Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the belt-and-suspenders approach to navigation, but in answer to one of Cavu's questions: yes, modern GPS chartplotters take bearings every second and you can steer straight by their course. Was surprised to hear Blue-C's use of a magnetic mount for his compass -- doesn't the magnet affect the reading? Put my portable speakers on the dash too close to the compass one time and magnets threw it way off.

(Although I have a lousy sense of direction, I seem to always be able to find my way to the nearest pub!)

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iza just funnin you....had a friend that got messed up out in the fog off the mouth of the Columbia because he had a portable radio by his compass and didn't realize the impact it had on his compass
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I have a Furuno unit without mapping capability, but I thought they all worked the same. I believe they require the boat make some headway for a certain distance before they can compute which direction you are going? I usually experience several days of fog during my summer fishing trips and have found that it is not easy to steer a straight line in the fog. When I have tried to use the compass display on my GPS I find I am constantly "chasing" the arrow. You have to maintain a fairly constant heading to give the machine a chance to compute a direction. My real world experience with my GPS tells me this is very difficult without a compass to monitor my heading. I am not saying it can't be done, but without the compass I would make a much longer more crooked track.
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will always have a compass after reading this.
GPS shutdown
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
Iza just funnin you....

Yeah, he was just kidding about the magnet. He's real serious about his compass. He even drained the liquid out of it so it wouldn't move around so much.

I used the compass once in the fog to point out to my buddy (who is far more experienced on the water than me) that we were going the wrong way. Other than that time, I have not yet had to rely on it. I do look at it frequently just because it's cool, but I don't really understand all I know about using it.

Now let's hear from some of you old salts and sages a little lesson on calibrating, checking and maintaining the compass. Not just links to web sites, either - I got Google. Real world experience is so much more valuable.

As for my compass vs. my GPS.... Well, my compass is sitting right square between the wheel and the front window, and the GPS is off to the side. Before the boat goes back in the drink for another season, I am swapping the two around.

Thanks for the info, both posted and forthcoming.

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAVU wrote:
Tom, I have a Furuno unit without mapping capability, but I thought they all worked the same. I believe they require the boat make some headway for a certain distance before they can compute which direction you are going?

Yes - that is the case. Unless the boat is moving (RELATIVE TO THE SATELLITES), there is no way to compute direction. Hence, if one is at anchor, or otherwise disabled, the compass reading of the GPS is useless. I can imagine a circumstance in which I was drifting in the fog, and would want to know the direction something else was relative to me (like a fog horn or a buoy bell).

That said, I still only have a small handheld compass on board for emergency backup cases. I have a fixed mount GPS AND a handheld back-up unit. Ditto for the VHF radio. I also make sure that I have PLENTY of extra batteries for the handhelds (and that they are reasonably fresh - just re-stocked the boat). As a few have pointed out already, redundancy is a good thing. Yes, redundancy is a good thing Laughing . I have had my CD22 for 3 years and have been out on some very foggy days - haven't yet needed the compass but am glad it is there.

The URL provided by Fred/Robin (http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?id=2004121521290001739682&dt=20041215212900&w=APO&coview=)
discusses the possibility that the GPS system might get turned off during an attack on the US. That makes me think I should have a back-up compass. However, in practice, I've never been more than 2 miles from some shore (hope to change that this spring with some halibut adventures). My biggest fear to date in the fog is getting run down by a freighter. GPS, maps and compass won't help with that - radar would be nice but right now, can't justify the $'s. Hence, in fog, I stay well out of the shipping lanes or don't go out.

Roger on the
SeaDNA

Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

The GPS will still point you to the waypoint with a course and distance even if you are not moving. So if you set a waypoint near the bouy or light, you will know how far away and in what direction it lies and you can use a magnetic compass to determine direction until the boat is moving again.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Dan's post. Points out that some may leave shore without a compass (at least a mounted one) but then he relates a number of good reasons why he personally relies on that compass. I boat all over the Great Lakes in my 19 foot boat. I have two permanently mounted compasses in the boat. (3 1/2 inch direct read card at the helm and another 2 inch front read compass mounted on the dash where I can see it from the back of the cockpit when fishing and someone else is steering). I also have a mounted GPS and an extra handheld GPS and my pocket PC has GPS as well. My keychain has a compass and so does my tackle box. Guess I am easily confused, but I like to know what direction I am headed before I put it in gear, real foggy or unfamiliar waters at night, etc.

I was in the Coast Guard Auxilliary for a number of years and taught classes on navigation and compass. I have swung ship on my own boats and have done it in an amateurish way on other boats as well. I run a string from bow to exact midpoint on stern. Then I run another string parallel to that one through center of wheel, helm seat and compass. Used to run marked courses to swing ship but now use GPS.

A couple of other hints (borrowed from Chapmans or other books or experienced boaters over the years). When you buy a compass check it on the store counter. I don't care if it is off a couple of degrees as that can be adjusted. I bring my pocket knife or some other metal close to the compass and see how far it deflects and how fast it settles. Then remove the knife and see how fast it returns and how quickly it settles. You will see a variation in same compass from same manufacturers. Most compasses also have an opening to add fluid. Sometimes air bubbles will develop in a compass (although the better ones with rubber diaphrams seldom exhbit this) particularly if the boat is stored outside in Midwest winters for instance. The fluid is merely mineral oil. It make take a couple of times to open the screw hole, add oil, replace screw and check to see if all air is out, but it can be done.

I say 1. paper charts, 2. compass, 3. GPS on list of navigation essentials. The extent to which you can use and rely on the GPS-Chatplotter, etc., to replace the chart and compass depends on the quality and reliability of your GPS and your skill in using it. But keep at least a small scale paper chart and a $3.00 compass on board as well.
Bearh

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Snowdon
Photos: Snowdon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Amen. Reply with quote

Amen to the sentiment behind "Don't leave home without it" and beyond that, do what you need to know how to use it if you need it. GPS is good, but fallible in oh so many ways. Together with a compass, mighty good. Together with someone who knows how to use both well, mighty, mighty good.
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too like Dan's summary.

A postscript to the above comments;

A cruise ship hit rocks off the East Coast of the USA because the GPS antenna wire was damaged and the auto pilot couldn't tell that the GPS location had not updated.

Navigation occurs in the mind of the navigator. Be sure your mind is engaged and alert to the changing conditions.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a compass related tale.

We've got a second home in DownEast Maine, about 70 miles from the Canadian Border on Little Kennebec Bay. Great spot on the lower Bay of Fundy, 17 feet of tide, when it goes out, it goes waaaaaaay out Shocked . Lots of lobstering, scalloping, etc. Many friends with lobster boats, etc. A good friends son wanted a GPS and didn't know how to mount/use it so I negotiated a deal with him to trade cost for "lobster futures". At $2.75 a pound Razz , it was a good deal. He had a 34ft DownEast Hull Lobster boat with a Cat Diesel, nice stable boat. When I got there to install the GPS, he asked me if I knew anything about compasses Question .

What's to know, I thought. Only one moving part, no power unless they have illumination. Seems he'd been navigating without one because he couldn't get it to behave correctly, always pointed SE no matter what direction he was going Disgust . Amazing that he was even alive given the fog conditions on the coast of Maine and that he'd been fishing for a couple of years, sometimes single handed.

Anyway, I got down there to mount the GPS and noted the compass (pointing to SE, just as he said) just forward of the helm on the stbd side. I also noted some black boxes on either side of the compass. When I enquired as to the function of the black boxes, he turned on the stereo and showed me that they were speakers. Smile

I moved them over to the port side of the boat and the compass immediately swung over to NE which is where it should have been pointing. "Dagnabbit" he said (or words to that effect), why'd it do that? I explained about magnetism and how a magnetic compass worked. Finally got through.

Installed the GPS, trained him for a couple of hours, (retrained him each summer since too) and he was a happy camper Very Happy .

Sally and I were too, the GPS cost me $350 which bought me 100# plus in lobsters over the next couple of years. Couldn't bring myself to charge him anything for installation or training. He's now a competent navigator, can come in and out during fog without endangering his life. His Mom and Dad were happy too!

A compass is important! Understand how it works and how to use it!!!! Laughing

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: install a backup Reply with quote

I have been looking for compass, magnetic, the will mount overhead, and read from the side closest to the helm seat. Wondering if anybody has any recommendations for a good compass that will fit that application? I am wanting to install a backup to my fluxgate electronic compass.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ppriest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concluded, after a couple of disconcerting episodes, that it was well worth the time to sit down and figure out the sources of all the various types of information displayed on my chart plotter AND how it is that I might detect failure of any of those sources. The Raymarine system actually reports some of those (ex., Loss of Heading, etc.) although it's not always obvious what the true source is. More important, still, is having the means to determine the significance of that loss and, if necessary, to be able to substitute some other source.
I now routinely set the electronic (flux-gate) compass to display increments of deviation from the selected compass heading at every change of course heading even though the plotter is set to display compass heading and cross-track error. I use the e-compass for maintaining (and corrrecting) heading and the chart display for current position and potential conflict (radar) information.
The GPS-derived heading info on the chart plotter responds too slowly to be of much use for holding a heading especially at low speeds.
And I have a magnetic compass mounted close to line-of-sight behind the e-compass as a secondary reference when visibility outside becomes questionable.
So far, so good; until someone offers a better scheme.

Paul Priest
J.C.Lately
Sequim, WA
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: install a backup Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
I have been looking for compass, magnetic, the will mount overhead, and read from the side closest to the helm seat. Wondering if anybody has any recommendations for a good compass that will fit that application? I am wanting to install a backup to my fluxgate electronic compass.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

HARVEY-

Veeeerrry Interesting!

!. Most of the magnetic compasses large and accurate enough to use in a boat are designed to be either looked down upon (flush mount, surface mount, or binnacle mount) or are designed to dash mount on a vertical surface. I don't know of any upside-down models.......(?) You could use a dash mount in a custom mount hanging from the ceiling, but....... (read on below)

2. In any case, you need to be behind the compass to read it accurately, at least to get the same numbers your flux gate will be giving you. The compass card stays "fixed" in the earth's magnetic field as the boat changes headings and rotates about it. You'd have to put it in front of yourself, and in a position to impair your visual field in a C-Dory cabin.

What to do?

If I were racing a sailboat, I'd put it out in front of my visual field on the cabin trunk in front of the helm, so I could read it with as little visual deviation as possible from my course underway. This however, on the CD, would entail putting a compass in a housing mounted on the trunk directly in from of the starboard helm window, and far enough out to be free of the magnetic field of the permanent magnet DC windshield wiper motor(s). (A plastic or even a truly non-magnetic stainless steel bowl turned upside down works great.) You'd also have to provide a cover for the compass when it wasn't in use to protect it from sunlight, etc. (Would look cool at night with red LED lighting.)

Wait a minute! This is getting complic.....Smile

KISS Principle rescue me! Cry

Joe. Laughing Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: