The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Safety Concern!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amy and karl

City/Region: Graham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-DAISY
Photos: C-DAISY
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Safety Concern!!! Reply with quote

Old topic new experience.

The screws that hold the brass stem guard in place are subject to pulling out of their holes. We found this out yesterday at Roche Harbor.

We had spent a night at Patos island and then two nights at Stuart island before going to Roche Harbor Friday morning. (By the way Prevost Harbor on Stuart is a great place to wait out S.E. - S.W. winds.) With no signs for concern to this point, we walked the girls up to the sculpture garden and then to the Mausoleum. Upon returning our runner on the cabin floor was soaked and Amy found water bubbling up through a stress crack near the porta potti. I immediately started opening the hatches we installed in the berth. We found alot of water under the berth. We were able to bail the water, maybe 15 gallons, with a Gatorade bottle. We assessed the situation and realized water was not gushing in. So we checked the weather one more time and made a b-line for Bellingham and got the boat on the trailer. Where we found the source of the water.

The lowest screw on the brass stem guard had pulled out completely. The screw hole is totally stripped. Here are a couple pictures.

We feel lucky that this happened when it did. We were relatively close to the trailer and we had not been away from the boat for very long. And this is an easy fix in my mind.

My question to those who know is what is the best way to fix this problem? I intend on correcting this problem on all the screwholes for the stem guard.

Thank you for your suggestions,

Karl and Crew on C-Daisy
DoryLvr

City/Region: Cape Charles
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Litl' Tug
Photos: Litl' Tug
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed mine were loose too about a month ago and have tightened them. There was no water intrusion like your case, but I wasn't thrilled to see the loose screws and the stem guard pulling away from the hull. I sealed it up with marine sealant. Mine weren't stripped.

"The art of seamanship is never allowing yourself to get in a situation where you have to know anything about the subject."
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had this problem early on but not to the extent you did. More of a slow weep. the factory fixed it for up. At the time they offered two fixes. One was to redo the brass strip as is and the other was to seal the strip and then cover the whole thing with a keel guard. i had then re do the brass becasue I like the look but if I was doing it my self I would go with the keel guard for easy of installation.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many others have done, after I'd owned my boat for a month I systematically pulled every exterior screw below the waterline and epoxy potted it. The brass stem guard had short screws and sealant so were probably fine but I like epoxy holding things together. Trim tab planes and rams also epoxied. Garboard drain tube also pulled and epoxied.

When and if I ever need to pull these screws one holds a soldering iron of the old style on the head till it heats up to about 140 degrees and voila the epoxy lets go.
In the meantime she's stuck good, dry bilge, dry v berth
Happy lad.
George
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Damn, Karl...glad it worked out safety-wise, and you and the family made it back to port. I was just contemplating this today when I saw DaveS (Sea Shift) had a white keel guard on his 22' and NOT the stock, factory brass one. One more thing to look at.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
I saw DaveS (Sea Shift) had a white keel guard on his 22' and NOT the stock, factory brass one. One more thing to look at.

We had the brass strip on our '99 16' Cruiser and had no problem with it. However, when we ordered the 22' new from EQ Marine I asked that the factory not install the brass keel guard and Les at EQ Marine installed the rubber keel guard instead. It offers more protection and is glued on, not screwed on.

C-Brat #16
Notayot

C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Notayot (sold 2/2018)
Photos: Notayot
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Keelguard (installed by Les at EQ) on Notayot, which covers all of the aforementioned screws on the stem. I have used Keelguard on the last two boats I've owned, more for impact and scuff resistance than for leak prevention, but I'll take that too. Some say it doesn't have the "salty look" but I like the security of impact resistance for the flotsam and jetsam that comes by.

City/Region: Danville
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sea Skipper
Photos: Sea Skipper
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a photo of a Les Lampman installed Keelguard. It is layered over the standard brass item. Notwithstanding the aesthetic, or lack thereof, it does provide an extra measure of protection against both internal screw failure and external impact and abrasion.

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: stem guard Reply with quote

If it was my boat I would pull that stem guard out and repoxy it and be done with it Get rid of any source of leaks Im glad the cape cruiser doesnt have one just my humble opinion
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about this and other like stories. Do you have to worry about a wet core (wood) when this happens? Or is the water riding up on top of fiberglass? Will the internal water eventually dry up?

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromer wrote:
Sorry to hear about this and other like stories. Do you have to worry about a wet core (wood) when this happens? Or is the water riding up on top of fiberglass? Will the internal water eventually dry up?

Chromer-

The balsa core is not on the very centerline of the boat, only on the sides, from a couple of inches or so off center and on up. The centerline of the boat is solid fiberglass, and the water would ride on top of it. Some minor water intrusion along glass fibers would take place, but this will dry olut if left open for a while before the epoxy is installed. No wet core problem.

Yes, it will eventually dry out if their inspection hatch is left open. I'd flush the salt out, however, then let it dry.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the trouble I had with my first C-Dory (Fishtales), I told the factory not to install the brass stem guard. I will be installing the KeelGuard instead.
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I'll remove it this winter, epoxy the holes and put on a KeelGuard; so far no water intrusion in the boat and I don't want to start now.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
Well, I think I'll remove it this winter, epoxy the holes and put on a KeelGuard; so far no water intrusion in the boat and I don't want to start now.

Yes!

The KISS Princiiple wins again!

(Not directed at anybody, just the idea!)
Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entire foreward area is not balsa cored (solid glass), so no worry there.

I would pull the entire stem guard, dry out the area; including washing well with fresh water. A shop vac hooked up to this area, can help get more water out. Heat will also help. After it is dry, drill out the holes, and counter sink the outer skin, then put in epoxy, with mill fibers, or short pieces of cloth into the old holes. Work the epoxy and fibers/Cabosil into the old holes with toothpicks. Then refair the seat for the brass strip, redrill pilot holes, and re-install the brass strip with 5200.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: