View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Weems & Plath Road/Light Rule Reply with quote

Anyone using any of these sliderule type devices? (See them here:

http://www.weems-plath.com/store/product-list.php?id=20943

For chart, marker, light identification assistance? There are 5 or more different devices and I may have picked up the wrong one. I got home with "RoadRule IALA #292." It has a tab that says "IALA Regions A & B". I do not know where these are, but the package looks like South Atlantic, Indian Ocean and Western Pacific.

Now I see that there is one for ROADrule USATONS #290 and LIGHTrule COLREGS #190

Looking at the map on the package, the later 2 appear to be more USA water oriented, however, the inland rule threw me off because up here we are International rule based (I believe, Correct me if I am wrong here). I will try and call Captians Nautical Supply and see if they know for sure which we need here, and/or if they will switch with me if I need a different one.

I think we sorted several out on the counter and then he picked up the wrong one and handed it to the register guy. Should have been staying more awake. Rolling Eyes Happy SBS days,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: need to get the right one Reply with quote

Just talked to Captain's and they said I can exchange, straight across, now just need to get the right one.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Americas use "B" lateral bouyage system, (Red right returning), and the rest of the world uses "A".
A fairly good explaination of the various parts of the system is at:

http://www.sailingissues.com/navcourse9.html

If you are voyaging to these parts of the world, I would definately suggest that you memorize, or at least have handy the information.

In the US, most of our bouys are well marked on the charts--along with the light characteristics for navigation--and updating with local notice to mariners is a very good idea.

I have never used such a device, and wonder if it is really worth having, since when you should be focusing with eyes on the water, you may be working with the device? There are a multitude of both plastic 9 x 12 cards which have most of the lights on them for ships. Also I recommend that all boats have aboard a copy of the navigational rules: CRF 33: 88.05

These are available as a down load PDF:

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules/download.htm

or in a paperback by Paradise Cay publication--both have illustration of all of the various lights and shapes.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
outta_route

City/Region: Inverness
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: BOB TIME
Photos: BOB TIME
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that' a good link, bob. the captains course teaches all of those rules, but it's always good to have a hard copy with you in unfamiliar waters. the coast guard aux. also has short courses in navigation and rules of the road, which i've heard are really helpful.
be safe and happy sailing!

hardee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: might be a nice, quick, method for Identifying Reply with quote

BOB TIME Has to be about the best non "C" boat name I've seen in a while.

Thanks Dr Bob for the links. I will look at that. I have both Chapman's and the USCG COLREG book onboard. I thought that this might be a nice, quick, method for Identifying an unfamiliar marker, buoy or light set, since I don't have the others memorized.

Thanks for the answer on the region question. The slide rule indicates some markers are A and some are B.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,

The International Rules apply in the Puget Sound and connecting US waters. They also apply, with a few modifications, in Canadian waters.

The US info is in the back pages of the USCG Navigation Rules, International/Inland, under the heading
'Colregs Demarcation Lines'.

Here is the wording of Colregs Demarcation Lines 80.1395:

"The 72 COLREGS shall apply on all waters of Puget Sound and adjacent waters, including Lake Union, Lake Washington, Hood Canal, and all tributaries."

The 72 COLREGS is the International Rules.

So all boat lights must comply with the International Rules.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
sweet pea

City/Region: Gulfport
State or Province: MS
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sweet Pea (SOLD 10/2012)
Photos: Sweet Pea
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules of the Road and Lights and Navigation can be confusing stuff. If you don't use it daily you will lose it. I memorized everything for my USCG 100 Ton License but I assure you I refer to Chapman and my Sea School books often!

You can't have enough resources, but with limited space you have to go with he most effective and efficient means. I prefer a Dell Mini 10 PC. It runs on 12v and I have it loaded with software. Makes searching for a unknown (actually can't remember) light scenario a breeze. Also have Fugawi software linked to GPS this creates a Moving Map Chart using real NOAA charts. This really helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: