localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering getting a Standard Horizon GX2150 VHF, so I've been looking at cost. Defender.com currently has them for $360.99 and SH is offering a $50 rebate on units purchases from 8-1-13 through 12-31-13.

Best deal I could find on the web. FYI.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great unit, you will enjoy it.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great radio! I purchased one in January at the SBS. Check J&G Marine in Tacoma (253-572-4217) as for the Ken (the owner). I paid $329 ($279) after rebate. Maybe he will still honor that price.
1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

I have been very happy with the SH GTX 2150 since I got it. It is an excellent preforming radio, with good accessory function (hailer and fog capability) and comes in either of your 2 favorite marine electronics colors (black or white).

It will require GPS input for the AIS receive function but you will be able to do that I'm sure.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

potomac_brat

City/Region: Virginia
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here on the east coast I always check with BOE marine and have made many purchases with them. no affiliation.

here is the link to the site with. the radio being mentioned add to cart to get the MAP price

http://www.boemarine.com/standard-horizon-gx2150b-class-d-25w-matrix-ais-map-399-99/
[/url]
Walldog

City/Region: Port Isabel
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Vessel Name: Willie's Tug
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see I am crossing Wasp Passage. I think I will go below and make a sandwich. Maybe I should turn my AIS on to transmit. Maybe the Hyak will see me and change course to avoid hitting me.

Clutter is not a problem. I wish everyone transmitted AIS. Especially the motoring sailboat that I have on radar in the fog. Is he coming or going? AIS tells me instantly. Radar with Marpa takes a couple of steps to find out.

Any commercial vessels I have talked to tell me that they appreciate being able to see me on AIS. I have used AIS for over 2 years now. We installed it in Houston after traveling 350 miles up the ICW from Brownsville in less than ideal conditions. A tug Captain advised me to get it and use it. Radar on the ICW does not give you much indication as the channel curves. AIS lets you see targets around corners. Tow operators like the heads up that AIS gives over radar. They do not care that I am only a 30 foot boat, it would still ruin their day to run over me. Ask the captain of the Hyak.

As long as it is legal to use, I will transmit AIS on any vessel I own.

Port Isabel TX/Ballard WA
http://walldogsjourneys.blogspot.com
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the pin and ordered one. Luckily, I waited; the price @ Defender went down to $342! Cool Thumbs Up
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the Standard Horizon 2150 for nearly 2 years and love it. It provides AIS to my C-120 RayMarine plotter and I have been using it almost every time the boat is out on the water. After the last trip, with as much fog as there was, it called for frequent and careful technical navigation and the AIS was a major portion of that.

With the AIS, I get the name and MMSI number, and more important, the direction of travel, closest point of approach and time to that event. Anything within half a mile and 5 minutes, I call and confirm they have me on their radar. On a couple of occasions, I have been told that they cannot see me .... on their AIS. "No Skipper, check your radar, I'm 1/2 mile at your 2 o'clock. Should be on your radar." "Oh, yes, we have you now." because they are looking first to AIS and then radar.

After several of these conversations, and one 65 foot vessel I could not raise on the radio, but watched them as they approached, I was able to do a 90 turn and avoid, but still without any response to both the radio call on 16, 13 and 11 and on the MMSI call with no response, I watched it pass with a big open array radar running, and could not see anybody on the bridge I really wonder about who runs what out there.

Radar is a huge adjunct there, but it only gives you spots. AIS gives you names and numbers, instantly. Radar can do MARPA but it takes several steps. AIS takes a slide of the cursor and a button click. So, the AIS receive is good, but Active AIS is better and I think it is where I am looking to go. It may be a while, but I think it will be worth it.

Active AIS for recreational vessels is AIS B. It outputs the signal less often, but other than that it is the same signal but at a lower output wattage - 2 vs 12 or 25. Sounds like it is time to start some new research.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the Standard Horizon 2150 for nearly 2 years and love it. It provides AIS to my C-120 RayMarine plotter and I have been using it almost every time the boat is out on the water. After the last trip, with as much fog as there was, it called for frequent and careful technical navigation and the AIS was a major portion of that.

With the AIS, I get the name and MMSI number, and more important, the direction of travel, closest point of approach and time to that event. Anything within half a mile and 5 minutes, I call and confirm they have me on their radar. On a couple of occasions, I have been told that they cannot see me .... on their AIS. "No Skipper, check your radar, I'm 1/2 mile at your 2 o'clock. Should be on your radar." "Oh, yes, we have you now." because they are looking first to AIS and then radar.

After several of these conversations, and one 65 foot vessel I could not raise on the radio, but watched them as they approached, I was able to do a 90 turn and avoid, but still without any response to both the radio call on 16, 13 and 11 and on the MMSI call with no response, I watched it pass with a big open array radar running, and could not see anybody on the bridge I really wonder about who runs what out there.

Radar is a huge adjunct there, but it only gives you spots. AIS gives you names and numbers, instantly. Radar can do MARPA but it takes several steps. AIS takes a slide of the cursor and a button click. So, the AIS receive is good, but Active AIS is better and I think it is where I am looking to go. It may be a while, but I think it will be worth it.

Active AIS for recreational vessels is AIS B. It outputs the signal less often, but other than that it is the same signal but at a lower output wattage - 2 vs 12 or 25. Sounds like it is time to start some new research.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 2 full seasons with the Standard Horizon 2150, I am still loving it. I am currently looking at adding an active AIS (Watchmate Vision by Vespar Marine)

There has been some discussion about AIS and the 2150 on another thread. This is one of the comments:

"Thanks Bob, you have been very thorough. I do appreciate your help here. Without, I would have not had as effective system. I have been trying to avoid putting another antenna up. As it looks now, I am going to pull the splitter out from between the Ray218 VHF and AM/FM and put the 218 directly to the 8ft Commrod. Then put in the Vespar splitter between the Standard Horizon 2150 and the WatchMate AIS. That side will go to the Shakespeare 4ft that is mounted on a 24" riser, so I will continue to use a marine vhf tuned antenna there. The AM/FM will plug into the Vespar splitter on it's own dedicated bnc port and gets a receiver gain as well.

I have considered Putting the SH 2150 onto the Commrod to separate it totally from the AIS (I am using the AIS receive on it to go to the RayMarine Classic 120 - providing AIS contact points onto the plotter display.) It is also the radio I usually use for contacts other than on 16. This arrangement would eliminate the plotter AIS display pausing when the vhf is used or when the Watchmate AIS bursts are transmitted.

Another consideration: the Standard Horizon will see the active AIS transmitting from it's own position and on the same MMSI and will put that on the plotter as an AIS contact, and that will generate a "Dangerous Target" warning ..... constantly. NOT GOOD. So, the fix is in. Standard Horizon's newer 2150's have a setting to filter that signal from it's own MMSI out. [b]The Good Part
is that my (And currently any 2150 under 3 years old,) can be sent back to Standard Horizon, and they will put that filter in and activate it.

That little tidbit came from MartyK at Rodger's Marine in Portland.

So the radio has to come out and go for a trip, but it will be better for it."[/b]

Here is the link to the other thread:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=20861&highlight=

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed on Panbo a couple of weeks ago that there is a new Standard Horizon radio out (GX2200) that, if I skimmed correctly, is like the 2150 but also has GPS. Apparently it is now at the 2150's previous recommended price point and the 2150's price has been reduced.

Here is more about it:

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2013/12/standard_horizon_matrix_aisgps_and_raymarine_ray260_aisn2k_vhf_radios_.html
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
I noticed on Panbo a couple of weeks ago that there is a new Standard Horizon radio out (GX2200) that, if I skimmed correctly, is like the 2150 but also has GPS. Apparently it is now at the 2150's previous recommended price point and the 2150's price has been reduced.

Here is more about it:

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2013/12/standard_horizon_matrix_aisgps_and_raymarine_ray260_aisn2k_vhf_radios_.html

Nice. The 2100 and then the 2150 right behind were the first AIS, and the 2150 was introduced to provide a communication solution for those who had limited NMEA ports. About the same time Standard Horizon came out with a VHF that had a built in GPS. Great that they put them all into the same unit now. A friend of mine put in the GPS unit about the same time I was putting in the AIS receive unit,

Nice update. Thanks.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer, maybe I should have waited a few months before ordering... Would have been nice to have a gps backup in my VHF radio. Oh well I still think I got a pretty good deal for the GX2150, $289 minus a $50 rebate.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I missed it in this long thread somewhere but is there any VHF radio that has GPS and AIS along with the hailer/fog option? I see either GPS OR AIS but not both...

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Standard Horizon AIS GPS, Matrix GX2200, may not be available in the store yet…but soon. It is listed in the Defender Catalog, for $399. I believe it is available in January. Even if you get the radio with GPS, it is best to connect it to the chart potter to show the boat locations. The small screen on the radio is difficult for me to read.

There are a couple of NMEA 2000 or sea talk radios- From Garmin, Icom and RayMarine, which are plug and play to their compatible chart plotter or display. Garmin VHF 300 AIS, Icom IC-M506, Raymarine Ray260 Black Box
These do not have GPS, but plug and play to the chart plotter, makes it easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: