The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Folding Step

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Folding Step Reply with quote

Unfortunately I'm not savvy enough to figure out how to insert an image, but has anyone ever considered installing a Sea-Dog brand folding step on the outside of the cabin wall as an assist in accessing the roof of the cabin? WM has them for about $23 and they can be seen on the Sea-Dog website, part no. 322620. This one is sand-cast, chrome plated brass, but it is also available, I'm sure at a heck of a price, in cast stainless. These little babies fold flat against the mounting surface and only protrude 13/16". Their folded profile is 5 5/16" x 3 1/4". I'm considering mounting one just forward of where the back and side of the cabin come together for strength; it would be easy to through-bolt. Also, it came to me that one could be mounted topsides just above the cockpit waterline for those of you who might want an assist after falling overboard. Any thoughts?
Al

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty here. We installed something similar on the 22' Daydream. We called it a bulkhead step and they folded up the way you describe. They were stainless, I'm sure, and we got them at the Bank of WM for $15 each. They helped me a lot getting in and out when at a dock, particularly (I'm short). We saw these on Lynn Marie and I had to have them right away. They were great!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al- The C-D Pilothouse 27 that Jim / Alvig bought last year had them on the starboard side of the cabin in order to step up to the spacious roof of that boat. Look in the Alvig album here and / or on the Classic D-Dory's album on the C-Dogs site. Joe.
Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, you've got a good memory! Thanks. I would think one on a 22' would suffice. And as far as facilitation getting in and out of the cockpit, those two Garelick utility chairs I recently mounted off the rear cabin bulkhead are going to get a lot of use. They're really rock solid, and I can see them being in place more than not. They end up being intermediary in height between the gunwale and the built-in fiberglass step.
Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: