City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimoii wrote:
I can't give you a specific year, only tell you about our 2008 Venture 23. This was a Fluid Marine boat and an actual Venture, not a Cape Cruiser. One reason to go with Ranger was our experience with Fluid Marine and the Venture.

Fluid Marine has nothing to do with Ranger Tugs. Fluid marine was an LLC which made the C Dory and Venture line a few years back.

Fluid Motion is the LLC which has made Ranger Tugs and Cutwater boats. There is no connection between the two companies.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
chimoii

State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Chimo
Photos: Chimo
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected. Thank you. Fortunately both seem to have made excellent boats.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: venture 23 water in cockpit Reply with quote

We are finally done with putting in water pump 1100 gph in v-berth area just in front of porta potty.There is room for a pump and if you cut a hole in bulkhead water from main salon will run into forward part of v-berth and the pump works great no more water

the pictures are in my album if someone knows how to import from same thanks

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one.

Nicely done. More room in there that I would think!

Now I have to ask where did you run the hose?
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: venture 23 Reply with quote

We ran the bilge exit hose under locker and then under the sink . A few inches from the sink drain on starboard side .I will take more pictures this week . Jim

Dr. Bob See you up in the St John's gathering
HalmerG76

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Wondering if I could revive this thread. I have an opportunity to purchase an otherwise lovely Venture 23 that appears to have water under the decking as mentioned in this thread. For those of you who still have this boat, would this keep you from buying it again? Have you found this to cause any permanent damage?
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a 23, but have surveyed (pro bono) a couple. There are "solutions' to water under the floor. Many are susceptible to this.

It would not stop me from buying the boat.
HalmerG76

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I don't have a 23, but have surveyed (pro bono) a couple. There are "solutions' to water under the floor. Many are susceptible to this.

It would not stop me from buying the boat.

Thank you, that makes me feel a bit better. So even if water was left there, under the floor for a period of years? Its not necessarily getting to the balsa core?
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as there are no screw holes in the balsa core, just water in-between the cockpit floor and inner hull should not cause any intrusion into the balsa--any more than leaving the boat in the water would. The fiberglass is a barrier (OK it is a semi permeable membrane, but the permeability is only a few mm at most. ...not thru the entire bottom or inner hull glass. This refers to blistering, not water in the core. C Dory are extremely rare to have blistering or osmosis. What I have seen is more a defect in bonding of the gel coat in a very few boats...It is obvious if present.
jep27

City/Region: New Haven
State or Province: VT
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Lunasa
Photos: Lunasa
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2007 Cape Cruiser/Venture 26'

Had been fine on this water issue .. until last fall when a big rain filled the cockpit and bilge pump failed.

Water (about an inch or so) seeped between the hull and cockpit floor -- and I didn't find out until this spring.

I have had a slantback built to keep any future water out.. and have installed 2 deck plates between the gas tanks (per consensus on the forums) -- and have all the 'surface water' out. The foam remains quite wet.

I am using a circulation fan as I am able.. and also putting small dishes of dehumidifying pellets in. Limited moisture being pulled out.. but not showing signs of more coming in either.

Does this sound like the major 'pull the floor up, pull out all foam and reinstall' type scenario -- or... any thoughts/reactions?

Thanks-- Jeff

forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had water in the cockpit but I did have some under the cabin floor. Turn out it was coming in from two sources. First was the improper sealing of the anchor locker. The second was from the Wallas exhaust port from side spray when going through choppy water. That was tough one to find as the side spray was going up the fitting over the top and down the flexible exhaust pipe into the boat. Made a deflector to divert the spray around the exhaust port opening that solved the problem. I took the fridge out and took it to Mayfield Lake to see if the water inlet to the head was leaking three different times. Never got a drop of water in the boat on a lake but always got water when out at Westport in the ocean. Finally figured it out.
Forrest
ATPNW

City/Region: Covington
Vessel Name: Fellowship
Photos: Fellowship
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this boat used, it already had two inspection ports when i bought it. 1 is right at the back of the cabin, as you walked through the door. The second is in the v-berth. I am in the process of removing the inspection ports and sealing them with epoxy. Can anyone can tell me what this blue stuff is? These first two pictures are from the v-birth inspection port, looking back towards the cabin/stern:

These next pictures are where a little concern arises. These are pictures of the cabin access port. With what appear to be the same blue material below it. You can see what looks like a few cut marks below the lip of the inspection port. I assume if they are cut marks they probably happened when cutting the hole for the inspection port.

I saw a liitle bit of moisture in those cut marks and am concerned there is rotten balsa beneath. I picked at the marks a little but was never able to see balsa or confirm that they were deep enough to get down to balsa (if there is any down there?).

So really my two questions are:
1. What is that blue stuff?
2. What is below the blue stuff?

Thanks
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2006 Cape Cruiser, so we have the same boat.
I had water under the cabin floor and so I cut an inspection port close to the cabin door. I was stunned to see some sort of purple-red material that was cracked and had water in the cracks, similar to what you see - only yours appears to be blue.

Maybe others that know for sure can chime in, but I think it is leftover resin that was poured into the void under the floor, before the floor was installed.

I think that this material was poured on top of the inner hull, perhaps for adhesion or extra rigidity of the floor, but that is just a guess. I don't think there is balsa under it, but just poured on top of the inner glass hull layer.

I solved (for the most part) the water ingress into this area by re-sealing the cockpit floor to aft cabin bulkhead seam. I also removed all the plastic plugs in the cockpit floor and the ones under the door on the inside of the cabin, and filling the holes with epoxy and glass.

I would not seal up the inspection ports, as they allow access to vacuum out any water that may find it's way into the area, and also allows a flow of air under to floor to aid in drying, if opened and a small fan blowing into one of the holes.

Chris

ATPNW

City/Region: Covington
Vessel Name: Fellowship
Photos: Fellowship
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC Rider wrote:
I have a 2006 Cape Cruiser, so we have the same boat.
I had water under the cabin floor and so I cut an inspection port close to the cabin door. I was stunned to see some sort of purple-red material that was cracked and had water in the cracks, similar to what you see - only yours appears to be blue.

Maybe others that know for sure can chime in, but I think it is leftover resin that was poured into the void under the floor, before the floor was installed.

I think that this material was poured on top of the inner hull, perhaps for adhesion or extra rigidity of the floor, but that is just a guess. I don't think there is balsa under it, but just poured on top of the inner glass hull layer.

I solved (for the most part) the water ingress into this area by re-sealing the cockpit floor to aft cabin bulkhead seam. I also removed all the plastic plugs in the cockpit floor and the ones under the door on the inside of the cabin, and filling the holes with epoxy and glass.

I would not seal up the inspection ports, as they allow access to vacuum out any water that may find it's way into the area, and also allows a flow of air under to floor to aid in drying, if opened and a small fan blowing into one of the holes.

Chris

Interesting yours is purple/red. I looked back through most of the photos on this thread and couldn’t find any pictures like mine. It feels very tough whatever it is.

As for the sealing, I meant that I was sealing up the exposed balsa from the inspection port cuts. The inspection ports are for sure staying 🙂
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Interesting yours is purple/red. I looked back through most of the photos on this thread and couldn’t find any pictures like mine. It feels very tough whatever it is

I looked for pictures also, yours are the first I have seen that are similar to what mine looks like. I will try and take a couple of pics and will post them on this thread. It does feel like very tough material.

Quote:
As for the sealing, I meant that I was sealing up the exposed balsa from the inspection port cuts. The inspection ports are for sure staying 🙂

Apologies for the misunderstanding, the pics seem to show the inspection hole edges already sealed, so I thought you meant the entire port hole....

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: