on a 25ft Cruiser - is there a tube from cockpit to the Hull and how to you get access to this system?

2. Any photos showing the innternals of this system would be greatly appriecated?

3. How well do the scuppers drain the cockpit and is there any leakage into the bilge from access panels to the gas tank?
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 kinds of C-25 scupper arraignments: up to 2004 and 2005 and after. Journey On belongs in the latter class. 2004 just had a hole in the side of the boat.

The C-25 cockpit scuppers are simple: there's the inlet from the cockpit and then there's the outlet on the side of the boat. And a tube connecting them. Port and starboard. No, they don't drain well, because the drop is only an inch or two. And when you have more than 2 people in the cockpit water flows into the cockpit.

Don't put checkvalves in (the factory did at my request,) because they reduce what little flow you normally get. When we're underway, I put tapered wooden plugs into the cockpit side to stop the backflow, since I took the checkvalves out.

And don't forget, even if you have water in the cockpit those bilge access hatches leak, so it'll drain into the bilge. Don't know if it goes forward to the tank area, but when I pull Journey On out, I make sure the plug is out and no more water drains out. I know not from where it comes, but if I've washed the boat, there's more water than if I haven't.

Now that I explained, how about a queestion? Why do you want to know? Looking at a 25?

Boris
letitride

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the explaination:

1. On the post 2005 models does the 2 scupper in the cockpit run into one or seperate thru hulls ?

2. I offen dive and would like the scupper to drain the water over board effeciecntly if possible is there a way to modify the system to work better?

Answer your questions Yes I am interested in moving up to a 25ft cruiser because the kids are getting larger and room is very tight with 4 on board for a week.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We never seemed to have much problem with back flow from the scuppers in our 25, but the drainage was straight out the transom, and that maybe a difference from Journey On; our boat being 2 years older.

The Tom Cat is the best of the dive boats, and has even a bit more room than the C Dory 25--plus it is faster and a better ride. Charlie's is available for about the same price as a comparable C Dory 25.

The dive ladder set up on the Tom Cat 255 is especially nice; with an Armstrong "T" ladder, and good grab rails, plus a place to drain dive gear on the outboard bracket.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
letitride

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the suggestion.

I need to site at Anchor in some rough confused seas on both the 25ft Cruiser and Tomcat so see what one wins....

I dive and anchor over night in locations that are not exactly calm - Most of the time it's blowing 15-30 knots and seas running 2-3+ft we tuck in close to the shore and try to get out of the main swell and wind, however we still get hammered and the anchor alarm usually rings all night long since the boat is spinning all around........the 22ft C-Dory is very quiet compared to my friends other boats some of them slap very loud on the chimes all night long.

I'm guessing the 25ft Cruiser is similar if not a little better at Anchor because the beam is 8'6" rather than the smaller 7'8" beam on the 22ft Cruiser and the Tomcat would be noisy and worse?
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tomcat scuppers are similar in design to what's been described above - e.g. floor drains routed to scuppers. The standard scuppers on the TomCat are on the sides though (as opposed to the transom) since the bracket is mounted on the transom and there's not really room to put the scuppers on the transom. I've been thinking about changing out the scuppers on my TomCat to the TH Marine "Flo-Max" Ball scuppers and/or to have the scuppers enlarged. I don't really like the flap designs. I think they do a lousy job at both functions (letting water out and preventing back flow). I don't really get rapid drainage when I wash down the cockpit and it doesn't take much in the way of pine needles etc. to clog the scuppers. Also, the flaps get old and lose their flexibility.

As for noise at anchor - I recently spent a night at anchor in the TomCat with 25-30MPH winds and many gusts higher. Waves were small as there was a short fetch but it was pretty noisy. I think noisier than in my 22 since there was a good bit of wave slap up against the tunnels under the boat.

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours is a late 25 with scuppers out the corners of the cockpit through tubes and out each side of the boat. Those hoses are under the battery trays on our boat in the rear bilge area under the transom section of the boat. When I took out our holding tank (for good) and installed a middle vertical access hatch, it allowed me to see and access those hoses with a bit of body twisting. We do get some water backflowing if a couple of heavy adults both stand in the corner with a full tank of gas so we keep some plugs in the inside inlets most of the time now. Ours do drain off the water pretty well but there is that leakage down through the floor hatches into the bilge. I think it's really just a inconvenience and airing it out is easy enough for us after a good washdown. I know if at least one 25 owner who made larger holes and just installed larger ports on both ends for a quicker draining action and I don't think that would be too tough a project.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Changes&id=IMG_0271&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Changes&id=0812111237a&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the stock scuppers replaced with larger ones. I saw someone posted their scuppers were below the water line. Mine are not.
This and more pictures are in the C-Pearl sub album called "scupper stuff"
Hope this was a help.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the excellent information and Photo Jeff.

After checking the pictures and reading all the comments, I have one additional question at Anchor if the wind blows you abeam into some medium size chop or swell will water enter the scupper and fill up the cockpit area with out plugs in ?
Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say no. We often stop and watch wildlife and that is ususally out in open water with some chop and the relatively quick side to side rolls keep the water from making its way inward effectively. If you really loaded up one side you may get a small amount coming in but it would not be alarming and only amount to some water sloshing around in the corner. We noticed it most at the dock before we put plugs in. With the factory valves, it takes a small amount of time (10-15 seconds) with an overloaded corner to get the seepage in the cockpit. We usually saw it after seating a few too many folding chair loads on one side of the boat.
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My scuppers have a back flow preventer. If yours do not then gravity wins. If your cockpit drain is below the water line you will have water coming in unless you plug the drain. I personally don't think the drains will evacuate the water fast enough to save you if the deck gets pooped. They will let rain water and wash water out which could be a bad problem in a substantial storm.
Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours also have a backflow preventer but it is sloppy enough that plugs on the inside are still nice to have in place. We have a huge canvas enclosure in place all the time and some mats/rugs back there we like to keep dry for walking/sitting on.

I agree that the scuppers are too small for the big task of quickly draining off a big wave. Although the flotation in the rear of the boat is such that it would be a challenge to make that happen even on purpose unless you ventured into a big surf zone near shore. The transom height is low enough that the cockpit could fill up to a height of only about 15 inches before it would pour back out over the motor well. I always figured if it did happen, I would at least try to open a round or rectagular hatch back there to let the water dump down into the bilge to lower the weight and allow our double pumps to get the water back out. Leaving just the center round hatch off in really horrible stern dumping conditions might actually make our double pump boat last longer. I would have to test to be sure (and I won't) but I guess it depends on how well it would float with over a foot of water in the cockpit to start with plus how many cockpit filling waves you need to take at what interval. Just stay out of those conditions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: