The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Canvas camper back
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the 2 partners split up one of them was supposed to not do canvas any more. He did my canvas through EQ on the QT (at least as far as his ex-partner was concerned.) I later found the ex-partner on the hill above Twin Bridges and the 2nd time I went back to see him he was closing his doors permanently, an early victim of the recession.

I think David McKibben has found someone else in Anacortes but I don't know if he was happy with their work.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a small Alaska curtain made for my 16. It was done by Churchill Bros on 'T' Street. Did a nice job using Sunbrella and 40# window material. $450. I had talked to Tradewinds which is next to WM in Anacortes and they wanted $950 and were going to use #30.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having one place come out and price a camper back for my TC255 (they gave me a quote of $5800+), I have decided to take matters into my own hands. Found a place on line, Marinepartdepot.com that's currently having a very good sale plus free shipping for the fittings needed. (Prices/free shipping good through today) Ordered all the fittings I needed (for 1" stainless tubing) for less than $200 and now will research 1" SS tubing for the frame. I'll get the bends done locally.

I intend to use my Taylor Bimini for a pattern and actually reuse that canvas for the first year of use. I'll use ideas I've found on the Brats site, primarily from Dr. John as I make the new top after next season.

I lost the bimini cover (zippered on, evidently not very securely) on the way down to the CBGT in Oriental last month. Will order a new one from Taylor to take me through next season. Any hints on design or construction would be appreciated..

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In poking around to find a new zipper cover, I went to iboats.com. They have a closeout on "bimini skins", just the fabric part for 32.99 each! They had Pacific Blue, which is what my Taylor cover is and I bought two of them as replacements. Since I'm building new frames, I can make them to fit these new covers and have a replacement for the future.

Not sure how long the sale lasts but the shipping was free too

I bought the 84-91" wide, 54" high and 8' long. This deal is perfect for someone that wants to make his own bimini/camperback. They say it's only for "Westland 4893 frames" but since I'm making a new frame out of 1" SS, I'll make the frame fit the top!

Charlie
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captains Cat wrote:
After having one place come out and price a camper back for my TC255 (they gave me a quote of $5800+)

I think you should keep looking -- I had the camperback made for my TC, with 2 sets of zip-in curtains (eisenglas and screen) for ~$3200, and that was in a much more robust economy, about 2008.

Warren
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Warren, places are limited down here. If I've got to install it, I'd like to make it. Already ordered the hardware and replacement tops. Now all I gotta do is get the 1" ss tubing and find someone that will bend it. I'll use the old frame as a template after I make sure the new top will fit the same frame. I'll take pix for those that might follow in my footsteps and try to avoid any mistakes I make.

Charlie
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oyster Creek canvas in Bellingham did mine. I couldn't be happier. Pictures in my album.

jd
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD,
Very nice. I agree with Peter's comment under one of your pictures that it looks like a product of the former "Canvas Riggers". Same as ours with the exception that ours does not extend out over the lazarettes.

C-Brat #16
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimrod wrote:
Oyster Creek canvas in Bellingham did mine. I couldn't be happier. Pictures in my album.

jd

Very nice JD. What is the "glass" made of? Is it permanant or replaceable with screen or solid "walls"? I like the little forward facing windows next to the cabin sides.

The TC255 has a nice square stern because of the Armstrong bracket so the back is a lot easier to fit/design/construct.

Charlie
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a huge specturm of quality of canvas work. A good worker will use Tanara thread (UV resistant gortex). SS bows, SS fittings, quality awning rails, free standing frame, so you can use it as a bimini with air flow in hot weather. Better zippers, highest quality material, binding of seams etc.

I had King make a unit for the 25 because I was in a hurry, and the quality was not what my local worker does.

Educate yourself on what are the best features-look at other ones, access, both from the sides and stern etc.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
nimrod

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

The "glass" is some type of vinyl, I believe. The construction was unique in that two sheets were laminated together. Greg at Oyster Cr. explained why this was preferred over single thickness, but his explanation escapes me.

The windows are permanently sewn into the canvas. My other half made curtains that can be attached to the inside for privacy. We don't have too many problems with bugs here so I wasn't concerned with being able to screen in the camperback.

jd
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
There is a huge specturm of quality of canvas work. A good worker will use Tanara thread (UV resistant gortex). SS bows, SS fittings, quality awning rails, free standing frame, so you can use it as a bimini with air flow in hot weather. Better zippers, highest quality material, binding of seams etc.

I had King make a unit for the 25 because I was in a hurry, and the quality was not what my local worker does.

Educate yourself on what are the best features-look at other ones, access, both from the sides and stern etc.

Thanks Bob, sage advice as always. Ecucation is what I'm after here, I intend to build all of the best features in as I do it.

JD, two sheets laminated together seems problematic as, if any moisture gets into there, it will quickly become non crystal clear. Maybe it's totally "fused" together so that won't happen though. Gets pretty hot here in the summer, I'll want screens or some capability to have air flow through there. Do your sides zip to the top at the edges?

Charlie
nimrod

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie, all the individual panels zip completely off.

jd
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captains Cat wrote:
Found a place on line, Marinepartdepot.com that's currently having a very good sale plus free shipping for the fittings needed. (Prices/free shipping good through today) Ordered all the fittings I needed (for 1" stainless tubing) for less than $200 and now will research 1" SS tubing for the frame. I'll get the bends done locally.

Charlie

The bimini hardware came today, and I'm very pleased. The fittings are very heavy, highly polished and look to be precise in their machining. It says that they are SS 316 so we'll see how they hold up. When I went back to the website to see about ordering some more stuff, I found that the "sale" that was supposedly over the day I ordered them (17 Oct), apparently extends day by day and was good through today.

I found a local place that will cut the 1" SS tubing using my aluminum frame as a template, so I'm good to go. Will take pix as I make the new bimini frame and report on those cheap bimini "skins" I ordered through iboats too. The parts came from marinepartdepot.com . Take a look, I think it's one heck of a deal they have going. I have no "interest" in that company other than to like what they sell and the price they sell them at.
nimrod

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another good place to get hardware is McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com). They have good selection of stainless items, are fast (especially west coast), and have fair pricing. I can usually find the hardware that Fisheries Supply, Defender, West Marine etc sells at McMaster-Carr.

jd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: