The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Dory Photo availability/ Providence RI Boatshow
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK John, Where is your link to the C Brat Community? Or to the individual owners who gave your permission. It seems as if that was part of the origional "deal".

I don't think you scored any points by the comments you made today.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: C-Dory Photo availability/ Providence RI Boatshow Reply with quote

New Hampshire Guy wrote:
Dear Brats and Brat Admin,
Y-Landing Marine Services is introducing the C-Dory at an upcoming boat show in Providence RI. We would like to have a TV or computer set up so passers-by can view a sort of slide show of the C-Dory boats in action.
Unfortunately with the boats so new to us and the snow and ice up here we wouldn't be able to show very much with the pictures we've got.
Would it be possible to get permission to show some photos from your site?
Do we have to ask each owner?
Just let us know the hoops and we'll start-a jumpin!
All the best to the Brats and Happy New Year!
John

History, indeed. NO WHERE in the above post does it say you will be using the images as part of your advertising other than on a TV or computer slide show. Think it's no big deal? How would you feel if someone here "borrowed" one of your boats for the weekend? Hey, we wouldn't hurt it; we just want to use it for a while; we'll even pay for the gas! You would either call the Police or expect some sort of payment. You had a lot of folks offer their images for your original purpose... perhaps those same folks would have allowed usage for OTHER advertising HAD YOU ASKED.

I am a retired professional photographer. When I sold an image, there was an intended usage. If the client used the image again for another purpose, they paid again or usage was not allowed. Unless the work was done on a "for hire" basis, and rarely does a professional do that. You are dealing with a lot of good folks here who out of the goodness of their hearts and love for these boats offered their images for a slideshow. A big sigh and a reference to "history" doesn't change things and automatically turn a "slideshow" into web advertising or give you carte blanche to take images from this site to use for advertising.

You may think I'm the bad guy here, but after having thousands of dollars of images stolen from me, I got serious about image theft and did I all could to make that "what does it hurt?" type of thinking stop. You may be very nice folks, but what you did was wrong... even if that was not your intent. Dr. Bob is again oh-so-right: you could have nipped this in the bud, but your attitude of "Ahh, history" smacks of indifference.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I know what's fair. Take the few seconds and ASK each person. Most would likely be pleased to help.

Respectfully,
Jim B

The images I post here are personal snapshots, intentionally low resolution... just for this reason. I sure have NO intention of turning this issue into a crusade here. I will now go back to being retired... y'all work this out amongst yourselves.

ccflyer

City/Region: Bradenton, FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Retriever
Photos: ccflyer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An I missing something? The thread jumps from Jan 05 to July 07.
I'm guessing photos were used without attribution but there's no indication where they are/were used.

Phil
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - it is in response to this thread.
________
Dave
ccflyer

City/Region: Bradenton, FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Retriever
Photos: ccflyer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave - I'm now up to speed.

I've got a T shirt business so I know where James is coming from. When we produce a great original graphic, the next thing we know, every flea market vendor is pushing out shirts with our design for two bucks a piece. Or, we produce a shirt that vaguely resembles a popular image and the lawyer letters arrive from the holder of the copyright/trademark.

I think John should have asked any Brat who had not given permission earlier in this thread.

That said, let me tell you a story of a friend who had his photo taken while sailing his boat in Newport RI - a big, expensive, 50 foot set up. This free lance photographer places a model in a bikini in the cockpit with my buddy for the shoot. The photo winds up, several YEARS later, in Yachting magazine. My buddy still owns the boat and his NEW wife wants an explanation!

So you see, in addition to saying who took the photo, you also ought to ask it be dated. Laughing

Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: