The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Stainless or Not

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Stainless or Not Reply with quote

From: C-Worthy (Original Message) Sent: 7/17/2003 2:47 PM
A co-worker has offered to trade me her two Stainless props for a good aluminum one. This is a screamer deal, but I'm not sure I want to put them on C-Worthy. What are the good/bad points with stainless steel propellers? I've heard the bad - heavy, can break the shaft if hit hard, expensive. Any others?

How about good. Here's the list so far: They are tougher. More efficient (though I don't know about this), prettier.

Any more things to add?

A good general discussion of prop choices ise found at the Yamaha site, and probably at other marine engine makers:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/accessories/otb/propellers01.html
I'm wondering the same thing as I equip my new 16 ft CD. C-Dory's home office is familiar with the Hondas. When I called them, their "motor guy" told me the 16 foot cruiser takes an 11 1/8 diameter 13 pitch prop. I think one question we want to ask ourselves first before prop selection is the most common speed we'll travel,... high speed planning, low speed planning or displacment (trolling). Another might be how likely you'll churn gravel and sand (as river fishermen might), which can really chew up an aluminum prop. The final question is the extra price-to-added benefit trade-off. I wouldn't pay a dime for "good looks" Who's going to see it other than the angry motorist on the freeway behind me honking at me to get out of his way?! For him, I'd choose an ugly prop! ~ Keith & Kimiko, "C-PUP" (Los Angeles).

Great name C-PUP! I like it. Perfect.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out and post what I find out.

Blain
"C-Worthy"

In my early days I thought that stainless was the way to go but as I got older and somewhat wiser I discovered that the prop can be a fuse. When you hit something like a rock, stump or floating log something is going to give. If you have a tough stainless prop the thing that gives will be in the lower unit. I would rather replace a prop than a lower unit, shaft or anything that requires all of that shim work. Besides, I carry a spare prop just in case.
You can and should find the right prop for your boat (Pitch etc) but you can find the "right" prop in stainless or aluminum. There are even some new lighter carbon fiber props.
Just some food for thought as you make this decision. I wound up replacing the shaft on my last boat when I dinged the stainless prop on a rock in the Columbia. Not only was that expensive but it ruined my whole day and put the boat and crew in jepordy because I did not have a back up motor at the time. I was lucky to be able to make it back to the dock by limping down river. It would have been far better to have just replaced the prop and enjoy the rest of the day.
I hope this helps...

Ray on Sea Lion

It's the wrong MSN site to say this, but "C-PUP" is a nod to the "C-Dogs" of which we'll have two barking ones on board our 16 ft cruiser. Other names I considered for our small C-Dory is "Shrunken Fortune", "Small Portfolio", or "Busted Bubble", but then who wants to be reminded of one's past follies while having fun! I also thought of the name "Turbulant Passions" as a nod to the Walt Whitman poem at El & Bill's Halcyon Days' web page, but I didn't want to give my wife any ideas while I'm focusing on fishing! If my wife Kimiko hates the boat however, then another word grab from that poem, "Brooding & Blissful", might be most appropriate! ~ Keith (C-PUP)

I agree with you totally Ray. Back when I was all 'hot to trot' for a stainless prop, I swallowed the 'bull' they said about them...

They would not bend if you hit a piece of "bulb kelp" and...

they give you better fuel mileage because they are able to be so much thinner because they are so much "more rigid"

Well to tell ya the truth it's easy to swallow that kind of sales pitch, when you have an eye for beauty and stealth machinery... (and I do)

I can still see an advantage to them though. Because I went "clam digging" with one once and was lucky not to bend the shaft, the stainless prop, only needed a little fileling on to get back to looking perfect again. I'm sure an aluminum one would have bent and needed major repair.

OK a little more of my experience to tell before I shut up.... I paid about 500$ for a Stiletto 4 bladder. The thing I do not like about it most is: the weight, and the rough engagement it has because of the weight! It's WAY TOO thick a prop for it being stainless!! (try another brand or buy a used one from RedFox) I don't know, maybe there is a real nice stainless prop out there some where? and it might be worth it to!
greg

Ordered one of the propulse composite props, should be here next week http://www.propulse.se/english/ . We'll see, I have not heard much good about plastic prop systems but they look to have resolved some of the problems and offer props up to 275hp for outboards. Like the no corrison part, adjustable pitch, replacable blades ($20ea) has it's appeal.
Bit of an experiment egged on by a small dip on one blade of my existing prop and some minor damage caused by a huge spectra line tange out halibut fishing to the spare (someone thought they a hog on). $50 dollar repair bill each time week wait and bad Portland drive to and from the repair shop.
If I have time to test I'll install next week and try a short ocean trip after a few runs in the bay.
stevej

Excellent, a test pilot. The info on those props looks interesting enough.I like the idea of being able to change blades and just packing spare blades...West marine carries those and they're on sale I ran a composition prop on my old boat and have a pair on the B~C, ran over many a stick and have had no problems........we'll be expecting a full report

So, is that your report there Ken?
How much salad did it cause you to part with?
Did you notice any difference?
Have you tried to adjust them?
Sounds like the cat's meow, does Bambina have one yet?

Ray, no, we have to wait for Steve J to test the Propulse props for us....I run just the composition props, no replacable or adjustable blades. The four blade plastic prop will set you back about $70-80 a copy...they're a tough, smooth running prop

The concept does have its appeal no doubt. You need to remove the prop to adjust pitch but looks like you could do it in 30 minutes or so. I figure you could wipe out three of the four blades and sill repair cheaper than minor ding on a standard prop.

May give it the acid test next week, right now I run a 13 x 17 and could use a little less pitch with a full load in the boat. The propulse adjusts in 2" even increments from 16" to 20" so I'm thinking the 16" would be perfect. If I can get to Newport early enough Thursday I'll mount it up and give it a test run in the bay. If all goes well I'll leave it or for the chicken ranch run on Friday although things will need to be perfect before I take that chance.

Also interested in the 4 blade VS. 3 blade performance aspect seems like I've read that the four blade is better suited to a flat bottom design. Anyhow time to clean house, water the garden and start prepping for next week.
stevej

Forgot the salad thing, they run about 20 bucks more than a standard alumimum prop for my 115 hp. West marine is running a 15% off sale on props right now so the total was about $145.00. $169 full retail but did not check to see if that is a flat rate or if it scales with size.
stevej

So got the propulse mounted Thursday.
The model I have is a 13" x 16" to 20" pitch went with the same pitch as my alum. prop at 17". Thought I might pickup a 100 rpm or so due to the lighter weight and thinner sharper profile but looks to be about the same maybe 50 rpm less.
It's adjustable in 1" increments that equate to about 200 rpm and has two unadvertised settings of 15" and 21".
Did a ocean trail Friday and Saturday totaled about 5 hours run time and around 75 miles in somewhat lumpy to very lumpy conditions. Not the best for conditions for being able to tell minor differances. Made a couple full throttle runs on the bay for an rpm check also.
Pitch adjustment is easy loosen four stainless bolts with supplied allen wrench grab two of the blades and twist a little. All four are locked together so they all move at once, tighten the bolts and your done. Little guage on the side shows if your + or - from middle pitch (18").
Supplied instructions are fair at best
Not real big on the fact that you must use a special thrust washer and they only supply one.
It is smoother running than my alum. props. and both have been recently balanced.
Seems to cavitate less.
Acceleration and time to get on plane felt about the same.
Trim adjustment is different I droped the motor down a notch and played all day to get a feel for the correct setting. It's tough to tell on the ocean and I need to spend some time getting the correct combination of tab vs motor trim. It's not off by much just did not feel right.
All in all it was tough to tell much differance between stock and the propulse. Not a bad thing I've never had a problem with the stock props other than one dinged with small gouge, one ding on one blade, and one dent on the inside collar somehow by a tough line tangle. Believe the bill totals about $225.00 over 4 years. The same fixes would be around $60.00 for three baldes on the propulse and I doubt that there would have been an issue with the inside collar, the blades are so sharp it would cut the line without much effort (hub also has a three year warrenty).
I'll give it another workout this weekend, if conditions permit should be able to rack up a couple hundred miles and get a better feel for things. Right now I feel that the slightly smoother operation and cheeper faster fix make it a better deal than alum. but I won't be throwing the ones I have away and will carry one as a spare along with four replacement porpulse blades.
stevej

Steve - That sounds cool. All the pluses you describe are great both for the boat and peace of mind. I finally got a prop I am happy with, so I don't think I'll tell Kay we need another one, but don't forget this thread and keep us updated - good and bad.

Thanks,

Mike

Oh, by the way, the prop I just got for my Honda 75 is a Solas 3 x 13.5 x 15 aluminum with the servicable hub. I was using a Mighigan Wheel of the same size, but the new Solas far out performs it in every category. As long as I don't ding it, I'm good to go. If I do, Lord knows I have enough spares!

Well now,

All y'all knew the old goat would flip the coin over. I like stainless props for the way I boat. I don't like stainless for the way Greg and Fred explore, but the stainless props will chew up a whole bunch of drift (not logs!!) without damage. I've had my share of twisted shafts, broken gears, etc. over the years from stainless -- as well as enough sunflowered alloy props to make a Dali canvas -- depends, I think on what you do. I fish, shrimp, crab, and rarely beach the boat -- and we are almost always in familiar waters. Stainless for me! Ymmv. Gotta go bake that purty Coho. See ya --

Dusty

Dusty and the other replies sum it up well. It's a matter of personal prefence and how you boat.
I think if someone offered me a two for one deal on stainless in good shape VS alum. I would be an owner if for no other reason than to try out.

Did the halibut trip last friday and saturday totaled 180 miles and 11 hours on the new prop. Had much better ocean conditions in the afternoon so got a better feel for the propulse. Trim is fine by setting the motor down one notch and seems to feel about the same as with the stock prop.
It does feel a bit smoother still and I think there is less tendency to cavitate but then again I did have to trim the motor down so call it a wash.
Right now I say it's at least as good as the stock alum. prop. Time will tell on how it holds up and what it takes for abuse. No doubt there will be a fair number of chances to run over some debri when I'm back on the rivers this winter.

stevej
Moxieabs

City/Region: Cape Neddick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Widget
Photos: Widget
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Composite prop Reply with quote

Stevj,
I tried to send you email from the member list but gets returned to me. Might be best if you answer on this thread for the benefit of the Pub anyway. I'll be buying a spare prop for my BF90 (the rocks in ME are renoun) soon. How has yours held up to the abuse since your last post of Aug 03? What pitch did you seem to find best for your use? Thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: