lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything in these updates to be concerned with? I have a 541.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More updates for marine units:

Garmin has posted Garmin Marine Network Update with SD Card software version 2010.0714.
Garmin has posted GMI 10 software version 3.40.
Garmin has posted GPSMAP 6008 software version 2.50.
Garmin has posted GPSMAP 6012 software version 2.50.
Garmin has posted GPSMAP 6208 software version 2.50.
Garmin has posted GPSMAP 6212 software version 2.50.
Garmin has posted GPSMAP 7012 software version 2.50.
Garmin has posted GPSMAP 7015 software version 2.50.
Garmin has posted GPSMAP 7212 software version 2.50.
Garmin has posted GPSMAP 7215 software version 2.50.

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloyds,

Here is the change history for the last few on your unit:
I would say many of these including the most recent revisions look worth your time. Minimizing flakyness is a good thing in general so take what you can get.

Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.30:
◦Corrected the display of navigation waypoints when editing another route.
◦Fixed Demo Mode behavior for non-sounder units when the fishing chart is unavailable.
◦Improved display performance of the World Map.
◦Improved cartography authentication process.
◦Eliminated the potential for a rare lock-up while storing settings.
Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.20:
◦Added a control for selecting between two map vehicles and multiple sizes.
◦Enabled display of horizontal clearance information for bridges shown as lines.
◦Added a depth log to the sonar functions.
◦Added a prompt to delete unused route waypoints after deleting a route.
◦Improved map drawing performance.
◦Added alpha blending of weather radar and cloud cover with cartography.
◦Added additional engine, fuel, and vessel items to the Cruising Data Bar setup menu.
◦Added Label Devices under NMEA 2000 Setup which will allow labeling of NMEA 2000 engines and tanks with pre-defined names.
◦Changed the Engine Dashboard page automatic gauge configuration to only show the trim gauge if engine trim is available.
◦Created an NMEA 2000 Setup control in the Configuration->Communications menu and moved the Device List into the new setup menu.
◦Added support for sharing the rudder angle calibration across the NMEA2000 network to other Garmin plotters and instruments.
◦Corrected an issue with gauge needles partially drawing on the Engine dashboard page.
◦Improved experience when animating weather radar history.
◦Corrected operation of AIS On/Off switch for NMEA2000 AIS sources.
◦Improved autopilot and chartplotter synergy.
◦Moved 3D range ring labels to the side so they don't obstruct the view ahead of the vessel.
◦Added the ability to scan and review AIS vessels on the 3D charts.
◦Fixed an issue that would allow the cursor to pan outside of the 3D chart area after turning on data bars.
◦Corrected potential shutdown issue when navigating near the 180th meridian while using any of the 3D chart views.
◦Fixed an issue where the map cursor would lag map animation as the map re-centers.
◦Corrected a potential issue where fishing contours could be labeled using two different units of measure.
◦Simplified the user interface for creating new waypoints via Chart Menu->Waypoints & Tracks->New Waypoint and Information->User Data->Waypoints->Options->New Waypoint.
◦Corrected improper map rotations the first time a map is displayed while in Head Up orientation.
Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.10:
◦Corrected issue that caused some map areas to be shaded incorrectly. This issue is most likely seen as large areas filled with solid brown.
◦Fixed incorrect sun and moon predictions on the celestial page.
◦Fixed issue with fuel level gauge not updating on engine page.
◦Corrected issue where points representing cranes had purple boxes drawn around them.
◦Fixed condition where oil temperature gauge would remain in warning state on engine page.
◦Fixed issue with zoom range displaying 'Off' while creating new routes.
◦Corrected issue that caused the unit to indicate that user data transfers to SD card were complete prematurely.
◦Fixed a refresh issue with the compass tape control in the sonar menu.
Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another set of updates just released for many of the sounder/charplotter models:

GPSMAP 421/421S software version 3.50.
GPSMAP 431/431S software version 3.50.
GPSMAP 441/441S software version 3.50.
GPSMAP 451/451S software version 3.50.
GPSMAP 521/521S software version 3.50.
GPSMAP 526/526S software version 3.50.
GPSMAP 531/531S software version 3.50.
GPSMAP 536/536S software version 3.50.
GPSMAP 541/541S software version 3.50.
GPSMAP 546/546S software version 3.50.
GPSMAP 551/551S software version 3.50.
GPSMAP 556/556S software version 3.50.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Dumb question of the day. I have a 740S. How do I update the software?
Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmins are similar to other chartplotters in that updates are performed with a memory card. Below and the instructions for your unit.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsAgree.jsp?id=4763&product=010-00835-02&cID=148&pID=37721

1.Click on 'Download' and choose to save the file to your computer.
2.Choose a location where you can easily find the file, such as the 'My Documents' folder or 'C:\'.
3.Once the download is complete, go to the location where you saved the file.
4.Double-click on the downloaded file. This will automatically extract the files to C:\Garmin and run a program to transfer the software update to an SD card.
5.Power on the device and make sure all other connected devices are powered on as well.
6.Insert the card into the card slot of your primary device. Select 'Update Software' in the window that automatically displays. If you do not have a primary device with a card slot, please see your dealer.
7.After the update completes, the chartplotter containing the SD card and all NMEA 2000 sensors will have the latest software. Note: If you have additional chartplotters connected to NMEA 2000, you will have to independently update each chartplotter. After the update completes, insert the update card into each NMEA 2000 chartplotter.
localboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Greg. I looked, but the "owners manual" was useless and I didn't see a USB port on the unit. Confused Rolling Eyes
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Garmin Update Reply with quote

Hi,
Your unit uses an SD card according to the Garmin web site. Buy a blank 2 gig SD card if you don't already have one. Turn on your Garmin unit take note of what software version it is using as it starts up it will show up on the display. I think the current version for your unit is 3.0 dated October 2010. If your unit is running that your all set. You can check for software updates by going on the www.garmin.com site and click on support, drill down to software, click on marine software updates, click on chartplotters with SD card. Find your unit click on it and it will detail what changes were made. Then download to your computer and then transfer the download to your blank SD card. Then follow instuctions for plugging the SD card into your unit etc. When you are all done remove the SD card and keep it handy for the next update. When you turn the unit off and back on the new version number should show up, that way you know the update actually was installed. Simpler than it sounds, the Garmin site has more info than the manuals they come with. You can send them an email they are pretty good about responding.
D.D.

Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Garmin has consolidated thier updates into one common file for Chartplotters and one for Marine Network devices.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4763

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4749

These are large files so make sure you are "high speed" before attempting. I guess this makes it a bit easier to distribute updates but there is still a link within to the individual update details for a specific unit.
seabeagle

City/Region: Farmington Hills
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Beagle II - Sold 4-19-12
Photos: Sea Beagle II
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
OK. Dumb question of the day. I have a 740S. How do I update the software?

When you do your update, have all devices plugged in... GPS, depth sounder, etc. The system updates also include software for all devices on the network. If an update is available for a device, it won't unstall unless it's plugged in. At least thats how it works with my 5208. Overall, a very easy procedure. Can take about 10 minutes depending on the speed of the unit.

From Garmin Website http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4763#Instruct

Installation Instructions
1.Click on 'Download' and choose to save the file to your computer.
2.Choose a location where you can easily find the file, such as the 'My Documents' folder or 'C:\'.
3.Once the download is complete, go to the location where you saved the file.
4.Double-click on the downloaded file. This will automatically extract the files to C:\Garmin and run a program to transfer the software update to an SD card.
5.Power on the device and make sure all other connected devices are powered on as well.
6.Insert the card into the card slot of your primary device. Select 'Update Software' in the window that automatically displays. If you do not have a primary device with a card slot, please see your dealer.
7.After the update completes, the chartplotter containing the SD card and all NMEA 2000 sensors will have the latest software. Note: If you have additional chartplotters connected to NMEA 2000, you will have to independently update each chartplotter. After the update completes, insert the update card into each NMEA 2000 chartplotter.

system requirements
1.IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP or later operating system and an available SD card reader.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/SeaBeagleII
localboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTH just happened? Confused I DID NOT repost.
localboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally got around to updating the software in our 740S. Downloaded the latest file, copied onto the SD card etc. No problem. Out to the boat. Fired the unit up, inserted the card, touched "update software" and the screen said it updated.

But I turned the unit back on and it still says version 2.4. Confused Tried it three times. No change. Any ideas? Neutral I'm wondering if I didn't register the unit w/ Garmin; I don't remember. Could that have any effect? Ideas/input?

I'm not Bill Gates, but I'm not a moron either.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Garmin Update Reply with quote

Localboy,
I would think something went wrong on the download thru your computer or the data transferr to the chip. I would start over going through the steps following Garmin's instructions. I had the same thing once and deleted it off my computer and redid those whole process and then it completed it sucessfully. Garmin's email help is usually pretty fast to respond if problems continue.
D.D.
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it's worth the money, i have a 2006 Garmin Bluechart preprogrammed chip for my 2006 Garmin 172C GPSChartPlotter.I contacted Garmin and they have a exchange program for my data chip, which is a 2008 chip update. (2008 is the last and only update for this chip). I send them $80 plus $8 for shipping and i get the 2008 updated data chip verson.My question ; is it worth even this amount of money, how much information and data has changed in two years????? Tug
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The better question is how much as changed in the several years since the 2008 update. I am not a big fan of the updates. If I am cruising an area, I do the latest Notice of Mariners, Light List, check the guide books, and Active Captain. All of these are more up to date than the charts. It is rare that the shoreline, rocks etc change. Marinas come and go--but that info is on line. I have navigated many parts of the world with 50 to 100 year old chart databases.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: