The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Great Boats, Great Site...Just A Few Questions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jelly

City/Region: Kentucky
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Great Boats, Great Site...Just A Few Questions. Reply with quote

Hello all!

It's been great to discover the C-Dory boats and find and online community of people that loves these things.

A few questions to start:

1. What makes the "Dory" hull design supposedly so seaworthy? Low bow, low freeboard, and no deadrise makes me think otherwise (?).

2. In your mind, do you feel the C-Dory is capable of making the Gulf crossing from Carrabelle to Clearwater on "normal" seas?

I will be boating mostly on the inland lakes and rivers in Kentucky, but would like to make the trip down the various rivers and across the Gulf to Clearwater one day...

I'm looking specifically at the 16' and 19' models.

Thanks,

Jelly.
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have regularly fished 55 miles off the Oregon coast into the Pacific Ocean. I have endured 14' seas when caught out in them.
I love my boat and have confidence in it, I will say that as a rule I do not go out if the swell and wind wave predictions add to over 10 feet.
I am sure my boat will take more weather than I want to.

There was a good thread, There I was, that had some great stories about boats caught in bad weather. Jon on the C-Lou had a great story in that thread. Maybe he will chine in here.

As far as freeboard, for a boat this size I am impressed with the amount of freeboard. I feel very safe and stable fishing out of my boat. If not I would never have taken my 11 year old son out for his first Tuna last year.

With any boat there are trade offs. These boats are not speed demons but they are very stable and a safe platform for fishing.

I am not familiar with the area you are considering but I think it is in the gulf. My concern would be the shallow water there and the rapidly changing conditions. If you pick your days and weather you might be able to make the trip without issue, but only experience will allow you to make this decision.
I am constantly studying weather patterns during the season and have a very good feel for how those conditions affect the area I fish. Get to know your weather patterns and how it affects the water you intend to fish. Odds are you will be able to safely enjoy the area you want sometime during the season. Just remember that you should NEVER take on a trip like that if you do not have time to wait out the weather. A decision to take on weather that you wouldn't otherwise brave due to schedule can and has been a fatal error. Do not let this happen to you.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
yankeefan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Jelly,

We are also considering a 16' Cruiser. We live in So. FL, but may be buying a Summer place on the Kentucky Lake section of the TN River. We love it up there.

My husband, David, has been researching outboard cruisers for 3 years. While we don't have hands–on experience w/C-Dorys, we are only interested in boats that can handle any & all of The Great Loop route. David's research makes us confident even the smallest C-Dory can, provided the water & weather are given due respect & the boat is properly outfitted & handled w/care.

If you like company, depending upon the timing, we'd consider joining you on the cruise you describe, whatever boat we buy. Sounds like a great adventure. Also, I believe there may be members here, who have already taken part or all of this trip.

Rather than crossing the Gulf, if you prefer a more sheltered route, you can also take the ICW right around to Clearwater from Mobile.

Happy New Year,
Sandy CoolSmile
Salty Dog

City/Region: Traverse City
State or Province: MI
Photos: Salty Dog
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jelly,
I have a 22' Cruiser and live in the Columbus, OH area. I make periodic trips to the Ohio River and Lake Cumberland. Not sure where you're at in Kentucky, but I'd be willing to take you out on a ride if you want sometime this spring on the 22' Cruiser so you can get a feel for what a C-Dory is all about. Just let me know if you're interested.
jelly

City/Region: Kentucky
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fisherman wrote:
As far as freeboard, for a boat this size I am impressed with the amount of freeboard.

With any boat there are trade offs. These boats are not speed demons but they are very stable and a safe platform for fishing.

yankeefan wrote:
we are only interested in boats that can handle any & all of The Great Loop route. David's research makes us confident even the smallest C-Dory can, provided the water & weather are given due respect & the boat is properly outfitted & handled w/care.

If you like company, depending upon the timing, we'd consider joining you on the cruise you describe, whatever boat we buy. Sounds like a great adventure.

Rather than crossing the Gulf, if you prefer a more sheltered route, you can also take the ICW right around to Clearwater from Mobile.

Thank you both for the warm replies... CoolSmile

I believe I'm like a lot of people out there when I say I've spent a lot of hours out on the waters (inland lakes and rivers doing my own boating, having recently been able to experience the open ocean!), but really don't understand boats that well and what truly makes one design over another more "seaworthy".

To this untrained eye, the C-Dory 16' (the one I'm primarily interested in) looks to have the rough-water ability of a bay boat as they sit so close to the water. Even the larger models, when compared with "conventionally styled boats", such as the Trophy's (http://www.trophyfishing.com), look like they wouldn't be able to handle anything at all. Then again, in all actuality, the C-Dory's can supposedly handle rough waters with aplomb...I'd just like to understand why!

Mr. Fisherman - Why are these small craft so stable? Being able to blast across the water isn't an issue to me, and the C-Dory's are plenty fast enough.

Yankeefan - I would love to take a trip with you guys...it's just that I don't know when I'll ever get the chance to do it in the immediate future...Crying or Very sad I'll have to stick to the waters up here around Kentucky in the mean time.

So David (husband?) believes even the smallest C-Dory can handle some rough waters? Would you mind telling him to get his butt on here and explain why this is? Laughing

Of course...a great deal of planning, a good deal of luck, having a smart captain, and continually checking up on weather for a Gulf crossing will go a long ways towards insuring a safe journey.

You can actually hug the Panhandle going down? Why don't others do this?
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jelly, re: the sea-keeping of C-Dory hulls - I have ordered, but do not yet have my new C-Dory. However, I have had many years of boating experience. The basic design of a classic Dory (river, or ocean fishing) has been 1) Wide, rapidly flaring sides over a 2) flat bottom. River styles often have double pointed ends, and commercial fisher fleet, longer , narrower with a slightly blunted aft end.

With those styles, the heavier you load it, the more stable it becomes - up to a critical point. Apparently, the widely flaring sides tend to upright the boat as it tips. The 22 foot C-Dory appears to have the tightly turned up nose of the river dories which keeps the bow high on the waves. The wider flat aft sections lift the stern and the flared sides engage on tipping full length. There many ppl on these sites more knowlegeable than I, but that is a layman's perspective. Obviously, The C-Dory designs began from this, but have been modified alot over the years. I think El and Bill said they have logged over 17,000 miles without having been pooped on the aft end, or suffered any other significantly dangerous sea-keeping liabiliity on their 22. The trade-off is limiting speed so as not to pound. the C-Dory design is unique in that it can switch from semi-displacement, to planing just by varying speed.

Re: the Gulf Coast. I spent years cruising (a long time ago) from Mobile to Appalacha cola. Many of the sea legs are about 80 miles from bay to bay, and I was in a sailboat back then. So, you can choose, at each bay, whether to go Intracoastal waterway, or seaward. The waterway, itself, can be quite dicey when a huge tug and tow pass you on those narrow runs.

well, good luck, Johh

Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we had the only C-Dory in Ohio!

You're welcome to visit Amelia Anne, but she's in storage for at least 90 more days to keep out of the snow and ice. I bought the boat sight unsceen, I'd never seen a C-Dory for real up until about 15 minutes before I wrote the check at Door County Boat Works the morning after a 600 mile drive.

Come to think of it, I've still not seen another C-Dory other than in photos.

-- Chuck
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

top ten reasons a C-Dory is more sea worthy than similarly sized boats

1. the hull is the floor, unlike a V hulled boat that has a raised floor, me thinks this makes for a lower center of gravity

2 the design makes for a light weight, strong, boat...light weight, flatter hull makes the thing float like a bird. How much freeboard does a bird have?

3 closed bow keeps them pesky waves from filling your boat. I've had waves cover the bow and windshield to where all you could see was sea but got no water of concern in the boat

4 the low planing speed allows to to take on the nasty water at slower speeds and still be in control

5 well, maybe you only get five reasons unless others folks chime in...oh.....here's another good reason....it just looks salty

I would hate to think of how bad of water these boats could withstand with a good helmsman...it would be interesting to know, but I aint got the cajonies to find out

Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jelly,

I have a 16' Angler for sale right now. Check the forum on C-Dorys for sale private, to see the specs. and click on the "Denebola" photo. album to the left of this post to see pics of this beauty.

Jon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: