View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tad and Toby Jackson

City/Region: Merritt Island
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Comfy Dory
Photos: Comfy Dory
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Florida Gulf Coast Vacation Cruise Reply with quote

Toby and I are going to cruise the west coast of Florida for our Dory long vacation this year. We will trailer the Comfy Dory across the state on Aug. 27th or 28th to Fort Myers. We want to leave the truck and trailer at a secure location for about 2 weeks. We'll spend about 3-4 days in the Pine Island Sound / Charlotte Harbor area and then cruise south to Naples and Marco Island and then the Ten Thousand Islands area. We've both recently read Shadow Country by Peter Mathis and want to explore some of the areas that are mentioned in the book. We don't know exactly how far south we will travel, but will have to be back in Ft. Myers on Sept. 10th or 11th to return to home and work on Merritt Island.
Do any of the Fla. West Coast Brats know of a facility in Ft. Myers that we could securely keep the truck and trailer for that period of time?

Thanks...Tad
larryndebbie

City/Region: Brooksville
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: blueskies
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franklin Lock in Ft. Myers allowed us to park our van for 10 days for the three dollar launch fee during our trip across Lake Okeechobee, and kept an eye on it for us. They were terrific and all was well when we got back! Larry & Debbie on Blue Skies[/b]
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Larry,
I just got back from a trip up state and I am a bit bushed at the moment and off the top of my head I can't think of any place to recomend to you at the moment. I will get with Jim (jennykatz) and if we can come up with any suggestions, we will post them back here tomarrow.

Now if you were heading this way before July 1'st I would have a place for you here in my yard for your rig and you would have no worries but things have changed for us and we
will be moving up to Astor, Fl. and will no longer be here come August.

I am sure we will be able to give you some options to look into for your trip.

Mike

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Tad and Toby Jackson

City/Region: Merritt Island
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Comfy Dory
Photos: Comfy Dory
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Larry. I will try and call Franklin Lock this week. What kind of company are they? Phone #?

Mike, thanks. I would appreciate your thoughts after you have had a chance to catch up and rest. Do you know if Bulldog Boatwerks has a facility where we could keep the truck and trailer? Of course, we would expect to pay a daily fee for storage...just want to make sure everything is still there when we return.
Are you moving permanently to Astor? We take a trip every year on the St. John's starting at Lake Harney and at least up to Lake George. We love cruising through the Astor area and have spent the night on the hook just south of Astor tucked in behind a "midden" island several times. Very neat area!

Tad
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Toby, if I'm not mistake and I am a lot these days Franklin Lock is the last Lock west on the Okeechobe Canal and it also has and adjoining State Park Campground, boat ramp and small marina. I stayed there February a year ago. It's a very secure place and at the time they were catching snook right from the pier next to the lock. I think it was a flat $20 a night for the marina which had water and 30 Amp electric. It's remote so don't expect to purchase any supplies there. The phone number is 901-853-6196. I think there are pics of it in my photo album. Have a great trip.
larryndebbie

City/Region: Brooksville
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: blueskies
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby, Marvin is right about W.P. Franklin campground {239-694=8770}.We launched the Dory on the south side of the Caloosahatchee River at the W.P. Franklin lock recreation area (239-694-2582) and was able to leave the rig there during our trip. I'm not sure they are able to do this all the time, for that long, but they were able to help us out during our trip. It is beautifully managed by the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers. (www.reserveusa.com) Maybe there are pictures and more info. It was such a relaxing, "easy boating" fabulous trip. Larryndebbie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: