The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bottom Paint
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Bottom Paint Reply with quote

Have been reading the numerous posts about bottom paint but still am unsure on what type i need for my ( new to me )1985 22 Angler Classic. The hull has never been bottom coated and i plan on leaving the boat moored ( fresh water/Great Lakes ) from May to October. I would like to get a bottom paint that would last a few years at least. Thanks Tug
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your best bet is to contact the local boat yards in that area that you are planning on mooring your boat as to the recommended paint for the type of marine growth you have in that area.

The will tell you that you first need to sand, apply an epoxy barrier coat and then the type of bottom paint and the number of coats to give you the protection for 2 years.

They will also provide you with a bank loan application so you can proceed with the project.

When you see their quote, you will be doing yourself a favor if you follow the material list and not scimp but save yourself a few dollars and provide the labor yourself.

Sounds like a spring time job to me.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Tug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike..good idea..thanks...i will get a written material list and estimate on what i need. I had planned on doing the bottom coating myself. The flat bottom should make it easier to block-up and remove the trailer. Have done this a few times with deep V bottom boats..( to repair and seal bottom rivits ) and always found it difficult to sucure and balance deep V hulls to the point where i felt comfortable crawling under. Thanks again. Tug
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tug-

The local yards will know what type of paint to use for the local conditions, which will include freshwater and, (I assume), pulling the boat for the frozen winter months.

Some paints loose their effectiveness when stored out of water, so shouldn't be used if that's the plan, unless instead of a two-year job, it's planned to paint annually in the spring.

Annual painting might be better, seeing as how fresh paint might be a lot more effective, depending on what your current environmental laws allow in terms of types of paint.

Although I don't have to deal with it where I'm at, it's my understanding that some of the more effective formulations have been modified or eliminated over the past decade or two, making it harder to get long-term paint jobs.

Again, as Mike notes, your local yards will know what to use and do.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be better off with no paint. I'm certain any store would love to sell some but see how other boats with out bottom paint fair. I'm skeptical of that stuff. Some of that paint is nasty toxic in order to do what it does. My concern is getting myself and kids exposed those ingredients. It may be different over your way with the Zebra mussels. I'd just be certain that you need it.

As Joe and Papillon say talk and ask around.

Chris
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Paint Reply with quote

There is a lot of info out there about bottom paint. The single best advice is to ask around in your area to see what others are using.

There are two types of paint..."hard" paint and "ablative" paint. The hard stuff is well...hard. The ablative paint 'sloughs off' with time/friction. I too never liked the idea of toxic paint sloughing off into the water plus hard paint is better for trailers. There are a number of sub varieties...some loose their effectiveness if removed from the water for example.

For the last decade I have used Pettit Unepoxy. I'm switching to the Unepoxy Plus this upcoming season as it offers a higher % of the cuprous oxide. I keep Napoleon in the water from the 2nd week of April to the last weekend in October. Even with a fresh coat of paint, she needs to be power washed about 2/3's the way through the season. The second season requires only a touch up. The third season requires an application of fresh paint over the entire bottom. I may continue to adjust my paint selection to higher cuprous oxide to try to find one that will truly last an entire season. You will find the cost of bottom paint is directly proportional to the level of cuprous oxide.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Tug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and all the information. I just called Pettit and they recommended Pettit Protect 4700 (Primer) and Pettit Vivid 1861 ( Black )for fresh water, but i think i will follow your advice and ask local boaters what they use and go from there. Thanks Tug
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey On spent a summer in the Great Lakes and here is what we found.

First, fresh water fouls a lot less than salt water. We had applied Micron CSC Antifouling Ablative Bottom Paint, which is ablative and can stand long periods out of the water. Second, the stuff that grew in the Great Lakes was easy to wipe off the bottom. Based on past experience with hard paint, I have one thought: don't use it. It builds up and then you have to grind it off. All of the good paint is expensive. Try the internet for sales.

As to painting the boat on the trailer, here's a few thoughts. First, if you have a roller trailer don't try to jack it up. The springs on the trailer just follow the boat up (for a while,) and you have to do a lot more jacking than you planned on. Just slide the boat back on the rollers, paint and then slide the boat back forward to get the missed spots.

Don't forget the epoxy barrier coat. There are a number of testimonials from people who never needed it, but it's a bear to put on afterward, and not too expensive.

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micron is one coating I would certainly consider. I am currently trying Vivid on my 18 Caracal. It is in Fresh water, but run in salt water, and occasionally trailered. Reports are good on the Vivid and it is a nice looking paint. Yes, do the epoxy. I assume that you will be leaving the boat in the water for at least several months at a time.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: bottom paint Reply with quote

When we moored our boat in Lake Washington back when we lived in Bellvue Wa we did not bottom paint at all . We would pull the boat out every 2 months and hose it off . I remember putting coats of wax on and growth was not a problem . We would keep our boat in the water from april -Dec. The boat was a 89 Seaswirl 230 Cordova Never a problem on lake Washington

Now the Great Lakes would be colder I think, so maybe try without paint wax the bottom and see how it goes then pull it out maybe once a month and clean it . Your resale will be better not bottom painting it especially being a trailerable boat, just my opinion and many Boat dealers as well.

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Tug

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea....I came across this product last night that i may consider trying...Easy on Bottom Wax.. by Marine Tex as a substitute for bottom paint in fresh waters.I also like the idea of not having to paint the bottom of the boat....i may try the wax and pull the boat out every month and clean the bottom and apply more wax if needed.Think the cost of the Bottom Wax is about $49.00...alot less than a good bottom coat. Has anyone tried or heard about this product by Marine Tex. Tug
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tug-

Wax is a good idea......... if it works for you where you are!

My only reservation would be how often it had to be applied. Monthly would be OK for a few months, but get old fast, for me at least!

What kind of a trailer to you have, bunks or rollers? How hard will it be to work around the bottom supports, then move the boat on the trailer to get to the missing areas?

Not trying to be disparaging, just realistic and up front.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Tug

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe.....good point...thats the only drawback, i have a bunk trailer with a one piece solid roller bar thats spans the entire width of ( at ) the transom, think the bar is encased in rubber.The boat just rolls off the trailer once it clears the bunks, makes access to the bottom more difficult.In the Spring i will see how difficult it will be to move the boat around on the trailer. What would happen if i just moored the boat as is...and cleaned it in the Fall..would the fiberglass be stained beyond repair. Tug
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tug,
dude, no paint works well if you don't mind paying $2,500 to $3,000 afterwards. left my boat in the water for 4 months, un-painted and what a surprise i received. 1000's of hostile 1/8" blisters. cost me 2800 for total restoration by washington marine. no warranty, however, c-dory did send me $500 to help offset the expense. (note, they had no obligation to do so, but viewed my loss and decided to extend a helping hand).
now i have the bottom painted every two years, whether it needs it or not. just freshly finished in oct. and looks great.
good luck
pat
1TUBERIDER

City/Region: Crescent City
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bottom painted boat parked on a yard will kill the grass under it while the paint is becoming less effective for its intended purpose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: