The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2 burner electric cooktop
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: 2 burner electric cooktop Reply with quote

seeking wisdom! i'm thinking about replacing my 2 burner alcohol cooktop for an electric 2 burner cooktop. i have a 30amp shore power, one 20 amp circuit and one 15 amp circuit. i know, that's 35amps total. i'll never use total capacity on both lines at the same time. so, has any one changed over to an electric cooktop? westmarine has a small 2 burner black ceramic cooktop for about $500, although eg has a 21" electric 2 burner coil type for $220 or thereabout. doesn't look to be a big deal but any advice is always welcomed.
thanks
pat
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how you gonna run the cord out to sea ?? I don't recall ever seeing full hookups on any buoys.

You already have that swell Dinkerson Fireplace/Heater...now go one step further and install their gas range...it's great..

Really I think it might hurt your resale to go electric.

Joel
SEA3PO
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you plan to cook anywhere you won't have the shore power available?

An electric unit is convenient and easy to use.

It's also much less messy, and much less dangerous than a propane, white gas, or alcohol stove.

But you have to have that shore power, unless you add a generator.

And even with a generator, a 2000 Watt generator will run one 1200 Watt "burner" and something else small, but not two burners.

If it were me, I'd keep the alcohol stove, and just buy a portable electric cooktop and put a nice cutting board over the alcohol stove (The Origo already has one).

That way, you still have the alcohol stove for cooking on the hook, and have the electric one in port.

If you take the alcohol stove out and install a permanent/built in electric stove, the boat may loose some of it's resale appeal to potential customers when you decide to move up to a larger C-Dory or get serious "two-foot-itis" and purchase that trawler or tug someday!

My Sea Ray has an electric/white gas stove, but I cook outside anyway on a portable propane stove to keep the cooking odors outdoors. The thought of 1 pint of white gas 7 inches below a couple of hot electric burners in a little copper tank can be pretty scary if you think about it! The previous owner of my boat was so afraid of it he cut the 120 VAC wires to disable the electric part(!) I re-connected it, but have never refilled the reservoir with gas, though I keep a gallon of it under the sink (!) There's enough energy in that can to raise the whole 26-1/2 foot, 8,500+ lb. boat about a mile into the sky!

I have propane in my CD-22 with a Force 10 Cozy Cabin heater and a three burner Wedgewood cooktop. That solves both the heating and cooking issues, in and out of port. Just use the propane with judicious care!

Good luck with whatever you decide on!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
patrick and linda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi joel,
each burner requires 1200 watts, so if i use only one burner, then the 2000 honda generator should do just fine. when on shore power the 20amp circuit will handle both burners. as far as resale, the electric cooktop should be more desirable than the alcohol top, for me it's a pain, always need to store and add alcohol. hodges marine, out of florida, has a black ceramic, two burner for $369. no tax and can ship tomorrow. trying to make the boat more linda friendly!
looking forward to seeing your finished project!
pat
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted by poster

Last edited by colobear on Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick,

Just my two cents but if I were looking at a 22 and saw the only way to cook was an electric cooktop at a marina I'd automatically figure on replacing that at what is probably a significant cost. That would move that boat down a notch on my list. Yes I know you have a generator and can run it for power away from a marina but generators are not for everybody.

I'd consider Sea Wolf Joe's thought about getting a separate stove and keeping the alcohol burner. We have a 1 burner Kenyon butane stove in the galley and a 2 burner Coleman "fold and go" propane stove we put in the cockpit where we do most cooking.
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat,
I think it is a wise man that tries to make his boat more Admiral friendly. But I see no need to comprimise on your desire to go electric....when you can do both with this combo fuel cooktop and there is a pretty good chance that it will fit in the hole where your old cooktop resides now.

Quote:
Boat electrical and alcohol hob
(built-in, two burners) Kenyon
ALCOHOL/ELECTRIC SERIES
The KENYON self-priming alcohol cook top is very easy to use, just touch a match to the center chimney and start cooking, no preheating or priming required. The chimney burner automatically ignites the burner ring holes with heat output that is superior to other standard alcohol burners. The burner is easily controlled by rotating a wheel that extends slightly through the cook top flange.

On the combination alcohol/electric models, 1100-watt electric cooking elements are provided in addition to the alcohol burner. The electric element is used as the grate for the alcohol burner and pivots up out of the way for easy cleaning. The heat level is adjusted with a separate adjustment wheel.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike-

That the same unit that's in my Sea Ray!

Guess it is alcohol instead of white gas!

My bad!

No changing the post from two days ago with the 30 minute time limit !!!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Deena loves ours. Reply with quote

Mabe I missed something but is Linda allergic to the Wallas?

Quote:
"...trying to make the boat more linda friendly!"

Deena loves ours.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

patrick and linda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, both linda and i are fine. don't want to mess with diesel and/or propane. although i will occasionally use small canaster of propane for our dickison fireplace heater. open flame requires opening of window while cooking and/or heating, except for the dickison, which draws outside air for the combustion process. regarding resale, currently have the 2 burner alcohol stove and that would go to the buyer, in addition to the electrical cooktop. think i'm going with the kenyon B40510 mediterranean series black ceramic 2 burner electric cooktop. approx. $339. range. will work on our dedicated 20amp circuit. may have to widen the cutout slightly. i have a single burner, self contained alcohol stove, if needed when on the hook and don't want to use generator. appreciate the responses, will post pictures when project is completed.
pat
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good feedback and several points of views... Now Pat.... my 2 cents will follow the ....."electric makes Miss Linda happy" route. Forget the value of the boat if she is not happy on it. If she is happy on it... WOW..that is priceless.

But, others bring good points to the table, as to keep the other fully functional stuff handy and properly stored...as, some day.... you may want some type of different and/or larger or smaller boat once you get on the Cumberland....

Note to self: If Momma ain't happy....ain't nobody happy.

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Byrdman, Patrick, SIR:

If you're having trouble remembering this little all-important axiom.......

Byrdman wrote:

Note to self: If Momma ain't happy....ain't nobody happy.

Byrdman

You might just try having it tattooed on your forehead so as you see it in the morning when you get up just to start the day off properly!

Good advice for me, myself, too! Anybody else want to join the repentant?

Does anybody know of a tattoo artist that can do lettering reversed right to left left so as to make it a little easier?

Joe. Laughing Thumbs Up
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought... paint it on the mirror. You won't have to worry about writing it in a "mirror image", you'll still see it when you look in the mirror every morning, AND you won't look so whipped when you walk down the docks. Wink Cool Mr. Green Twisted Evil

Some of us have it memorized.
patrick and linda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byrdman,
you are truly wise beyond your years.
hope all is well in your neck of the woods. seems like we might need a june cumberland river cruise to sort things out.
pat
patrick and linda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

today i received my kenyon mediterranean b40510 electric two burner black ceramic cooktop. purchased it from defender marine supply. this past weekend i removed my two burner alcohol stove, which happened to be a son of a gun, had to remove 2 screws with pliers. while i was doing this i also installed a dedicated 20 amp circuit breaker as well as an additional electrical receptacle box for my 15 amp circuit. i have taken pictures and will post when the install is completed. like many other c-brats, i enjoy doing these projects and hope others can benefit from seeing the process, as i have over the past years.
pat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: