The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

smart/trickle charger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CheckRaise

City/Region: Kingston, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CheckRaise
Photos: CheckRaise
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: smart/trickle charger Reply with quote

Has anyone installed an aftermarket one? I'd be interested in any recommendations.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Minn Kota MK-210 on board charger. They are three stage fully automatic chargers and the 210 is set up for 2 batteries, 5 amps each maximum. Waterproof, built like a tank, made for wet bass boat environments. They're OK for true AGM batteries and lead/acid batteries but not the older gel cell types. Built in isolators and enough led's to keep any nerd happy.
Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: smart/trickle charger Reply with quote

I went to Schucks Auto Parts and spent all of $30 on a tiny automotive trickle charger. It has a mounting bracket that slides under the starboard battery. Likewise, our "shore power" is an orange three-wire extension cord that goes to a computer power strip behind the helm seat. The charger and the "shore power" are both connected to a short three outlet dealie which is sort of tucked in under the gunwale by the starboard lazerette. I keep it plugged in at home via a regular outside 3 wire extension cord, with the battery switch in the "both" position. We also carry a 50 foot three wire extension cord with the plug end replaced with a 30 amp plug that works at marinas and RV parks. Have been using this setup since we bought our boat, it is still working and no problems...I am sure the riggers at C-Dory cringe when they see this - and Les would probably have a stroke - but it seems to completely fulfill our requirements.

hansvillian wrote:
Has anyone installed an aftermarket one? I'd be interested in any recommendations.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Pat.... I can see Les cringing and flinching all the over here in Bama on that one... Mr. Green But, once Les puts it in and wires you up... I don't think there will be any surprises or injuries...fires, shocking experiences... Xmas Eek Xmas Eek Smile ... My luck ran out on "Mr. Tricity" many years back when I went to help my mother of 6 who was out cutting a patch of grass by the side porch with her "NICE" little electric lawn mower for "her grass area.."... Mr. Tricity treated me to 3 trips to the ground prior to me slowly getting up the 3rd time and realizing those little red ball jet tennis shows my mother so proudly wore had something to to with it and me being bare footed as always in the spring and summer.. Then, Mr. Lightening has visited me a couple of occasions too. Smile Smile So, you will see me being VERY careful around that fire coming thru them cables....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: