View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If YOU are pushing the red button, you only need one radio as you will have no attention left for chit-chat!

I have come to the same conclusion, that in an emergency, pick one radio for the 'red button push' and turn off the other one.

The actual annoyance factor will be if you are just cruising along and you receive a DSC emergency call. Then both radios will alarm and switch to 16. Having received several 'red button' calls from the Canadian Coast Guard I can say that that alarm is LOUD and WILL get your attention.

To silence the alarm on a Standard Horizon radio, just push any button. I think learning to push any button on both radios won't be that hard to do.

The problem with this alarm and auto channel change is that for some commercial operations, like docking a ship or barge, loss of the operating channel can and has resulted in the assist tugs not getting the proper commands from the pilot in a timely fashion. It may take a shipping disaster for the FCC or Coast Guard to realize that and require a feature to disable auto channel change, at least for commercial operations.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often the tug/pilot/Dock worker traffic is on handhelds--currently many of these do not have DSC. We also have at least two hand helds available at the helm--easy to turn one of these on when the radios alarm.

On the other hand, I have yet to hear a DSC distress call on the Gulf Coast.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Larry H

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I haven't heard one in US waters in the PNW, but I have heard several in Canada. The Canada Coast Guard uses the DSC alarm to notify boaters when there is someone in trouble and they need assistance. It sure can cause a 'brown trousers' moment the first time it happens. Mine sounds like a French ambulance siren.

I can report that the DSC alarm works, is loud, and gets every boaters attention if they have their DSC VHF on, even if the volume is turned down.
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pete,

If you are serious about that radio needing a good home, send me a PM.

Larry H,

I finally got around to searching for my old vhf. It was a SH Explorer2 (I had forgotten). This image is something I found online. It predates my 1st digital camera so I don't have any images I can upload.

This one is beat. Mine is pristine...perfect.

Here's the hitch, I can't find it. Rolling Eyes At first I was looking for a Standard Horizon box then I realized I may have never received the original packaging as it was installed by Marben back in '89. It may have been "mothballed" in a plain cardboard box which complicates the search. I'll keep trying...it's got to be around here somewhere.

BTW, I'm also running a Quest-X GX1500S. Great minds think alike, eh?

Larry H

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,

I appreciate the offer, but if it is that old, I think I will pass.

Perhaps you could give it to someone in exchange for them making a contribution to this site.

Thanks anyway.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Sure looking at this system Reply with quote

Just wondering if anybody has set up the Standard Horizon GTX 2l00 with a Raymarine C series and how it is working. I talked to a Electronics tech today who says he has put several of that combination together, and sells both. No discount on VHF, but he would do the install and make sure it works.

I'm thinking of not connecting it to the plotter, and using it as a stand alone AIS which has a nice function: Click on the AIS function, bring up the list on MMSI #'s and dial down through the list. Each click down, highlights the corresponding blip on the AIS screen. Pick the one you want, push the call button and they are "One button dialed".

Problem with that setup is that the VHF still needs GPS input. Need that to be sorted out I guess. If it is not connected to the plotter, GPS info must come from the GPS I guess.

The other option is to hook it up to the plotter and get the display on the plotter. Don't know if you can have both, the VHF display and the plotter display but it might be nice.

Sure looking at this system.

How have they been working? Any problems with the GTX2l00 and the C Series Raymarine? Or any body have it up and working great. Interested in some feedback here.

Thanks,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Larry H

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,

I don't have a Raymarine, but I have my GX2100 hooked up to my Furuno 32 GPS and to my computer running Coastal Explorer.

The AIS targets show up on the computer and on the radio and the AIS targets continue to show on the computer even if I do something else with the radio, (as long as the radio is on).

The GX2100 has four colored wires to receive the GPS, and output the AIS signals. The owners manual has a good section on the hookup to various other units.

It was quite a learning curve for me to get all this stuff working together, but now I have the following:

Two DSC VHF radios (one with AIS) connected to the GPS.

The AIS VHf radio connected to the computer.

The computer and the GPS connected to the auto pilot.

I haven't taken the boat out yet for sea trials, but all seems to be working at the dock.

It is pretty cool to see the AIS symbol for the Victoria clipper running at 28 knots move across the chart program on the computer screen.

Even under the shed roof at La Conner marina I am getting AIS signals from up to 15 miles away, even over some hills.
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: anybody with a C-Serieis Raymarine Reply with quote

Still hoping for anybody with a C-Series Raymarine and a Standard horizon GTX 2l00 with AIS working together to chime in here. How are they working together? How did the hookup go? What accessories were needed, if any?
Thanks,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
timflan

City/Region: Seattle
Vessel Name: Two Lucky Fish +1
Photos: Two Lucky Fish
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. I've finally "bitten the bullet" and acquired an NMEA multiplexer, but I have yet to install it. That should solve all my C-Series networking problems. I think. Smile
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

Let me know how it works out. We have one and it seems to be yet another item that has to be "programmed" via a laptop.

But ...It works.

Merv

hardee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, I have not considered a multiplexer, (due to cost) but it may be the only option. The electronics tech did not mention that he thought that would be necessary ........ yet Rolling Eyes

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want to revisit this thread too.

The "Is There AIS in the House" thread is here:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?p=180285#180285

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the topic...also looked over the "AIS in the house" topic.. We got our Standard Horizon AIS/VHF this summer and after a lot of wiring headaches got it working with our GPS
antenna , it has worked great... I don't see a need for the fancy stuff. It was my understanding that the CG and other authirities really didn't want the recreational boats having the Class A 2 way stuff because it would crowd the AIS system. Who knows, but we like what we got for sure. The only drawback for us is that our Furuno NavNet is far enough out of date that we can't integrate it with our radar/plotter display.

2004 C-Dory Skiff- Little Poit Dhubh
2005 C-Dory 25 Cruiser -sold 2103
2002- C-Dory 22 Cruiser- Sold 2005
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Still hoping for anybody with a C-Series Raymarine and a Standard horizon GTX 2l00 with AIS working together to chime in here. How are they working together? How did the hookup go? What accessories were needed, if any?

Seems maybe Tim Flanagan, and maybe some others, got to the Standard horizon house and they came up with a new take on the 2100. YEP IT'S A GX 2150. New version, according to SH is that it makes adjustment for the Baud rate differences (including the issues with RayMarine C series, and allows for the RM units not having several extra NMEA input ports.

Simply, they listened to the consumers and came up with a fix.

Rodgers Marine in Portland already has them on order, with "Boat Show" pricing. (The difference might pay for the trip to Portland.) and discounted instal fees too. They also come highly recommended by some of the area Brats.

Quote:
you should contact these folks......I would not be exagerating to say they know everything about marine electronics and won't jerk you around. They know what works and what doesn't and won't hesitate to sell you a system that may cost less but will work better for your application. A few minutes on the phone with Tim or Jan and they'll have set on the right course ( little auto pilot humor) +++ if you call them, the odds are Jan will be on the other end of the phone & she can outfish most of us

http://www.rodgersmarine.com/

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So OK, the fix is in. A Standard Horizon GX2150, and it is working nicely. Rogers Marine did a superb job, and included a switch between the 2 VHF's that points to the active choice for PA hailer and fog functions. Redundancy now for all 3 functions, VHF, hailer and fog. AIS receiver works like it is supposed to. Didn't get to try the one button DSC call function yet, and don't know how the radio sounds compared to the little Raymarine 54, but it worked good enough for the tow captain to hear, understand and talk back.

AIS ranges vary from one mile to 15. Show up on the chart plotter and/or radar display and now have DSC emergency calls show up positioned on the screen.

I can't say enough good about the Rogers Marine crew. Marty K, Jan, Marty B and the installers. All pro's, top of their game. Absolutely the best, and worth the 200 mile+ haul.

Rodgers Marine
503-287-3745
rodgersmarine.com
Portland. Oregon

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: