The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Regelcoating the cockpit deck.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Regelcoating the cockpit deck. Reply with quote

Ok hopefully this'll grab Thataway's, or oldgrowth's attention. Smile Since I know they have alot of experience in this area. But anyone's tips or thoughts would be appreciated. So I've finished doing all my repairs of the deck and am ready to put a new coat of gray gelcoat on the cockpit floor(old one wearing down anyway) I was planning on prepping the deck by sanding lightly to increase adhesion, cleaning thoroughly and the possibly going over the deck once with a quick wipe of styrene to reactivate older gelcaot a bit, everything taped off of course. Now here are my questions:

1. To get my gelcoat to stand up a bit from being rolled on do I need to thicken it first, or on a fairly light coat will it stand up a bit on its own?
2. I have some factory gray for the floor, but it is unthickened and surely doesn't have a patching agent, I was planning on going the patching agent route rather than trying to cover the whole area with plastic, hoping to retain better non skid by doing so... I have some other gelcoat that comes with the patching agent and so far it has been pretty easy to work with, am I better going with something like that and just matching the color or trying to add thickener, patching agent, and possibly more color if ineeded to what cdory gave me?

Any advice on roller choice, use of styrene, and generally just any help or thoughts on the process would be greatly appreciated.

Sark
1TUBERIDER

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sark I did not know the cockpit has gel coat. I see an awful lot of weave which does not look like a gel coat finish. I also have a spatter type of paint finish below the gunnel that goes to the gray deck color. All the smooth shiny surfaces on the rest of the boat is gel coat.

The grey finish looks like a paint with a texture grit added in for grip.

I could be completely wrong, but paint for the cockpit floor would be my choice and it is a lot easier to apply and have good results. Gel coat is so temperature sensitive and it has been to cold to set off resin lately unless you have a controlled environment.

ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paint is a whole lot easier to both apply and maintain. I figure to roll on a coat every couple of years as there is a lot of wear and tear on the floor. One can get interlux deck coat and shake it up and roll it on. Easy George
Cutty Sark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got her in a climate controlled warehouse, it's kept at about 70 dgrees on the thermostat but feels a bit warmer due to the circulation, I can turn it up if needed but that temp has been working so far for the gelcoat repair I have done. I'm pretty sure I've asked before and the grey on the cockpit floor is gelcoat, it's just rolled on instead of sprayed. I had to replace a small piece of the core and when contacted for balsa even sea sport said the gelcoat was hand painted on the floor. Thataway did the same thing on Frequent Sea when he replaced the deck I believe. I did think about a two part paint, but they do not wear as well, seems like I've I've read they have about half the life of a gelcoat. The old grey gelcoat actually is still in decent shape. So it obviously wore well. Plus I've been doing some minor gelcoat repairs and have found the process fun to learn and not as hard as I had figured.

Sark
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1TUBERIDER wrote:

The grey finish looks like a paint with a texture grit added in for grip.

That grey splattered finsh is Zolatone, a textured mixture of two different types of paints designed for not only covering, but also for adding grip to a surface and hiding imperfections in the finish, as you can't see bumps, uneven surfaces, and even cloth weave because of the various splattered colors.

Originally it was a mixture of lacquer and enamel stirred together and sprayed, but modern regulations regarding volatile chemicals and spraying paint have probably changed that.

Another alternative would be to spray the cockpit floor with a pick-up truck bed spray liner, discussed somewhere on this site before.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Cutty Sark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait ...I thought just the white on the inside of the hull with the splattered paint was zolatone not the grey deck. I have a can of grey from the factory and I'm almost positive it's gelcoat(though I haven't opened it). In fact I asked about it here when I bought my 22 and I swear it was confirmed it was gelcoat not paint. Crook

I'll look closer tonight. But again I'm pretty sure the guy at Seasport told me it was gelcoat hand painted.

Sark
RonJr

City/Region: Olympia
Photos: Beagle
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sark
I used 2 coats of Durabak paint on mine.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In many cases I might say to use two part LP paint, and that is what I have done on boats which I have restored. This included mixing glass micro beads as non skid agent, in the first coat to be rolled on, then the second coat with no microbeads. This is applied over the diamond non skid and works well.

But in this case, where the interior of the cockpit is probably grey gel coat, I would stick with gelcoat. BE SURE that the Gel Coat has a SURFACING agent (wax to occlude the air for curing)--or you will have to spray on wax or PVA. (There are other ways to occlude air, but not on an open rolled on gel coat.)

What we did on the C Dory 25 cockpit was to thicken the gel coat (with surfacing agent) with silica to a modest consistancy, and then roll it on, which gave it a good non skid surface. It worked very well. The cabin floor in our C Dory 25 had a similar finish, but it was too agressive. I suspect that it was thickened too much, and that perhaps an open mesh (like the green pads) roller was used. We used a moderate nap roller (where for a smooth finish we would use a fine foam roller).

The rolled on gel coat should last the full life of the boat. I think that just cleaning the deck well, running acetone over it should be sufficient. I don't see need for styrene in this application.

Over all, I suspect that rolling out the entire cockpit will be better than just patching--there will be a better color match and non skid appearance.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutty Sark wrote:
Wait ...I thought just the white on the inside of the hull with the splattered paint was zolatone not the grey deck. I have a can of grey from the factory and I'm almost positive it's gelcoat(though I haven't opened it). In fact I asked about it here when I bought my 22 and I swear it was confirmed it was gelcoat not paint. Crook

I'll look closer tonight. But again I'm pretty sure the guy at Seasport told me it was gelcoat hand painted.

Sark

You're right, the splattered, multi-colored stuff is usually Zolatone, and solid grey shiny stuff may be gel-coat or even more likely a polyester paint, since get-coat won't cure when open to the air (oxygen).

But we've also been through at least three manufacturers of C-Dorys to date and are starting out fresh with the fourth, SeaSport, so things may have been done differently in different eras.

They used to use a lot of Zolatone in boat interiors, but at least for small operations, where they finish one boat at a time, the clean up for the spray equipment takes a lot of time and is inefficient, so many small manufacturers have gone to paining the interiors of hulls by hand with polyester paint or some other alternative.

I don't think any paint you have in a can will be gel-coat, as it requires the addition of a catalyst as well as the control of the oxygen, but it all works out well in a mold where subsequent layers of glass and resin shut out the oxygen which inhibits curing.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
rogerar

City/Region: SW FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Duck
Photos: Duck
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epoxy garage floor coating will work, and hopefully is cheaper than truck bed liner. I've done 2 boats with Rustoleum brand, it's great-Non Toxic 2 part water based Epoxy, very durable, comes with paint chip nonskid in the kit. Available @ Lowe's.
Roger
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerar wrote:
Epoxy garage floor coating will work, and hopefully is cheaper than truck bed liner. I've done 2 boats with Rustoleum brand, it's great-Non Toxic 2 part water based Epoxy, very durable, comes with paint chip nonskid in the kit. Available @ Lowe's.
Roger

Roger-

Good choice!

I used this exact paint on my Avon Rover 280 Inflatable on the floorboards, transom, and oars. It's a good choice, though not as tough as a true 2-part epoxy or truck bed liner. But for the price, you can paint it several times and still come out way ahead!

The absolute best would be a two part polyurethane, which would be so flexible and tough you could use the floor as a bowling alley, though it would be a little short (!). Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Cutty Sark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I spent the weekend on the boat, prepping the floor etc.. I did open the can of grey that Cdory gave me and stirred it with a stick, and let the stick dry to see if it was a paint. Well it never cured so I'm guessing it's gelcoat, it smells kinda like the other gelcoat that I have but I'm no expert. I guess it could still be a two part paint but I doubt it. I also did some more research on redoing the floor, and I still think I'm going to stick with gelcoat.

Sark
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a pint can of the grey, cockpit covering. The factory sent it to me a couple years back. They told me I would have to go to Tap Plastics or another outlet as they couldn't ship the hardener with it. But I don't think it is gelcoat. Seems like it is a two part paint.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloyds wrote:
I too have a pint can of the grey, cockpit covering. The factory sent it to me a couple years back. They told me I would have to go to Tap Plastics or another outlet as they couldn't ship the hardener with it. But I don't think it is gelcoat. Seems like it is a two part paint.

If it were a two part paint (epoxy), I believe they could ship it.

It's the MEK Peroxide that's strictly regulated; it's a very strong oxidizer, and is used to set off polyester resins and gel coats.

What does it smell like? The polyester products and epoxies have very different tell-tale odors, though I can't describe them sufficiently to differentiate them here. You'll know the difference if you've worked with either of them very much.

One thing I would definitely do before applying the paint: Try it out on something disposable on a test run to be sure it sets up right and you've got the right proportions of hardener to gel coat or part A to B.

Gel coat and other polyester resins have to have wax added to them to set up in the presence of air (oxygen). Plain gel-coat without wax must be covered with wax paper or saran wrap or something similar to set up hard. If it's gel coat, it probably has the wax agent already added, but just to be sure ......... nothing worse than a boat covered in non hardening gooey resin...! This is not a problem with epoxies, though you can get a gooey mess if the proportions are off quite a bit!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like I remember "mek" being mentioned. Must be expoxy then. The non skid is in good shape, mostly the paint has peeled on the port and starboard sides so I am going to get some two part paint, at least that is the preference at this point.Although the bedliner is an intriguing idea I hadn't thought of before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: