The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

R-29 in PassageMaker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: R-29 in PassageMaker Reply with quote

This might be of interest to those of us who were on the site before Ranger split from C-Dory.

Just picked up the October copy of PassageMaker. The new Ranger R-29 is the "cover boat" with a really positive write-up inside. Seems like Jeff and the Ranger factory guys did a good job. The speed is listed as 8-18 knots, with a range of 540 nm at 8 knots including a 10% reserve.

I did have to smile about the fact that it was being promoted as a trailerable trawler. With a beam of 10' one would have to get a special permit for each trip, I guess. The overall length is 33', and the weight with a "light load" is 9250 lbs. We know what happens to those weights in real life...

The base price is $215,000. I guess it will compete with the Camano. Being even occasionally trailerable might give it an advantage.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alok,
Most states will give a year permit for a 10 foot beam boat. In fact, there are many folks who are 10 feet or under who don't bother to get permits. However, I personally would not chance it at 10 feet. I trailered a boat with 9'6" beam, and it is definately more difficult than an 8'6" beam boat to trailer, especially on narrow roads.

I suspect that when you get through with a Ranger 29 you would be looking at $250,000 ready to go cruising--maybe more.

I have been aboard one, but not done a sea trial.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Don and Brenda

City/Region: Camano Island, Wa
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Photos: C-Quest
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the Bellingham ramp a few months ago and the guy next to me was bringing in a Ranger 29. I had a 1 ton pickup and loaded it fairly easily. Beautiful boat, but way over my price point, especially would then have to get a bigger tow rig. The wife is already giving me the evil eye whenever I talk about something new for the boat.
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be one of those guys that has trailered the boat repeatedly with no permit . Its more of a big novelty at first look and no one so far has gotten past that. As interesting as the boat is , it dosent look that wide but is within the weight towing limits of a modern 3/4 ton diesel. Its also quite manageable with my slightly modified 3/4 ton D Max and a breeze with a stock 1 ton dually. If someone is interested please contact us as Bobs [Thataway's] pricing is more speculative than current and quite a bit more than you can really be cruising an R 29 for . BTW I have been at 23 Kts a number of time on ours and it is as agile and economical as you might imagine . The 29 C Dory could not hold a candle to this craft .Not many new boats can provide that value . Yeah , I know used boats are a dime a dozen . But as far as new boats go , this is one of the true values in the marketplace right now. Oh and BTW they have warranty.
Marc

20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently there is an article about "pocket yachts" in the November/December issue. I haven't seen it, but I'd be interested to know what boats are featured.
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been "up close and personal" with the R29 at the SBS and at their enormously successful gathering in Bremerton this year where we had the chance to objectively compare notes with the designer and to visit with a number of R29 owners.

FWIW. I think it is a great boat. Completely blows away the Nordic 26 that they brought back this year. If it had been available 2 years earlier I may well have been persuaded.

Price is high but the boat is completely "finished". Nonetheless, we saw many great and innovative modifications, just like on this site.

Personally, being a "Brat" I prefer something that is closer to my origins and which leaves me more scope for customization, hence the RF 246. The downside of that being that I just forgot to add up the number of hours and $ for "bits" that I bought Embarassed

As for trailering, weight is not so far from the RF 246 but the width could be an issue. Weight wise I would not hesitate with the Chevy 3/4 diesel with Allison Tx. as long as it was with 3 axles and Electric over hydraulic brakes. Pulling is not the problem. Stopping safely IS.

In case I forgot to mention, they are owned and driven my real nice people, just like this group.

Merv

Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc:
You are correct about the speed. In the article, the cruising speed is listed as 8-18 knots, and the max speed as 22 knots. Not too shabby!

The interior fit and finish looks beautiful, and there are thoughtful touches throughout the boat.
Comfortably Numb

City/Region: Greenville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Comfortably Numb
Photos: Comfortably Numb
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The November/December issue of PassageMaker does have an article on "Pocket Cruisers". They feature the Acadia 25, the AeroCat 27, the Aylward 25, the Caledon 25, the Mayrik P214, the Minor 27 and 31, the Nomad 25, the Nord Star 31, the Nordic Tug 26, the North Pacific 28, and the Rosborough 246.

Additional builders noted or mentioned, among others, was C-Dory...they refer to the 23 and 26 (Ventures both, of course).

An OK article, but skin deep at best.

Greenville, Illinois

“For this is how the suicide of nations begins, when sentimentality prevails over sense.”
- Roger Scruton
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc,
My "Guestimate" of the coast of a Ranger 29 is based on advertised price listed on at least different 3 web sites--which come in at $244,000 to $268,000 for a boat ready to go, some without trailers, and NOT including tax, commissioning, or transportation--figure on at least $2,500 for transport, and $10,000 for a trailer--Then $ 6% (if you can find that low a tax) sales tax, on $240,000 = $14,000....What ever for commissioning.

If you can come up with a boat with Generator, AC, electronics, full galley, full safety gear, etc for less than $250,000 including tax, commissioning, freight etc--then you seem to have beat the others by a long shot and more power to you--and the lucky person who gets the boat at that price.
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
Marc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: