View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Replacing a Wallas Stove Wick.... Reply with quote

I have a single burner Wallas stove. It starts-up and runs ok, but the heat output isn't even close to what I experienced with the (previous) two burner Wallas.

Last week I called Mike at Wallas, and he indicated the stove may need a new wick ... of course that's about a $200 job at the factory. (Mike indicated that the Wallas needs to be run about one hour a month to keep from "waxing" up. That doesn't coincide with my previous (two burner) experience, but I'll go with what he said.)

Does anyone have any experience replacing one of these "wicks" and is it feasible to to do it yourself?

I would also appreciate other ideas as to how I might increase the heat output on the 2006 single-burner outfit. I've now switched over to Klean Heat, and added a bit of alcohol, per the Wallas instruction manual.

Unlike some, I've always had pretty good experience wth the Wallas stove, and hope to continue using it.

Best,
Casey
"Katmai" Venture 23
...just back from a (cold) two week St. John's River trip

smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Origo! Reply with quote

I recently met with Casey in Welaka on the St Johns River (hi Casey :-), and I must compliment him on his beautiful new Venture 23. An abundance of room, it seems twice as big as my 22 Cruiser. About the only thing significant he lacks is my ac/dc refrigerator, which I really appreciate, and of course he has the #!@##% Wallas stove. I had one, and replaced with an Origo alcohol stove, which I like because it has two moving parts and I'm confident I could repair the thing if it ever breaks, which I think is very unlikely.

There seem to be three categories of Wallas owners. The first contains those that have never had a failure with their Wallas, and are happy as clams, because when it works, I'll admit it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. The second category contains those who are mechanically adept, and have taken the time to become intimately familiar with the innards of the Wallas, so they can fix it when it breaks. The third category, into which I fit when I had a Wallas, are those mechanically challenged people who have no alternative than to send their Wallas off to the factory when it breaks, at a cost of at least $200 per.

Casey, my advice, taken with a grain of salt and given tongue in cheek; get an Origo. But, if you don't take that advice, I hope this is your only failure with the wallas, and from now on you fit in category 1. Best of luck, Smitty
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the twin burner apart twice a few years ago. if you take it out and flip it up side down and take your time you can figure how to take it apart. and maybe get it back together. I did not see a wick, unless that's what they are calling the round flat pad at the bottom of the combustion chamber. very thin piece of fabric. once you get to it just pull it out and insert another one. very straight forward,would be more so with a manual.
Big dave

City/Region: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Raven Dancer
Photos: Raven Dancer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey;
My friend has the single burner Wallas in his boat and I have the two burner Wallas in my boat.
His single burner is a completely different stove then my two burner. His single burner runs on kerosene mine runs on diesel. Mike at Scan Marine told him to never put diesel in his stove and told me to avoid putting anything but diesel in mine.
The way they ignight is different, the glow plugs are different, the fuel pump is different, and the temperature range is way different. My two burner is much hotter and reaches a higher temp a lot quicker.
Last week I took my stove in for a service after five years of trouble free use, Mike replaced the intake fan, the glow plug and the fuel mat in the combustion chamber. I made arrangements with Mike before I brought it in and he finished working on my stove in about 4 hours while I messed around in Pikes Market. The total bill was about $280 by the time I would of bought the parts and did the work myself I think I got a great deal.
If it was me with your stove and your location, I would put the stove in a small cooler and pack it with foam and send it to Scan Marine and have the pro's fix it.
Just my two cents.
Dave.
Raven Dancer.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big dave wrote:
My friend has the single burner Wallas in his boat and I have the two burner Wallas in my boat.

His single burner is a completely different stove then my two burner. His single burner runs on kerosene mine runs on diesel. Mike at Scan Marine told him to never put diesel in his stove and told me to avoid putting anything but diesel in mine.

The way they ignight is different, the glow plugs are different, the fuel pump is different, and the temperature range is way different. My two burner is much hotter and reaches a higher temp a lot quicker.

I was talking to Scan Marine at the SBS about a 1-burner for my 22. He said it puts out enough heat for the 22 and that the factor used to install them in 22s. I have had good luck with my 2-burner on my Tom Cat, but it is about a grand more than the 1-burner unit. It's good to have your comments in hand before committing. Now I am back to not knowing what to do. I don't want propane, and I don't want alcohol. <sigh>

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Chris

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Rana Verde
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "single burner" Wallas has only 60% the heat output of the "two burner". The reality is both stoves only have one burner. The larger stove has more area to extract more BTU's and deliver them to the living space. I bet your stove is fine...just doesn't have the heating capacity you remember from your larger stove. I don't think I would want to try and get by with the smaller stove in a 22...let alone a bigger boat.
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks - good replies, All.

Chris, I think you're correct. Smaller stove, bigger boat; there's got to be a tradeoff. As I recall, the two burner Wallas claims that one burner has approximately twice the heat output of the other burner. I suspect what we have here is the less-hot burner, which is probably working fine; it just wasn't what I was expecting.

So ... my solution will be to travel in less cold areas! Gee's who would have thought that since I'm in FLORIDA for God Sake!

Thanks Brat's!

Best,
Casey
...at home in The Villages (and maybe planning a trip around the South Florida Loop!) Stay Tuned!
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW when you all line up to order your new C Dorys [ I just did, so weve got you covered], the 22 comes with a one burner Wallas option . I suppose we can change it to a two burner on request .
Marc

20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the two burner and have been quite happy with it. But I've noticed that when using it while underway, occasionally I get a very stinky smell onboard and the lights start blinking like it's turning off. Typically this happens in rough water. Is this normal? And is there any way of preventing it?
amy and karl

City/Region: Graham
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-DAISY
Photos: C-DAISY
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Wallas Reply with quote

Yes, that is normal. It usally happens on our boat when the wind hits it just wrong. Have not had it happen with our Espar yet.

Karl
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20dauntless wrote:
I've got the two burner and have been quite happy with it. But I've noticed that when using it while underway, occasionally I get a very stinky smell onboard and the lights start blinking like it's turning off. Typically this happens in rough water. Is this normal? And is there any way of preventing it?

Have a fix for that:
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?p=154213&highlight=#154213

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont want to hi-jack the post but i have to.

why are people in general scared of propane? I would want propane in my boat and may switch, next boat will have propane cook top for sure. For me its just a matter of cooking ability and heat control. don't know if you have noticed my profile but I like good food. you can not cook really good food with out controlling the heat and a flame is the best way to do that.

As for the safety issue as long as the gas is not in a confined space the most you can hope for is a quick flash burn back to the source and then a small sooty flame. the only time a propane tank will explode is if a closed tank ( no pressure release) is heated and then it will only rupture unless there is a open flame to ignite the gas.

I would get calls every summer from new propane costumers. They would have the tank installed when they moved in or in the winter and not like that big white tank in their back yards. so they have hubby paint the tank brown or dark green or even black. First warm sunny day the tank heats up and blows a release valve and out goes all the propane. never had one light off. just makes a hell of a noise and scares folks.

Now I would not want to heat with propane for the fumes and mositure issues but would use a vented central type heater as many here have. but for cooking a flame is the best.
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
dont want to hi-jack the post but i have to.

why are people in general scared of propane? I would want propane in my boat and may switch, next boat will have propane cook top for sure. For me its just a matter of cooking ability and heat control. don't know if you have noticed my profile but I like good food. you can not cook really good food with out controlling the heat and a flame is the best way to do that.

As for the safety issue as long as the gas is not in a confined space the most you can hope for is a quick flash burn back to the source and then a small sooty flame. the only time a propane tank will explode is if a closed tank ( no pressure release) is heated and then it will only rupture unless there is a open flame to ignite the gas.

I would get calls every summer from new propane costumers. They would have the tank installed when they moved in or in the winter and not like that big white tank in their back yards. so they have hubby paint the tank brown or dark green or even black. First warm sunny day the tank heats up and blows a release valve and out goes all the propane. never had one light off. just makes a hell of a noise and scares folks.

Now I would not want to heat with propane for the fumes and mositure issues but would use a vented central type heater as many here have. but for cooking a flame is the best.

Wow...Hasn’t this been hashed out as much as the twin vs single issue? Rolling Eyes
Simplicity

City/Region: Chipley
Vessel Name: Simplicity
Photos: Simplicity
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Casey- We have the single Wallas &it heats great.We’ve only used the mineral spirits that the instructions recommended.A lot of people seem to have problems with the wallas so it’s probably just a matter of time.Hope you come up with a fix. While I’m at it, we sealed & painted the bottom in 2008 before our Loop trip. I’d rather have gel coat but when you’re in the water for an extended period you have to paint. It was pricey also.
Good cruising-Alan
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wefings wrote:
BTW when you all line up to order your new C Dorys [ I just did, so weve got you covered], the 22 comes with a one burner Wallas option . I suppose we can change it to a two burner on request .
Marc

Marc, are most people happy with the 1-burner on their 22s in the winter? I don't go boating when the ambient temps are below freezing, so my minimum cold is probably similar to the minimum in FL.

Warren
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: