The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Toaster ovens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cemiii

City/Region: Alamo
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: The Last One........ III
Photos: The Last One, III
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Toaster ovens Reply with quote

I was reading a thread on microwaves and a number of people seemed to be going over to toaster ovens. I have a 2000w inverter (cheapo) off a 3 optima house bank and my low power microwave has never really worked very well. So I am looking at toaster ovens as a possible alternative. The first several on-line reviews I read scared me quite a bit (exploding glass doors, serious burns and the like).

So I'm looking for model ideas that have worked out well (or have not) on other CD's to narrow my search universe.

Also, any input on the battery drain would be helpful.

Thank you, Chris

Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a toaster oven. I think it draws about 1500w. I have two 275 ah house batteries, usually used one at a time. A few minutes with the toaster oven on will take one house battery to 11.5v ! Big draw. We usually run the Honda 2000w generator or use both house batteries in parallel when using the toaster oven. We do enjoy using it however and the batteries charge up while running during the day.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
volsman

City/Region: Gulf Breeze
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Adventure
Photos: Adventure
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Toaster ovens Reply with quote

We have a toaster oven made by Cuisinart. It is a convection oven , toaster and broiler with timer. It works great on our Honda 2000i and shore power. You need to check that the inside shelves will not just fly out. On our's one shelf level locks in and others do not . You have to be careful that it does not fly out on the boat while you are cooking. Hot things flying out on the boat is like having your pants down.

Carl and Jo Ann
cemiii

City/Region: Alamo
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: The Last One........ III
Photos: The Last One, III
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After responses and a few power calculations it seems that expecting to do anything substantial on a t/o, with battery power alone, is going to be difficult.

I think my direction is turning back toward looking for a more powerful microwave, but it is not terribly easy to find choices that are not solid state.

Maybe I should be shopping Garage Sales for these antiques.

Thanks for the replies.

Chris
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris,

My 1st Sharp Half-pint(860 watts) is over 25 years old and still works great. She started out as my only microwave before she moved into Adeline's icebox(door removed). Sports a carousel and handles a full size dinner plate no problem. The mechanical timer is easier and quicker to use than repeated keystrokes of a digital timer. It is a 1st generation (circa early '80s) model R-1M50.

After she reported for sea-duty I replaced her with a slightly newer R-1M53(900 watts) Here's one on Ebay that was my Mom's. It's now been working for over 20 years.
I've long had a theory that the lower powered units cook more evenly and uniformly than larger ones. Mom also had a top-of-the-line Thermador that produced dishes that were overcooked in one spot and raw in another. Slower seems better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: