View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: New combination VHF radio, AIS reciever/Hailer Reply with quote

Standard Horizon has come out (not yet in the stores) a new VHF radio, with a Class D DSC reciever, and AIS reciever, VHF radio, Hailer combo with available use of RAM mikes.

I believe that this is the first combination AIS reciever, VHF radio combination, and it is going to be a winner at about $400. Granted, that there is no class B transmitter, for most of our uses, the AIS reciever will do the job.

So maybe that AIS is not that far off. I wonder when this is incorporated into their chart plotter? (There is NMEA output for any brand plotter).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it work with your standard VHF antenna? or does it need to be upgraded ?
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: more time (and $$$) Reply with quote

Huh oh, Admirable is not going to like the idea of another radio Embarassed Mr. Green

Thanks for the heads up Dr Bob. Now I'll need to see if my RM C-120 has any more room for input, or am I looking at another device (multiplexer read $$$) to get the signal into the system and usable.

Need more time (and $$$)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your chartplotter screen going to look like when everyone has AIS. There is going to be so much video clutter you will see nothing but AIS symbols and info. It will never happen now, buy there should have been a size limit on vessels that are authorized to carry AIS. Like over 65 ft.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually David it should look pretty much like it does now when you are running radar, which is when AIS on our size boat really pays off.
Unless your plotter comes up with all of the data instead if a simple boat symbol. On the Raymarine you have to put the cursor on a target to get the info.

I have not had any problems with clutter so far even in harbors where for some reason boats tied to the dock keep their transmitters on.
One problem I did have was when you are coming into a place like Friday Harbor it insists that all those boats sitting on the docks are "dangerous" targets so the first thing you have to do is turn off the alarms. (No good turning off the AIS beacause it remembers they were there Shocked

I tend to agree that in normal visibility and open ocean, there is little point in boats our size transmitting, which is why they are provided with a "stealth" switch.

There is also another switch (menu) which removes the AIS targets from the screen.

So far I have found it very useful in fog and in tight quarters where you can meet the odd ferry or tugboat & Tow just around the corner.

Even in relatively open waters it is also useful as it provides the equivalent of MARPA information without need for the radar so you can plan to miss that tanker while it is still 6 miles away.

Personally I find it is a great addition to boating safety and the new radio's now appearing with the ability to hail a target directly via DSC are particulalry useful.

Just my 2c worth

Merv

Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

I agree with you about too many AIS signals. Small boats should not transmit AIS unless the situation requires it, in my opinion. The ability to identify and contact large vessels directly however, is an important safety factor.

This radio is on my wish list as the AIS portion is receive-only and its screen displays the locations, MMSI numbers, etc. of sending AIS vessels so a chart plotter is not required.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This radio will work with the VHF antenna which you have now. I will be buying one when they are available. As Larry says, you can get the information on the radio LCD, but this is a fairly small screen. You have the option to displaying the data on your chart plotter or not. Again this might be a good reason for a second chart plotter.

So far there is no evidence that equipting many boats with AIS or similar beacons is a problem. Some SE Asia harbors require an identifier on every boat over a certain size (I think it is 7 meters or about 22 feet). There has also been some chatter about larger ships filtering out class "B" signals or by other criteria.

To me the beauty is several fold--the most obvious one is small boats which don't show up well on radar. Second is "around the bend"--this can be on the waterways, points or blind areas in harbors or straits. Also movements of fishing boats--especially netting or trawlers would be of real navigational value. Perhaps I am more attuned to this since I have been in some real life scenerios where it was critical to track multiple vessels, and then all of a sudden here is another ship on a direct collision course on visual or radar in the middle of the night in a crowded straight.
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I now have something on my XMAS wishlist. I have toyed with installing an AIS for a couple of months only so I can keep track of cruise ships, tour boats, ferries, tenders, and the like.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
K7MXE

City/Region: Eatonville
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Lois H
Photos: Lois H
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Ais Reply with quote

For those who want to see whats out there on AIS go to this site and you should be able to see real time AIS transmissions from just about everywhere. Have fun!

http://marinetraffic.com/ais/

Bob Heselberg Eatonville Wa
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great site, Bob. Our second-in-command can give us a heads-up concerning vessels along our intended cruise route each day, keep an eye on traffic along our intended course if necessary (as in fog, and can give an id for any vessels seen on our radar). Will be a nice assist when we're able to receive internet. And -- the cost is perfect. Thanks.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm, requirements for bass boats to transmit AIS when starter switch is hot. Now there is an idea. I love being able to see the barges "round the corners" on the river, and being able to contact them to coordinate passings has been a great asset.....

Those that know me realise I am not a make a law about everything...BUT... just think how much safer our inland waters would be if those 50-60-70-80+ mph bass boats had to have them too.

Yall come on down to a night bass tourney on the Cumberland River some night. You will have a much better appreciation for my thoughts here.

AIS is good.

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: for everybody's safety would be to limit the power Reply with quote

Maybe the best option for everybody's safety would be to limit the power on those bass boats to 25 or 30 HP, keeping everyone equal and safe. Mr. Green Twisted Evil Xmas Naughty

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks very cool. Right now I have an Icom IC-M422 connected via NMEA 0183 to a Raymarine C80. Could I simply take that radio out and put this one in? Would AIS targets show up on the C80? Would the power and antenna cables be the same?
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power and antenna hook up would be the same. The PL 259 which connects the antenna to the radio is the same. You might have to do some crimping on the power leads.

I cannot answer, about the NMEA sentensing to the RayMarine plotter until after these are available. However, I do have my Standard Horizon VHV radio coupled with my Standard Horizon chart plotter, and DSC targets show up, so the assumption is that it will work the same with the RayMarine via NMEA 0183 (I don't believe it is NMEA 2000 or sea talk). I suspect that the digital data will also be available on the Ray Marine. Definately the recent Garmins will work.
Tortuga

City/Region: Ventura
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Photos: Tortuga
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking seriously about getting AIS, if I can do it inexpensively. The unit Bob points out looks really interesting. I have no radar -- and no budget for radar. And, as I have no chart plotter (beyond my laptop and a great handheld Garmin), I can't buy an inexpensive receiver to network.

This unit seems to be an interesting compromise, with a receiver built-in to the VHF, and feeding a small display. If I understand the Standard Horizon website, the display identifies graphically where AIS transmitting vessels are in relation to you (me), as well as bearing, speed, and distance. That sounds like a neat, and inexpensive, package for a small boat on a budget.

So, my questions to everyone are these:

How does AIS do in real world applications in identifying the location of commercial vessels?

Does AIS replace Radar for identifying ship traffic?

It sounds too easy. What am I missing? What are the pros & cons of AIS for limited visibility navigation.

FYI -- Standard Horizon has info HERE.

Matt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: