City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveS wrote:
Toaster Oven for us as well. My wife is thrilled with it and I certainly endorse it because of all of the culinary delights my wife produces from it! In my opinion, it is more useful, (in the hands of someone that can cook....not me), than a microwave. In the toaster oven, Carol makes breakfast, hot sandwiches, lasagna, etc, etc. ummm, good! Smile

Now you’re talking, if I could figure out a way to have a toaster oven onboard without shore power, inverter, or generator I’d go for it; miss having the ability to bake. When we camp tailored shake & bake chicken was a staple at least every other weekend...miss that along with biscuits and gravy for breakfast.

Guess we will just have to put up with meals like Posta and fresh shrimp, blackened salmon and rice, fried potatoes with rock fish and other bland delights.

If we can’t catch our protein its tube steaks or one of those bags of dehydrated meals stashed for gastronomic emergencies.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enough coffee.... gotta go fix something to eat.
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any proper sized (to the inverter) microwave with mechanical controls will work on a modified sine wave inverter. There are still mechanical control microwaves available. I have also used solid state microwaves on a quality Modified sine wave inverter. Any of the pure sine wave inverters will run any appropiate sized microwave (solid state or mechanical controls).

I did not use a microwave on my 22, but did on the 25 and currently do on my Tom Cat.

The Honda EU 1000 or 2000 i generators are pure sine wave inverters running off an alternator, and will run all of the microwaves.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread, as we just decided to get a microwave to use on our 22. Most the time, my wife prepares food prior to our trips, so many times we are just reheating stuff. After my last solo trip, it just seems to make more sense to get rid of the electric frying pan and take the microwave. We bought the smallest one Walmart had, a 750 watt unit. Yes, it takes up a bit more room than the frying pan, but not much. And I pulled the KISS stove out a year ago, now just using a portable single burner butane stove. I also believe a microwave won't put quite as much steam in the cabin... My question is, for those of you that have Microwaves, do you secure them down, or just let them sit? Initially my plans were to make some kind of fastening system to secure the microwave down, on that countertop where the stove was located at one time. However, I'm also thinking it would be some kind of system that was not permanent, as we wouldn't always need to have the microwave along. SO now I'm wondering if it's ok to just sit it where we want to use it, and in rough water tie it down under the dinette table or throw it up in the v-berth. So, just wondering how others have done it. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made small chocks, with a cutout for the legs of the microwave feet. These don't need to be very high; just enough to keep the oven from sliding.

Often the watts is output--not input. It will be interesting to see what the input is. Do you have a Kill-O-Watt meter? It will measure the amps and watts input.

We are using an induction stove, and the EU 1000 will run it at the medium setting which seems to be fine for all we heat/eat. No heating of the cabin, and not a lot of power.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used a small square unit with some of these to help hold it in position and they worked well enough for the movement of our 25.

http://fasteningsolutions.com/200WT.200BK.html

This is the only picture I could find of that unit in our albums

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1150&id=IMG_1586&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greg, I'll have to see if I can find some. Perfect for what I was thinking. Bob, I do have that meter you mention. In fact, I just pulled the meter out of my tool drawer the other day to see how much my Cpap was drawing as I got a new inverter. Not much without the humidifier! Very Happy I'm pretty sure my Honda 2000 can power the 750 watt microwave when I use it as opposed to shore power. But I should put the meter on it while it's still in the house just for curiosity. Colby
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a photo of my built-in microwave in my album. It's under the front port seat base. Never had any regrets with this system. Lots of frozen egg croissant's went through it over the years. My EU2000 or my Pro sign inverter both ran it in all ranges. As I recall is wasn't more than 1000 watts.

It's something in the water!
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are handy at home and work but on a boat the size of mine it would take up too much space, add too much weight and eat too much hydro.

If you are building it into a cabinet don't forget the back needs to be vented or it will overheat and shut off.

My mom managed fine without one - when I worked late she would heat up my plate of dinner in a frying pan. Put a metal ring from a mason jar in the middle, added water up to the top of ring then put plate on ring and lid on frying pan. Dinner was steamed - it did not take long and did not dry out like food in a micro.

Regards, Rob

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"This site says you must enter a message when posting" - a duplicate post Xmas LOL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, I like how you installed yours under that seat....but I need all that cabinet space! Shocked I'm probably going to look into some of those thumb latch things, or something equivalent. Really want to just be able to use the microwave on the countertop, or table. And also be able to take it off the boat or put somewhere out of the way if we need that counterspace.... Colby
texasair

City/Region: Cypress, Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bixby's Cub
Photos: Bixbys Cub
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, This is what we use, about as compact as you can get, I think a couple of other brats have the same one.
600w cooking power actually uses close to 800 w. We carry a Honda EU 1000 on the boat and it works hard but will power it. An EU 2000 wont even break a sweat. It has old fashioned analog controls. Down here on the Texas coast we sometimes have durability issues with electronic controls on cheap appliances. The salt air does not seem to agree with them, No such issues with the analog controls. The analog ones are getting hard to find.

Westinghouse WCM660W 600 Watt Counter Top Rotary Microwave Oven, 0.6 Cubic Feet, Black or White
by Westinghouse
$56.99 $ 56 99 $59.99Prime
Get it by Friday, Dec 8
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tex. But we already have that 750 watt Microwave. I think it'll do fine here in our mostly fresh water use areas! Smile Also think I found some straps to use to tie it down. The thumb style mentioned earlier were a bit more pricey than I wanted to pay. I found some "furniture tie downs" that I think I can make work. And if not, I can always use them in the house! Colby

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014R5XIDY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Art in Fairfield Harbour

City/Region: Fairfield Harbour
State or Province: NC
Photos: RED TOP
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything with digital controls can only operate with pure sine wave power. Most of the inverters sold have square wave power output. There are some that have modified sine wave power what will work with most, but not all, digital controls.

Just bought a 12 volt input, 1000 watt, 110 Volt, modified sine wave output, unit from Walmart, shipped from their Hong Kong supplier, for use on Red Top. Since it is NOT marine rated, it must be kept dry. Price delivered was less than $50 to here in NC.

patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while but if my recollection is correct I secured my microwave with L brackets, however a good double sided tape might work as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: