View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Anchoring without a Windlass Reply with quote

....Happy New Year Everyone...........Does anyone have any experience or tricks using the bow anchor without a windlass.I have a bow-roller on my C-Dory but no windlass..( yet )..,on my StarCraft Islander i allows just dropped a stern anchor. I would prefer dropping an anchor off the bow especially in a wind but wonder how difficult it would be retrieving the anchor. Thanks Tug
dutch123

City/Region: Prince George
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Reel Action
Photos: Reel Action
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy or make an anchor puller which consists of a one way device and a float. The unit is secured to the anchor line and you drive away using the drag from the float to allow the rode to flow through the puller then simply retrieve your rode after the anchor reaches the surface. There are a few designs depending if you use rope or chain rode. Good luck. Thumbs Up
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We anchored without a windlass for years with very little trouble. Always off the bow, never off the stern except when we did a stern tie to a shore point. Pulling up the anchor was usually pretty easy, even for an old fogy like me. If you think the anchor is caught or is hard to get up try cleating it off on the bow cleat then move the boat so you can pull from another direction, that always worked for us. sometimes if it was really hard to get up, we cleated it off and drove the boat slowly forward using it to free the anchor.

We've never used the anchor puller Dutch is talking about but many people do and they seem to work.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tug-

There are several threads on the anchor puller concept that Dutch describes in the Anchoring forum in the library.

Here's one: Pulling anchor w/ bouy

Cheap and Easy!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Tortuga

City/Region: Ventura
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Photos: Tortuga
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tug,

I've never had a windlass on any of the boats I've owned -- most of which were bigger than the C-dory. The trick is patience. Always anchor off the bow -- setting is easy (of course). To retrieve, I just motor slowly over the anchor, and then slowly pull up the rode until it is taut. Then, tie off the rode on the bow cleat, and let the motion of the boat slowly disengage the anchor.

Depending on the wind and swell this can take a while. But, by letting the boat take the weight you save your back. Then, once it pulls loose, you can simply pull up the anchor and secure.

Sometimes, as Colobear suggested, you'll need to reposition the boat to get over the anchor. This all goes a lot easier if there is someone else at the helm, but I usually do it myself. And, I'm not a big guy.

Windlass would be a lot easier -- but the old fashioned way has never let me down. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Matt

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutch123 wrote:
You can buy or make an anchor puller which consists of a one way device and a float. The unit is secured to the anchor line and you drive away using the drag from the float to allow the rode to flow through the puller then simply retrieve your rode after the anchor reaches the surface. There are a few designs depending if you use rope or chain rode. Good luck. Thumbs Up

I use this system and it works well. The only thing that stinks about it is that you need to be careful not to foul your prop, it is also difficult to get all that line in (I anchor at 300 feet sometimes) if it is windy without a person at the helm to keep everything straight. Overall, it is simple, cheap, and works just fine if you don't want to shell out the bucks for a windlass.
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good practical ideas..as i usually fish alone i was concerned about retrieving the anchor and falling off the bow of the boat.That bouy anchor retrieval system sounds promising and what Matt said makes alot of sense, tieing the anchor rope to a cleat and using the boats power or momentum to break the anchor.That should save some wear and tear on my back.Are there any concerns about the anchor hitting or scrapping the fibreglass and causing damage. Thanks Tug
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As TR Bauer does, we anchor in up to 300' of water using 600' of rode. We pull it with a buoy snapped onto the rode and use the boat to pull it up. The rode is always over the bow.
You NEVER....NEVER...NEVER..want to tie it off anywhere other than the bow cleat over the roller. NEVER..NEVER tie it to a rear cleat and try to pull it with the boat. That is a sure plan for sinking your boat and where we fish losing your life.
Do a vector diagram on that set-up and it will show you how the boat will go straight up in the air and then sink backwards into the water. Not a pretty picture in 45F water.

Be extra careful to not run over the rode when pulling as it will tangle in the prop. and if the anchor is still set now you will be anchored backward by the lower unit.

Boating/anchoring is a serious thing and your head must be clear and in gear when dealing with anchor pulling.

I have a dedicated razor sharp knife in a sheath very handy
to cut the line if things should go wrong. So far in 28 yrs I have never had to use it but it is there just in case.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
mjsiega

City/Region: NYC
State or Province: NY
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutch123 wrote:

There's a video of this on Youtube, if you search "anchor retrieval". I didn't really understand how this was done till I seen the video. The float stays stationary, as you drive away you make the pull on the anchor line more and more vertical till it brakes free, the line meanwhile runs though a ring that is attached to short length of line that is connected to the float.

-Mark
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also anchored for 30 some years without a windlass with boats up to 45 feet (but for the most part they were sailboats which had some hefty winches which could be used on anchor rodes). One thing I learned early is to let the bouyancy of the boat pull out the anchor--even with a windlass.

As for actually pulling up over the roller--be sure and be sitting down and pulling straight back, rather than leaning over. I am sure that my bad back is related to years of pulling anchors without a windlass. Be careful with anchors.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack in Alaska wrote:
As TR Bauer does, we anchor in up to 300' of water using 600' of rode. We pull it with a buoy snapped onto the rode and use the boat to pull it up. The rode is always over the bow.
You NEVER....NEVER...NEVER..want to tie it off anywhere other than the bow cleat over the roller. NEVER..NEVER tie it to a rear cleat and try to pull it with the boat. That is a sure plan for sinking your boat and where we fish losing your life.
Do a vector diagram on that set-up and it will show you how the boat will go straight up in the air and then sink backwards into the water. Not a pretty picture in 45F water.

Be extra careful to not run over the rode when pulling as it will tangle in the prop. and if the anchor is still set now you will be anchored backward by the lower unit.

Boating/anchoring is a serious thing and your head must be clear and in gear when dealing with anchor pulling.

I have a dedicated razor sharp knife in a sheath very handy
to cut the line if things should go wrong. So far in 28 yrs I have never had to use it but it is there just in case.

X-2 Wink
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjsiega wrote:
dutch123 wrote:

There's a video of this on Youtube, if you search "anchor retrieval". I didn't really understand how this was done till I seen the video. The float stays stationary, as you drive away you make the pull on the anchor line more and more vertical till it brakes free, the line meanwhile runs though a ring that is attached to short length of line that is connected to the float.

-Mark

Here's the video:

Anchor Retrieval 101

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you’re fishing alone and in a tight windy area, the buoy pulling method is the way to go others have said. Use the buoy retrieval method than pull the anchors in from the cockpit, when you’re in a better location go forward and pull it in.

If you use ½” line it’s easy to pull, and you can store 600’ of ½” plus 30’ of ¼” chain in the bow.

On our 2 to 3 day summer cruises we just leave the line stacked on the bow with the 30 feet on chain on top, it never budges even in the rough stuff. Last pull of weekend we run it down through the pip or wait tell the boat is pulled out.

Sure going around to the bow can be risky, but if your alone there’s always the forward hatch access and you can actually pull in the anchor from there standing on the v-birth. Getting the anchor over and secured is the only time you need to lean over the bow, no getting around that unless you have a pivoting bow anchor roller....on my short list for next year.

BTY, have never used a buoy to pull anchor only for shrimp pots...maybe give it a try this year especially on the deep fishing sets.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often fish alone, and I anchor on most fishing trips. I don't anchor in 300 feet of water, even when cruising. It is usually 30 feet or less. I find that pulling the anchor from the hatch, standing on the V-berth works well. I don't worry about falling overboard, I have a good angle to pull from, and I am that much closer to the helm if I need to make make a correction. I first open the hatch, then start the engine and slowly take the pressure off of the rode. I put the engine in neutral and go forward and pull the anchor up into the roller.
I actually have two anchors on the bow. My main anchor in the roller, and a mushroom anchor in a plastic pail tied down behind the forward deck cleat. I use this anchor for most of my fishing. It is amazing how well this anchor holds as I usually anchor in current up to 4 knots, near shore, in water that is less than 20 feet deep.

Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
Connie Fisher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we live on the Mississippi River, my anchor line requirements usually do not exceed 30/50 feet.

There is not much problem walking around to the front of our 22’ Classic to pull the anchor, but pulling anchor on our 16’ Angler is something else.

I walked around to the front of the 16’ once and quickly realised this was not a safe thing to do.

That particular day being cold, windy with rollers and by myself, quickly convinced me to come up with some way to stay “in the boat” while pulling anchor.

The best arrangement I could come up with was to take an extra rope with an open loop tied in one end, the anchor line was fed through the open loop and tied to the bow cleat.

By pulling on this extra rope with a loop (which slides down the anchor rope as it comes back/up) pulls the anchor line safely back within reach.

Simple, maybe primitive but “safely” works for me.

Regards,

Ron Fisher
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: