The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

is the 22' right for me?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: ARG 101 Reply with quote

Hey it’s great to have you answer back to.
I make a lot of use out of my old propane Force-10. It actually heats the floor around it, with no fan down there. I have it very low in the cabin. As you may know the Force-10 uses no electricity, and is as quiet as a single-gas-burner with some nice warm glow to boot.
Maintenance has amounted to pulling off its base-assembly, removing and cleaning the jet… that’s it! I do this twice a year, since being in the “far north” I use it in summer to. For cooking purposes, we prefer to use a portable 2-buner camp stove. (LPG) (Them things are great performers) and the cook likes them! Going to switch to a new 2-burner electric this summer for the cooking, see if we like it better, since I always have my ‘gen along all the time anyway. I’ll post what I just picked up at my store (Costco) lol One could use it for a cabin heater to! Super compact and very efficient!
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Force 10 Cozy Cabin with forced air circulating fans and a three burner Wedgewood propane stove. The first provides tons of winter heating capacity and the second room to cook both in winter or summer without the Wallas delay or the summer overheat problem. I also installed Fire, Propane, and Carbon Monoxide alarms as well as a through roof vent for the cooking odors and heat. You can see the installation here:

There's loads of other discussion about these alternatives if you use the search engines.

Let me know if you have questions about my set up. Good Luck! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Bluecrab

City/Region: Chestertown, Maryland's Eastern Shore
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Lizzie Ann
Photos: Lizzie Ann
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each their own on the heater, I guess. I'm a right-coaster on the Chesapeake who really likes the Wallas. When I was looking at options, the dealer about had me convinced that over-heating from the Wallas stove would just be too much in our hot, humid summers. Answers to my queries on this pub convinced me otherwise, and I'm glad I got it.

We're still new at this, but used the Wallas this summer in July and August and didn't find that it a problem. As others pointed out, many folks use a grill off the back anyway. Used the heater over the last few weeks and was very comfortable. Given the ease of use, dealer installation, venting issues, and all the rest, the Wallas is pretty convenient! On the other hand, if you like to tinker and have the time, there are clearly other options that work equally well and may be cheaper.

John
on the Lizzie Ann
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased my 22' CD new at the factorywithout an engine in 1983. Towed it to Alaska and installed a 1 year old 115 Johnson that I had purchased for another purpose. The 22' handled the motor just fine and i ran it for 15 years. The only negative was from prop torque which rolled the boat to the side at higher speeds. That did not happen often as I had to keep the throttle back due to rough water.
I replaced the 115 with a 90 HP Honda. It actually handles the boat better than the old motor and the best thing is the Honda uses 1/3 the fuel to do the same work.
At the factory Mr. Toland (Marks dad), the boat designer, told me that he designed the 22' CD to cruise at 17 mph. I have driven my boat easily 3000 miles since I have owned it and 17 mph is right on for a comfortable ride in any kind of sea.
Anyone have a good deal on a late model 25' CD.???

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John -
Your observations about the Wallas and summer heating exactly match ours - no problem, front window and hatch open, bow to the breeze on an anchor, no sweatski. Of course, we're not in Key West in August. Also, like your conclusion that for those who like to tinker there could be cheaper (or even better) solutions.
By the way, you sure have a fine little town. We happened, by dumb luck, to land in Chestertown a few years back just in time for the Tea Party. Being a little boat, they could put us on the dock - at the very outside. What a treat! And your townsfolk were as nice and friendly as any we've met anywhere. When is the Tea Party in 2005? We might be able to get there again.

Bluecrab

City/Region: Chestertown, Maryland's Eastern Shore
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Lizzie Ann
Photos: Lizzie Ann
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice words about Chestertown, El and Bill. We like it too! The Tea Party is always at the end of May - I'll check with the town this week to see what the exact dates are and post them. For any in the area who are interested, it's a great little festival - you can check it out at:
http://www.chestertownteaparty.com/

If you can make it out here, by all means let us know. Would be great to meet up. And who knows, maybe some other C-Dory owners will feel like making it a party!

El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John -
Maybe you could organize a Chestertown Gathering for Chesapeake C-Dory folks? Hmmm -- how's that for winter musing, and volunteering someone else? Anyway, if it isn't too busy a time in your harbor, it might be a marvelous time to have a group together and enjoy the festivities of Chestertown. Hmmm ...
Bearh

City/Region: Annapolis
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Snowdon
Photos: Snowdon
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Count us in. Reply with quote

Count us in for a Chestertown rendezvous, if we're around. John, I was up your way this summer, as the relief mate on the skipjack "Sigsbee" out of Baltimore. El and Bill are right--Chestertown is as nice from the water as it is from land. I just looked at Snowdon, up on her lift--she's ready to go, anytime.
katie Marie III

City/Region: Stoney Creek Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: katie-marie III
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: new 22 Reply with quote

Tom, I too live on the Bay, directly across from you on the western side, on a clear day I can see your town . I am very seriously considering a 22. I have blue sunbrella on my bimin now, why unlucky? Is it Chessie? Anyhow< I visited Cutter Marine last week. They are getting ready for the boat show. Are you interested in going?
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Another heater option Reply with quote

Terraplane, do a google search for "NS-2800". This is a diesel heater made by TOYOTOMI. The same company that makes the KERO-SUN kerosene heaters. The NS-2800 is safely exhausted to the cabin exterior, cycles with a thermostat and allows you to pipe the hot air anywhere with two to four outlets. The V-birth and the floor are hard to heat with the wallas. For ventilation the blower can be ran without the heater. The wallas costs $2250. The Toyotomi costs $930 and seems worth consideration. Do another search for all-around-the-house. (with the dashes) They are one distributer I found. The NS-2700 would be nice also. When I inquired they said the NS-2800 would replace the NS-2700. I think the Origo stove for cooking and the Toyotomi for heat when needed would make a nice setup.
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terraplane-
Idea If you decide on a HONDA, you may want to consider their engine water guage option to monitor the engine's water pressure. I think it gives me a means of fine tuning the engine trim by maximizing the press. at any given speed as a side benefit. I believe it is abt a $ 50 option. If it saves one water pump.... from one of those 'plastic bag' mines that you can run into along this coastal bay area, it is well worth the investment.

I, too, went through what you are doing. I took a sea trial at Cutter on both the 22' & 25' CD. This may help you get the 'feel' for what you are trying to get into. I did and ended up with the CD25 and powered it here in Norfolk with 2x 90s.

I also went with the advise of this wonderful group and added the Wallas. I have used it when working with installation projects while on the dry storage work rack with 34 degrees outside and light shirt inside. I ditto all the remarks about it. There is much information on this site and on the C-Dogs site to be gleaned.

I have added some Aqua Matt decking to the main cabin floor and placed an indoor/outdoor carpet on top of it. This proved very comfortable on the feet. The left over pieces from the last box was placed in the aft bilge to give some cushion to my secondary anchor and rode. I guess this is just a 'red wheel' in the grand scheme of things, but it does seem to decrease the sound from the lower bay chop and minimizes any engine vibrations transmitted through the bottom, IMO.

Welcome to the CD world and if schedules match, I would like to show you the 25, Sea Angel, and the lower parts of this 'bay'. Maybe I, too, could make a run north in the spring for a gathering. It would be great to find another Norfolk/ Virginia Beach area CD; but, at last there are none, yet. If all the lookers at the local docks and marina are any indication this could change in a short while and then I could get more done on my projects..... This is NOT a complaint.... JUST a BRAG! I love this boat!
Love

73s

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Up date on "new 22" and options Reply with quote

Well, after all the input, i thought i'd post our latest description of the cd22 we would like to have...
Our wooden trawler is on the block, and with a good broker, so fingers crossed.

Here is where we stand right now.

CD 22, green, 90 honda, shore power and charger, two elec wipers, and one manual, no refrig...storage, extra interior lights and outlets, wallas stove/heater, floorboards in cockpit, barber chair, tall cabin option, swim platform, windlass..gypsy,600;, engine water gauge, camper back.

Whaddaya think?

tom/ terraplane
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, never seen 3 wipers on a CD 22. The don't put one on the center window (I don't think), particularly if the window opens for ventilation. I'd get that for sure! I think you'll find you spend most of your time looking out the window over the helm and your navigator out of the port side front one. Congratulations and Happy New Year.

charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

As you can see, this is a process of figuring out the situation. Thanks for the window comment.
Any other ideas. I forgot to list a second bilge pump to be included.

tom/terraplane
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom and Charlie,

I installed a third manual wiper on the center window of my 1991 22 cruiser. The pivot/handle is located at the upper right corner of the window. I had removed the shelf as I was always hitting my head on it.

In my opinion, it was worth the effort to install the wiper.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: